Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Another problem with excessive worldbuilding, I find, is that it makes you want to rush your storytelling to get to the good parts, when the good parts in your head are never that good, and never as important as the meat and potatoes stuff you are currently doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Alright, I'm in. If I don't do this, I'll probably have done nothing productive this year. So, yeah.

Going for 10 pages.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Something to consider....

http://www.webtoons.com/en/contest

Basically it's some korean company expanding into western webcomics. They are looking for creators to submit 3 chapters (as in a collection of pages) of a scifi work by July 7, and then one more chapter per week until August. Top prize is $30k.

quote:

The Science Fiction Comics Contest is a global competition that was created to celebrate unknown and up-and-coming comic artists. A grand prize winner will win $30,000 and the second place winner will receive $10,000. Both winning artists, along with the third and fourth place winners, will also have the opportunity to become paid, featured LINE Webtoon artists.

To enter, artists over the age of fourteen can upload at least three episodes of an original digital comic directly to the contest's entry page. All entries must be in English. Throughout the contest, content will be judged based on reader popularity and audience engagement as well as evaluations by LINE Webtoon staff for creativity, originality, and the artist's ability to publish digital comics on a weekly basis. The Science Fiction Comics Contest is free to enter through July 7, 2015. After the Preliminaries, the contest asks qualifying contestants to continue through the finals with four rounds, during which time they must update their comic with one new chapter per week. The winner will be announced on August 5, 2015.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 9, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

neonnoodle posted:

That smells of spec work. It's sort of a gray area because webcomic artists routinely give away their work online anyway, but it's still "SUBMIT FOR CONTEST! $$$" and that kind of poo poo is most frequently predatory and awful.

Can you explain further? The rules seem fairly legit, and you do keep ownership of your entry. You don't submit more than three chapters unless you get on to the top 16 shortlist.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Mercury Hat posted:

How's everyone going on their Nanomango? I got started a few days ago and have managed three pages so far. I won't be able to keep up that pace, but it's a nice jumpstart to the chapter. This one's set right in Washington DC so I had a lot of fun trying to draw the landmarks and fudging a lot of the details.

I'm on a pathetic 1.5 :(

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Squidster posted:

I can't quite figure out what they're looking for - the entry size says " The cartoon image must be less than 800px wide and 1280px long. (JPG only)" . Does this mean they want 3 regular pages before July 7?

I think they want something in the Asian style of web comics, with chapters consisting of individual images - each only a very few panels, strung together vertically. You can see examples on the site.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 10, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

painted bird posted:

Okay, here's another try, this time without chickening out.

I'm considering trying to do comics again, after a long absence. Hi. I'm not sure what I'm doing and I'm very nervous and discouraged.

And uh, on another note. Remember when the thread had an IRC channel? What if we tried that again, but maybe more of a "comic creators shop talk" kind of thing, rather than a place for anything-goes comic discussion like the old channel was?

Basically, if I made a #makingcomics on synIRC, would anyone come. :v:

Sure, I'd join.

My Nanomango isn't going well at all. :(

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

McKilligan posted:

So, I'm planning on throwing my hat into this LINE webtoon contest, here's what I've come up with so far.

I've noticed that most of these comics are specifically designed for a mobile format - long, vertical strips that continually pan down. Trying to design around that has been a lesson in and of itself, have to kind of u-learn everything I know about panel flow since everyone is just going to scrolling downward rapidly.

That looks very good!

Though I'd shift the text box for the SMS box down a bit. With verticality in mind, the fact it comes up slightly above the depiction of the actual message might create some confusion.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Hey neat, Tokyopop is back! Let's all sign some contracts!

Luckily, a lot of people haven't forgotten how bad Tokyopop was/is to creators. Almost everything on twitter that isn't a press release is about people getting screwed over. News travels faster these days, I really hope that this doesn't hurt too many people.

Can you expand on this? I haven't heard anything before.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Did this guy attend any UK cons? His giant display rings a bell for me.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Space-Bird posted:

This has to be one of the most confusing things I've ever read. I can't really even comprehend what is going on. Is this some sort of weird convention culture thing? I've never really done a convention. It seems weird if some guy takes your table you paid for..to do nothing about it, then complain on twitter. Is it the convention runners fault? Like..what?

I imagine this guy walking up to a person eating a hamburger, taking that person's hamburger, and starts eating it for himself. The now hamburgerless person just sort of lies down on the floor and tweets about it later. Everyone shrugs and agrees it was probably rude of that man to eat that person's hamburger, but what can you do? Nobody bothered to tell him to not take anybody's hamburgers.

