Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

This is the first 7 pages of a 16-pager I've been working on. Anyone feel like providing some criticism? I definitely have a few weaker points in mind but I'd like to get some outside perspectives.

One question I have is about scanning - this is all done with ink on paper, and I scanned it in B&W at 600 dpi. I haven't done any touching up, but I feel like it's lost something compared to the paper version - a lot of it looks really aliased, and lines that have really different weights on paper look very similar here.

That's not the only thing I'd like to hear about, though - all critiques appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Thanks, folks, especially readingatwork - very thoughtful and helpful. I'll take it to heart and post the rest of it when it's done, and maybe I'll even get around to redoing a few panels that don't work so well, like the lady on page 4. I hadn't really known what to do with the big floor areas and the advice about trying different textures is especially helpful. As for the anatomy and faces that DrSunshine also touched on, practicing that is part of the point of doing this project - I'll keep at it!

Thanks also for the advice on scanners. I don't have one myself and had to get this scanned at the UPS store so I'll get the regular grayscale next time.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Thanks! I'll at least post the rest here when they're done.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Fortis posted:

Despite the fact that the developer explicitly does not recommend using Dreamhost, I’m pretty drat interested in moving my comic away from WordPress forever. I’m going to assume that the recommendation against Dreamhost is made mainly on the assumption that the average user lacks any web hosting/server knowledge whatsoever.

So I posted about this in the General Webcomics Thread and no one seemed to care much, but my comic, Blasphemous Saga Fantasy turned ten years old back on January third. I’ve honestly come super close to quitting altogether multiple times in the past few years, and I’m often unhappy that people aren’t as enthusiastic about my work as I am, but ultimately, I am glad to be telling my story and that this format has consistently motivated me to keep doing it.

I guess I’m mostly saying all that because I figure everyone in this thread probably understands that weird conflicting mix of feelings about one’s own work. Hopefully you all still find it as rewarding at the end of the day as I do. If you feel like you’re doing your best work, then keep at it. After a decade my only real advice aside from “keep at it!!!” is... maybe workshop your title a bit more if you’re not super sure about it.

I also owe a lot to this thread (and/or the contingent of some ancient general webcomics thread that became the first iteration of this thread back in 2012 or so) for a lot of constructive feedback and encouragement, so thank you, Making Comics thread. Even if the days of this thread being super active are over, I really believe that couldn’t have done it without you all.

congrats! I hadn't come across this before but you can really see the care that goes into it.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

And now, the updated beginning and thrilling conclusion of "Joey the Rat."

Critiques very welcome. Some people might remember I posted the first 7 pages a few months ago and I got some really useful feedback, I'd love to know what people think works or should be improved on the finished thing.

My plan now is to print it. I have some PDF/tiff files at 600dpi with all of the edits you see above. I'm a bit concerned about how smooth the lines will appear on the printed page, though. Here is what a slice looks like if I cut out 450x450 pixels and paste it into a 72dpi image:

The line edges are kind of craggy in a way they don't really look on the page. Do I need to worry about this before I send it to the printer? If I go to staples or something and ask them to print it at 300 dpi, will that be a useful preview of how it will look on the page from a "real" printer?

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Johnny-on-the-Spot posted:

600dpi is a bit overkill for a finished print quality ready file, but I work at a small time print shop. If you want, I can do some text prints, and scan it and or photograph it under a loop. Feel free to DM me.

Yeah, I was expecting to print at 300dpi, which I understand is the standard. That's a very kind offer and I will take you up on it when I have a moment to get the file together, thank you!

readingatwork posted:

Hey I remember when you posted the first half! I enjoyed it!

Looks like your art's improved a bit since then as well. I particularly appreciate the attention to detail you've put into many of your backgrounds. Also I'm kind of surprised Ned survived at the end. He'd of deserved it for murdering an adorable rat like that :colbert:

Thanks! This is actually based on a true story, and since the real guy lived, I guess Ned gets to as well.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I got the printed copies!

The print looks great in my opinion, thanks to Johnny-on-the-Spot for calming my fears there. I'm feeling pretty proud of myself for this one.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

partially inspired by canada's impending election i have created a political cartoon

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

thanks, folks, i'm pretty proud of that one

Fangz posted:

This is the stupidest thing I've seen in a while

lol if you think that one's stupid the next one is going to be a trip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I am mostly happy with this one, still working on my textures and anatomy. Also struggling a bit with backgrounds - I feel that some have too much detail to the extent that they make it harder to read the main figures, particularly the last panel.

The most persistent problem, though, is that it looks a lot better on the page than the screen. I've asked this before but does anyone have any guides or tips for scanning b&w art? Right now the procedure is

- scan in color, 600dpi
- open in photoshop, max out the contrast a couple of times
- use a channel mask to extract the art and fill it with pure black
- resize to 72dpi and some reasonable screen size

but I feel like the line edges look sort of visibly aliased.