Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Johnny-on-the-Spot posted:

600dpi is a bit overkill for a finished print quality ready file, but I work at a small time print shop. If you want, I can do some text prints, and scan it and or photograph it under a loop. Feel free to DM me.

Yeah, I was expecting to print at 300dpi, which I understand is the standard. That's a very kind offer and I will take you up on it when I have a moment to get the file together, thank you!

readingatwork posted:

Hey I remember when you posted the first half! I enjoyed it!

Looks like your art's improved a bit since then as well. I particularly appreciate the attention to detail you've put into many of your backgrounds. Also I'm kind of surprised Ned survived at the end. He'd of deserved it for murdering an adorable rat like that :colbert:

Thanks! This is actually based on a true story, and since the real guy lived, I guess Ned gets to as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Good comic. Look, domestic rats are fine but wild rats are huge trouble. Reminds me of a King-of-the-Hill kinda of story in a good way.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I got the printed copies!

The print looks great in my opinion, thanks to Johnny-on-the-Spot for calming my fears there. I'm feeling pretty proud of myself for this one.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Very nice! Congratulations!

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
Looks great! Love the Cover!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
According to the access log on my webserver, I've hit 35,000 views between the webcomics thread, my thread, sufficient velocity, webtoons, and tapas (the last 2 have like 100 between them,) and 3.3k unqiue viewers.

Visits:

Unique Visitors:

I don't know what badgame.net is, but it seems like people are enjoying my stuff and starting to link it on other forums as well.

I just wanted to celebrate in my success, I love that my stuff is getting so popular!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Boba Pearl posted:

According to the access log on my webserver, I've hit 35,000 views between the webcomics thread, my thread, sufficient velocity, webtoons, and tapas (the last 2 have like 100 between them,) and 3.3k unqiue viewers.

Visits:

Unique Visitors:

I don't know what badgame.net is, but it seems like people are enjoying my stuff and starting to link it on other forums as well.

I just wanted to celebrate in my success, I love that my stuff is getting so popular!

:keke::hfive:

That's fantastic! Great to hear.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Yeah I'm super stoked, I've put a ton of time into learning how to draw and write, so to see it take off like a rocket like this makes me so happy.

E: I just wish I knew what badgame is, there seems to be a small community enjoying my stuff.

E2: Someone just told me badgame was a nazi off-site, I think I had heard of this before. Woof, not a good look.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 7, 2021

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

partially inspired by canada's impending election i have created a political cartoon

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Truman Peyote posted:

partially inspired by canada's impending election i have created a political cartoon

This is fantastic!

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
its a good one chief

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
This is the stupidest thing I've seen in a while

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

thanks, folks, i'm pretty proud of that one

Fangz posted:

This is the stupidest thing I've seen in a while

lol if you think that one's stupid the next one is going to be a trip

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I have a question for anyone that has self-hosted their own comics.

Is there a recommended web hosting service that cater to daily/weekly updates? Or do you just slap up a basic site and put each update on its own page?

fun hater
May 24, 2009

i use and like https://www.comicctrl.com/ . the phrase you want to search for is "comic management system" for alternatives

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
This is my website:

https://bobapearlessence.com
https://bobapearlescene.com

I use Wordpress plugins to make everything work. The front page is the latest post, and I can schedule updates or post live. I mostly just post when I'm finished with no update.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Thanks, that's helpful!

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003
Feels weird to write such an ad-like post here but you asked something that I struggled a lot for a while, and I really like what I finally found.

Personally, I thought that Wordpress with Inkblot or ComicPress were a lot of work to set up, and don't seem to be maintained regularly (though i could be wrong.)
Even when I got them working sort of, they were clumsy to configure and do even basic customizations with.
ComicPress seems to have gone to ComicEasel which I had a lot of difficulty implementing. I'm still not entirely sure what the deal between ComicPress and ComicEasel are.

So I ended up using Wordpress and the Toocheke Theme and Plugin.
https://toocheke.com/

I liked that it offered a lot of features like a mature filter, Patreon integration, and Collections based on character, plotline, chapter etc, all of which was controlled through the UI instead of having to do any code tweaking.
The theme is versatile and I could easily do whatever colors I wanted, and it automatically works very well with mobile browsers as well.
Its also free, and is updated regularly along with Wordpress.

If you want comments, you'll likely need to install a separate spam filtering tool, I use "Akismet Anti-Spam" which offers a free license if you're not running ads or selling merch.