Many artists are shy and socially awkward, and just generally it takes some bravery to go up to a guy portraying himself as some kind of big shot and ask him to pack his stuff up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaching_experiment#.22On_maintaining_social_norms:_a_field_experiment_in_the_subway.22

Also

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/excuse-me-can-i-have-your-seat-please-6161057.html

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 4, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I do find it humorous that people keep warning others off of fonts that make things 'always look crappy', the way e.g. Gunnerkrigg Court does, into awesome looking hand lettering like, say Subnormality.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

HPLovecraft posted:

This is the first page of Jeffrassic Park:

Uh how many pages is this joke going to go on for?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

simplyhorribul posted:

Yeah, but, are there any tips how paneling - the sizing/form of them works? I mean don't get me wrong, I have sketched ton of pages but problem is that I'm rarely happy with them. At all. I've tried rigid page designs (2 by 3 thou, ended up using similar page layouts), going mental with the panel sizes (it almost always ends up with either awkward panel spaces or or completely useless panels), post-it notes (decision fatigue), computer and good ol' pen and paper, A3's with different sized margins, so on. And I have no intrest to finish crappy designs simply because, well, they are poo poo and world need no more lovely pages.

I know you should feel how they go, but I'm only feeling when it's poo poo and don't have clue how to fix it up in given space.

It's an art, not a science. In the end there are no hard rules. Some things I have been told

1. Aim to have one (or more, if you have time) INTERESTING panel per page. Like an establishing shot, or a neat pose, or a perspective shot. The reader will notice and remember that one cool panel even if the rest of the page is just talking heads with no background. Also it helps build morale to draw one panel well, than to draw 9 mediocrely.

2. Large panels = slow, small panels = fast, square panels = steady and calm, angled panels = surprise and frantic action.

3. If you are considering colour, make sure to have gutters to stop things from looking muddy.

4. Remember to have a clear panel flow. Never have the reader be in doubt as to which panel to read next. So if you have a 2x1 tall panel next to two 1x1 panels on top of each other, the tall panel goes on the LEFT.

5. If you want an action to look fast or smooth, if possible have it take place going left to right.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Sociopastry posted:

For people who do autobiographical comics, how do you decide how to portray yourself? I'm thinking that I'd like to do a journal sort of webcomic, but I don't feel quite right sticking as ridgidly to my appearance. What do you guys do? How do you decide?

Taking the question seriously, most comics artists who depict themselves tend to draw themselves... not really much like themselves at all. For example, as a jokey persona like 'Tycho and Gabe', or even as a cartoon animal like Arakawa does:

It's probably way easier to make jokes about yourself if you don't draw yourself as looking like you.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

FWIW I see that image as the sort of Inspirational Motivational Image you see shared on the internet - well intentioned but rather woolly. I'm not sure it is actually worthy of this huffy argument people seem intent on having.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Be aware though that fashion is not your only concern in character design. More important is often stuff like:

1. Keeping the thing easy to draw, since you will be drawing it a lot.
2. Making the thing distinctive, and also coherent in that it's easily recognizable as that character, even from a range of perspectives and zoom levels.
3. Having stuff in the costume to convey character. In particular for characters that need to move around, having stuff that helps convey motion - e.g. Ribbons, loose cloth, and yes, capes - helps a lot.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

I used to make comics when I was way younger and would sort of like to get back into it, but I'm also a poor college student so I have a question! Amazon has Manga Studio ex 4 for like half the price of base Manga Studio 5, would it be a bad idea to get the old software/is there anything super better in Manga Studio 5? Also, as an art student would it maybe be better to get a more well-rounded program like Paint Tool Sai or do Manga Studio's comics-oriented features outweigh the opportunity cost of maybe having to get a different program if I want to do digital art for school?

MS4 is an entirely different program to MS5. The main deficiency is in handling colour, but there are other things as well. As people have said, MS5 has sales fairly regularly.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

If you keep your background colours and lineart in separate layers, you can play around with correction layers and see if anything helps. Lowering saturation, luminosity and/or contrast can push things back.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Kave posted:

Hi everyone,

Was just wondering if anyone here who uses Manga Studio 5 has upgraded to Windows 10 and if they've experienced any issues?

I'm thinking of upgrading but the worry that things will be a bit wonky with manga studio has held me back from doing so.

I've upgraded two computers from 8 and have had no issues on either.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

painted bird posted:

You can't say that and not share.

