Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
So, I'm planning on throwing my hat into this LINE webtoon contest, here's what I've come up with so far.

I've noticed that most of these comics are specifically designed for a mobile format - long, vertical strips that continually pan down. Trying to design around that has been a lesson in and of itself, have to kind of u-learn everything I know about panel flow since everyone is just going to scrolling downward rapidly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Well, I finally got my first 2 pages up on that Naver comics competition, I've feverishly scrawling on the colors for the next couple, and goddamn it I'm going to pimp this thing out everywhere I can, so throw in a vote for me if you like what you see. Clicking that doesn't count as a vote, don't worry.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
More dumb comics made in paint for my 6th graders. The original lines are drawn in Gimp with my wacom, and I draw example panels using mouse + paint in class.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Sep 18, 2015

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
More dumb comics what for to help my students practice their english. The Lesson theme is 'I'm faster than you'.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 29, 2015

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Made a thing for my school's yearbook last night. Took waaaay longer than I'd like to admit.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Another MSPaint comic for my english classes. Black lines done in GIMP, colors added via mouse in MSPaint in-class.

I'm actually really proud of the flow in this one, figuring out the best way to frame the panels and the house interior so each shot led to the next was way more fun than I thought it'd be.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Vermain posted:

Is there a reason why you're using MSPaint for coloring? Not a slam or anything, just curious.

I go around to different classrooms for my lessons, and the computers there are all varying degrees of terrible. Plus, windows is all in Korean here. Paint is the one reliable program they all have in common, so it's the only thing I have to make examples with.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I'm doing the usual expat-english-teacher schtick in Korea, and one of the activities I do with my 6th graders is have them make comics using the lesson's vocabulary/expressions. I just finished the this page and I'm pretty proud of the layout, so here we are. The lesson's theme is about describing someone's appearance. With the amount of homework / afterschool crap that they're expected to do, my students don't have a lot of time, so I try to make something that pretty clearly sets up the joke and format, but leaves the punchline / creativity squarely in their hands.

Of course, I scan and upload all of their work on this Blog, in case anyone wants to see what they've come up with in the past. Some of them are genuine gold.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 16, 2018

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Sometimes, kids just stumble into incredible comedic timing. This one earned an honest-to-god out loud chuckle as I read it.

And if anyone wants to see the whole mess of 'em, the comic blog has been updated

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
..... But what happens next?

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Workin' on a little comic for my 6th grade students - I'm doing an online summer course to teach some of the fundamentals of cartooning, ie, character design, composition, layout, etc, and I'm making 3 'story prompts' for them to pick up and take any way they want. This is the first, the beginning of a sci-fi story. I love drawing these simple, big-headed characters, which I've dubbed 'Bobs', and I've deliberately tried to design everything with simple shapes that shouldn't be too hard to replicate.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

DrSunshine posted:

They remind me of Kerbals :jeb: I like them!

Will you be teaching the kids about coloring too? The clean linework seems ripe for color, and I'm wondering what you'd picture for it? It'd also be interesting to see what the students' interpretations would be as well.

Don't really have enough time to color anything, but the kids usually do their own thing!

Well, if you want to see some of them colored - I've been using comics for my classes for a long time, but only as a prompt for english dialogue. I scanned a ton of 'em and put them up over here - https://bobworldblog.wordpress.com/- Here's a few choice ones -

EDIT - Just about wrapping up the other 2 comic prompts.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 17, 2020