Here's a gallery of comics using Toocheke for examples:
https://theme.toocheke.com/showcase.html

I ended up buying the premium version just to support the guy, and he was super responsive to the one question I had.

Quetzal-Coital fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 2, 2022

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Here's a situation that I've run into that I hoping someone here can give me their opinion on.

Is it considered bad form to ask a comic artist to imitate another comic artists style? Not the actual content, just the way they draw characters and panel setting.

For context, I've been working on a story that I want to make into a comic and have been commissioning a couple of artists to do sample chapters as a proof of concept.
So far the results have been satisfactory, but the finished art hasn't quite matched how I picture the story in my head.

Recently though I've stumbled across a artist who's style I've fallen in love with and it just checks all the right boxes for me. I've reached out to them about hiring them, but they are booked solid on other projects for the foreseeable future.

So the question I'm debating is if I should show example of that artwork style to another artist and ask them "Hey, can you draw like that?"

I just thought I'd ask some of the artists here first to see how you would react to a request like that.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 3, 2022

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Is there something preventing you from hiring the artist whose style you want to capture (famous, expensive, dead)? Is the project short-term or long-term? Artists are not machines so you should be willing to compromise on what you want to allow for your artist to feel like their work represents themselves as well. Style copy is not an uncommon skillset but you can evoke a stylistic flavor while still keeping the art your own. If that is incompatible with the project, then Andrew Loomis's "Fun With A Pencil" is a free .pdf to download.

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003
I don't think its unfair or inappropriate to say that a specific person's style is what you're going for. But you have to accept that it's almost certainly not going to end up *the same* and that a particular artist may not want to do that.
As the person above me said, have you tried hiring that specific artist?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Quetzal-Coital posted:

I don't think its unfair or inappropriate to say that a specific person's style is what you're going for. But you have to accept that it's almost certainly not going to end up *the same* and that a particular artist may not want to do that.

Oh, I'm aware of that. I just wanted to use it as a base reference point instead of constantly bugging a potential artist for style revisions to get across what I'm looking for.

I would have loved hiring the original artist but they are too busy with other projects at the moment.

I don't have much experience yet with commissioning artists so I'm not sure how many are "I draw it my way only" and how many are "I'll draw whatever you want as long as the money keeps flowing."

Vakal fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 3, 2022

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I think if the desired style is something that is attainable, like from commissions, but the artist is just busy at the time, that trying to just hire someone else to do their work has some ethical baggage attached to it.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
There's also a lot more to a comic then just the lines on the page, and the style decisions made when creating your own thing vs imitating someone else creates a weird inbetween space. It feels not good to hire someone else to do someone's exact thing because they're too busy, but if that's what you want and are willing to pay for it, you could try to just buy you way in. For a lot of people there's an amount of money they will put someone else's work aside to work on yours for, (and for a lot of people there isn't.)

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
I've never done comics, but if someone were to ask me to imitate someone else's style I'd probably say no pretty firmly.

Mostly cause I'd feel like they weren't bothered about my work specifically, just my potential ability to look like someone else's.

If I'm helping another artist by filling in for them then sure, that's totally fair to expect a sort of consistency - same with a company wanting to conform to a house style. But not as someone's second choice or budget option.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
After far too much time putzing around, I finally started making the dang thing. some of the lineart in the first page got messed up when I resized it but alas. learn as you go, right?

https://tapas.io/series/Goblins-Cavern

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Does anyone here know of graphic novels that lean more heavily on text than images to get its story through?

I know Moore's From Hell is a classic example, but I'm trying to find some others.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The I Am Legend graphic novel is very text heavy.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Cephas posted:

After far too much time putzing around, I finally started making the dang thing. some of the lineart in the first page got messed up when I resized it but alas. learn as you go, right?

https://tapas.io/series/Goblins-Cavern

This thread is Required Reading: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3948652&userid=0&perpage=40&highlight=goblins&pagenumber=1

I like how it's got a kind of Adventure Time vibe going on! Keep at it!

Vakal
May 11, 2008

al-azad posted:

The I Am Legend graphic novel is very text heavy.

Thanks, that's good stuff.

I'm just curious how they balance things when the text pulls most of the heavy lifting.

snuggleshrub
Jul 2, 2010

Quetzal-Coital posted:

Feels weird to write such an ad-like post here but you asked something that I struggled a lot for a while, and I really like what I finally found.