You can go look it up... I'd rather not turn this thread into too much of a (what's the opposite of a circle-jerk?) targetting one particular crazy person on the internet.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 24, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Does Tapastic give you readership statistics? Do people have an idea how many people stumble on to comics there? How big is the audience?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 6, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

pulp rag posted:

Yep, you get both viewership stats per page and per series as well as subscription stats and like stats. I don't have a large audience and already have about 30 subscribers and about 1k views after just about a month of doing it there.

Can you tell me which comic is yours? I'm wondering if it's worth reworking some of what I have to fit into Tapastic's vertical format.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

pulp rag posted:

It's "Blaze the Blue Devil". I come from a traditional comic background, so I just work in a regular A2 paper size and layouts like what would be expected in a print comic.

Hope I didn't come off as bragging. I was more meaning that someone with almost zero following can get an okay amount of people seeing your comic just from the site's internal showcasing methods.

e: Aww poo poo, meant to say I have half 1k views on my comic. I'm not great with remembering numbers.

Oh, don't ever feel bad about bragging about your comic.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I prefer to use a tablet.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The key to drawing comics is drawing comics.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hey, if you are a fan of manga artists and their work, you're surely get a kick out of this documentary series Urasawa (Monster, 20th C Boy) made (first episode starring the mangaka behind Kuragehime, Higashimura Akiko):

https://youtu.be/QtPfR8qc3o0

Fangz fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 24, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

marblize posted:

Has anyone here ever submitted a future shock to 2000 AD?

Sending my first this week :D

Good luck. I haven't submitted, but I was at a pitch event during Thought Bubble.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I have recently discovered Manga Studio's Gradient Map Correction Layers, and it's pretty amazing.

Start with one grayscale image.

Add a warm highlights/cool shadows gradient map

And bam, a coloured image for you to start fiddling with.

You can use layer folders to apply a different map to the background.

Or fiddle with the colour scheme rapidly.

It's a lot of fun!

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 5, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Reiley posted:

It's way healthier in the long run to learn to pick your own colors and paint with them. There's nothing wrong with using tools and shortcuts but you'll get strong if you do digital art as much with your own two hands as you can.

I mainly see this as a way of prototyping a bunch of different colour schemes and tweaking things repeatedly without having to repaint each time. Which I think it's very powerful for - a nice alternative to use hue/saturation adjustments, anyway. It's also much nicer than multiply layers etc because the mapping of grey to colour does not have to be linear.

If you can put together a rough colour sketch for a scene or object, you can use that to build your palette with eyedropper, which is a lot more convenient than trying to figure out what colours work together purely in your head.

It wouldn't work for any monochrome image, which is probably why it isn't useful for manga. Note that the image I used didn't have much pure whites in it. Whereas manga is usually purely black and white.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 6, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Reiley posted:

Complimentary, contrasting, analogous colors. Yellow light, purple shadow. The red of human flesh and the blue of atmospheric perspective. the way we see an individual color is informed by the colors around them rather than solely by the light they reflect themselves. It's really worth your time to learn a bit of the science behind color theory so you can make informed choices instead of leaning on the crutch of hue sliders and eyedroppers for the rest of your life. I'm fairly certain manga artists don't work in black and white either because of a lack of eyedroppers, yikes.

I'm not really sure why this is a controversial argument suddenly.

I'm not saying throw out colour theory, I am saything that this is an useful tool because you can see the effect of such theories on an image as a whole and experiment around with different choices and have a look at what it would look like immediately? Yeah, you might have some idea of complimentary colours, so you'd construct a gradient using a blue at one end and a red at another, toss it on your image and see if you like it. And then if you don't you can go back in and tweak the blue to be a bit more purple etc etc. There's not one single palette that would work for every image, there's some things you can't figure out until you actually see it and decide, gently caress, the blue in this image is really overpowering the mood I want to evoke. At least that's how I work.

And no, the image you get out of this is not an endpoint for anything you want to put effort into, but it's an useful starting point. You'd go okay, this part needs reflected light, this part needs a bit more shadow, and so overpaint on a new layer. Or you just use this as a thumbnail sketch for your final image. The eyedropper helps then because your initial thumbnail acts as a palette, so you don't have to start again from the beginning on the colour wheel, you already know what your scene roughly looks like.

I think you missed my point about manga artists. The other poster was talking about using the tool to naively colourise B&W manga art. Which is stupid, because B&W manga art are not value studies.