Personally, I thought that Wordpress with Inkblot or ComicPress were a lot of work to set up, and don't seem to be maintained regularly (though i could be wrong.)
Even when I got them working sort of, they were clumsy to configure and do even basic customizations with.
ComicPress seems to have gone to ComicEasel which I had a lot of difficulty implementing. I'm still not entirely sure what the deal between ComicPress and ComicEasel are.

So I ended up using Wordpress and the Toocheke Theme and Plugin.
https://toocheke.com/

I liked that it offered a lot of features like a mature filter, Patreon integration, and Collections based on character, plotline, chapter etc, all of which was controlled through the UI instead of having to do any code tweaking.
The theme is versatile and I could easily do whatever colors I wanted, and it automatically works very well with mobile browsers as well.
Its also free, and is updated regularly along with Wordpress.

If you want comments, you'll likely need to install a separate spam filtering tool, I use "Akismet Anti-Spam" which offers a free license if you're not running ads or selling merch.

Here's a gallery of comics using Toocheke for examples:
https://theme.toocheke.com/showcase.html

I ended up buying the premium version just to support the guy, and he was super responsive to the one question I had.

Toocheke is excellent and turned a project I figured would take a week into something I was able to do in a day. The best of any of these webcomic WordPress themes by far.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Vakal posted:

Does anyone here know of graphic novels that lean more heavily on text than images to get its story through?

I know Moore's From Hell is a classic example, but I'm trying to find some others.

There's a biography called I Know What I Am: The Life and Times of Artemisia Gentileschi that has some pretty text-heavy pages.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Are there any resources on coloring comics and infirmation on the process of making and producing them from the seventies and eighties? I'm interested in learning about that process.

I watched a video the other day that went over "How to Color Comics the Marvel Way" that serves as an appendix to How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I keep running into the same technical problem. This color distortion keeps happening when I try to convert an image to Tapas's desired resolution. I think it must be a problem with working at a high resolution (Clip Studio's "A4" size) and DPI (600) and trying to crunch it down to Tapas's low image quality. It reduces it to like, 15.43% size or something, which I can imagine leads Clip Studio to make some tough decisions about how to render the image.

Should I just set my DPI to 300 and work at the dimensions Tapas wants me to work at? Or should I ditch Tapas and fully embrace early 2000s energy and host my comic on a website of my own?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Try resizing in Photoshop or Gimp, I host my own website, but that's because I refuse to adopt the webtoon format. I'm almost assuredly less popular because of that. It'll also scale better if you do 2x or 4x the original format, that keeps all the resizing square which'll help with fidelity.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 10, 2022

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Cephas posted:

I keep running into the same technical problem. This color distortion keeps happening when I try to convert an image to Tapas's desired resolution. I think it must be a problem with working at a high resolution (Clip Studio's "A4" size) and DPI (600) and trying to crunch it down to Tapas's low image quality. It reduces it to like, 15.43% size or something, which I can imagine leads Clip Studio to make some tough decisions about how to render the image.

Should I just set my DPI to 300 and work at the dimensions Tapas wants me to work at? Or should I ditch Tapas and fully embrace early 2000s energy and host my comic on a website of my own?

you could send it to me and i could noodle around with it and see whats going on. might be easier if i can just open it up

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Are you working at 300dpi? Your lineart looks very fine, so there might not be enough data in a 1px or 2px line to interpolate. Give a beefy 600 or 800dpi canvas a try, so your thin lines are still relatively thin but have more pixel weight to them for downscaling to work with.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I figured it out! The issue was that when I was exporting the project file into a PNG, I was choosing "For Comics" as the scaling process. The "For Illustration" option was much more accurate at scaling it down. Not sure if this is really a permanent solution though--I suspect that if I have a page with dialogue, the "For Illustration" option might have some problems of its own. Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Here's what the finished page at webtoons resolution looks like:

Due to some work-life imbalance, I ended up doing two pages at the beginning of the year and then taking two months before getting to page 3. Kind of scary. I'm thinking it might be worth it to make a personal site for hosting just so it can be like, my own little world.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It doesn't, the CSP for comics setting has hosed up every comic page I have ever created. Always use for illustration imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I'm gonna try to make my very first comic soon! I have no idea what I'm doing here but it would be a fun pursuit to choose for my art therapy thread 🎉