I have no idea why you think eyedroppers are a crutch now, or somehow represent a lack of informed-ness in colour choices. If you want to do, say, the internally reflected light thing and have some warm saturated shadows to flesh, how else would you do that other than eyedropper your midtone skin colour, then adjust the colour a bit on the colour wheel to find the colour you need? Not using the tools on offer seems absurd.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I know literally nothing about marketing, but I'd love to hear how things work out for you.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

I actually read some articles that seemed to be claiming this a few weeks ago. Basically, the point that was made was that with the rise of mobile web and how a lot of peoples' only interactions or experiences with the web are through their mobile devices, webcomics are threatened as a medium because most just simply aren't formatted to be viewed on a mobile device. That, basically, webcomics are a relic of the desktop computer age and therefore doomed to obscurity after their brief heyday in the early 2000s. Thoughts?

That seems a bizarre argument to make. It's like saying the coming of CD-ROMs killed off videogames because most games of that era were distributed in 3.5in floppy disks.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

RasterPunk posted:

I'm a hobbyist; I have no interest in making money or publishing, so the scope isn't professional grade in terms of tools.
I've made several attempts at making comics and even games, but it's so front-loaded when it's entirely original. You spend so much time
writing new worlds, characters, conflicts, plots, etc, but you still haven't really walked the walk.

My conclusion: you have to do something real at some point, perhaps it's best to grab a "Starter Pack" as I call it.

Most game developers start out with mods, ROM hacks, and/or D&D. What good is an original idea when you've never even practiced executing an idea in the first place? So why not train myself with some established material that I like? Take Super Mario RPG and reinterperet the story into a comic making every bit of creative license to prevent from flat out copying without deviating from the core story or increasing scope. Replace characters like Mario with Luigi, add in original characters, or remove them entirely. The whole story is already written, the backgrounds are already drawn, and the plot is laid out.

In regards to legal issues I'm making sure this is transformative enough to be within fair use and I always pay my respects to the original creators.

I've got some questions.

The scope: think serial manga; the title pages are colored, but the bulk of its pages feature only linework. Based on this image, is it missing something?
    What are things that annoy you about fan comics? Or fan content in general especially in the context of Mario. What holes do they fall in to?
    I'm looking for threads focused on the community creating content for the forum like comics and games, know any even outside of SA? A "Jam Session" in thread form.

You can understand the appeal of creating fan-stuffs in that there's an established community of people who like a certain work, who will share and like and buy stuff based on it. In an age where discoverability is the big challenge, you could spend years and years creating exemplary original art and get no notice whatsoever, whereas someone could do a five minute scribble of an Undertale character and get a hundred shares on tumblr within hours. (Speaking from personal experience on the latter, less so on the former....)

It is however lovely in a bunch of ways to be a parasite on another artists' hard work.

It sort of seems like the model these days is for artists to view fanworks as an important source of advertising for their efforts. You draw them in with the fan-art, that is visible to anyone tag-searching on twitter or tumblr or off of reddit, and then if they like that they might look elsewhere on your tumblr or DA or whatever and see your original content. I know this model has worked for Cucumber Quest's gidigi in particular.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

You can't really call it a rip off because of that fantastic score and Clint Eastwood's performance though.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I was going to quit this, but I felt like just giving it a whirl, mostly trying to figure out how long it would take me to 'ink' a page. It took like, 4-5 hours. Still unsure if I want to continue, but wanted some opinions so figure out where I go next with it.

Context- The kid is going to hunt ghosts.

Got lazy and didn't finish the last panel. And it probably most likely won't be in black and white. But who knows.

My broad impression here is that you are working hard, but not very smart, it seems like. Like, you are going to the effort of drawing individual blades of grass and wood grain, and that must be time consuming as heck, and it's clear that's led you to use shortcuts like copy and paste in several places. But the end result doesn't look particularly good and the density of the lines in certain places are overwhelming your image. I think you need to think more carefully about how to make the best use of your time to make a good comic. And that might range from well, avoiding certain panel layouts to begin with, or I'd suggest, using more lines to suggest certain textures than draw every little thing.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I tend to find it way easier to paint grass than draw grass, if that makes any sense.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

That said, whenever I have an art problem, looking at how Yotsuba does it is generally a good idea.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

That font can be made to work, but your line spacing is excessive, and the text doesn't really fit the balloons well - try putting in the text and drawing the balloons afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think the new version is fine. Maybe you can free hand the occasional word or two but otherwise it's perfectly acceptable.

People tend to be dogmatic about hand lettering but I don't think there's any reader that really cares that much as long as it's well done. For me I find hand lettering basically doubles the amount of time I take, makes tweaking text annoying as hell, and hurts my hands. So no thanks.