Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Would be curious to see how many Undertale prints there will be on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Speaking personally I am irresistibly drawn to spending money on thingies involving cute animals, and don't give a poo poo about the latest clutch of anime fanart that are usually not the shows I'm interested in, or where I think I prefer my own work.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah, I would ignore all complaints about hair colour. I would say that I don't like the stylisation the foreground character is drawn with, though, since it clashes badly with the more realistic background art style. Especially for a first page, this contrast is jarring.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Space-Bird posted:

I encourage you to check out the works of stuff like Mizuki Shigeru, because contrasting realistically rendered backgrounds with extremely stylized characters not only has a long standing tradition but a perfectly cool and valid way to do things.

Edit: Here is an example

I think it's a different situation if the character is intended to stand out as odd or different from its background. That's not my perception here.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Standard fountain pens are perfectly fine to draw with. A cheap one has become my main physical art tool.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

mike12345 posted:

I'm currently working on the second draft of my first comic story. Thinking about the speech balloons - draw em freehand or use digital vector lines? What do you guys use for that? I like the digital option since it leaves more room for translations. Also, just use GIMP?

If you really want a free package go with Krita. Otherwise Clip Studio Paint is the best.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

People generally speaking don't care about you using photographs for references in art.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

mike12345 posted:

Well there was the whole debacle about that street artist using a Reuters photo (?) to create the iconic Obama "Yes we can" image. Plus I've worked at a publisher for some time, and we definitely got sued by a mapmaker who recognised his map in one of our illustrations (to be more precise the peculiar shape of a country, interestingly enough something mapmakers have done as a copyright trick since the middle ages).

Both of those cases are very different from the situation we are talking about.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

mike12345 posted:

You made a general statement about people not caring about using photographs as reference. All I'm saying is it's not trivial, but whatever.

What part of 'generally speaking' implies it's trivial? And how is photomanipulating a photograph, or using a non-photographic map comparable to using a photograph as an art reference?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm tempted to do this, need to try and get my current project off the ground.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

So I can't draw worth a drat but I've found an artist who has reasonable rates and is willing to to that part for me. Is there a preferred or industry standard way of setting a layout for an artist to work from?

I know how I want certain scenes framed out and panel layouts and the like, but want to check if there's a certain way to communicate that.

Why not ask your artist for ideas?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I have no idea what you are trying to say, Scribblehatch.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It really depends on the con. Thought Bubble in the UK is really good. Not sure which ones are good in the US.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Mostly posting this so I don't forget, but I met a nice lady doing eye tracking research on reading comics at Thought Bubble. She has a website with some of the results up:

https://comicsconventionsproject.wordpress.com/

Looks very interesting in terms of what panel layouts work and don't work, etc.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

KingKalamari posted:

Alright, I think I've almost got enough content built up that very soon I'll be ready to actually start me one of them there fancy webcomics but there are a few things I was hoping to get some advice regarding:

• First off I find myself in a bit of an odd situation story-wise. I've already done some instalments of the story I'm looking to do as standalone short comics and, all told, will probably have about three of these finished by the time I'm ready to collect everything together. The problem with this is that it sort of starts the story off in media res and I wanted to give things a proper introduction. I've got just such an introduction roughed out but as I have it now it's around 100 pages long which is going to take me quite a bit of time to go through. What I'm wondering is how the best way to organize this would be: Start with the introduction and then add in the stand-alones I already have afterwards? Start with the stand-alone stories and have the introduction as a sort of flashback thing? Put the stand alone stuff in its own separate section and go from the introduction?
  • Second - Update schedule. How important is it to have a regular update schedule? Like I know that updating weekly or more frequently is more likely to attract an audience but at the moment I feel like I can only realistically hope to put out a page a week at most which is going to be a very slow pace so I'm wondering if I might not be better off updating in chunks and batches. Is that a workable strategy or is it going to end up biting me in the rear end?
  • Finally, stuff that is not the actual comic I'm going to need to create. I feel like it's something that's often overlooked but I know there's a bunch of other graphics I'm going to need to create before I get this thing up and running so everything looks nice. Thus far I've got: A header image, Character portraits, navigational buttons and eventually some cool business cards (This one's a little further down the line but it's good to plan ahead). Anything major that I'm missing?

If your 'introduction' is going to take you two years to get through you need to stop and rethink.

Can't you build up a buffer and release at a faster rate? 1/week is very slow for anything with story.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Enh, that depends on whether your comic is ongoing or whether it has a clearly finite length. If you've done half the comic before you started posting you can fairly safely increase the update rate.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Have you tried drawing with a fountain pen? Or a dip pen, I guess. There are water fast carbon based inks you can use.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I sorta didn't mention it, but I'm doing webcomics again:

https://tapastic.com/series/Garden

I hope it's an improvement on my previous effort. Sorta wondering whether I should have a go at flipping on the Activate Ads button just to see what would happen, but the thought kinda terrifies me for some reason.

Also, yeah I work entirely in Clip Studio Paint.

Argue posted:

I just asked this in the general thread, but since Manga/Clip Studio probably has a lot of users here, I thought I'd ask here too:

Are there brush settings that will let me have a brush whose color will fade after a long enough stroke (preferably a customizable length), but which lets me use the same stroke to keep blending after the color's dried out? I think I have such a tool in Sketchbook, and I believe Corel Painter has one too, but I've fiddled with the CSP brush settings and couldn't find anything similar.

I can do something that .... seems ... like what you are saying by going into detailed options>Starting and ending and then checking the boxes for Amount of Paint/Density of paint, and picking Fade for 'How to specify'. I'm not sure if tweaking this will produce anything useful for you though.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 10, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I kinda want to read a Jason Shiga two guys on a couch comic. The premise could be something like "two guys are on a couch, they are told that the last person off the couch gets a hundred million dollars".

Then the murderous game of maths and bodily functions begins.

Also they review videogames.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Das Boo posted:

The Imgur thing should work fine. I was curious about the most digestible format, so here's what I got so far.

Well the general quality of the art is really good. I think if I have to criticise I don't agree with your speech balloon placement in a number of places. Specifically while readers know how they should read the balloons, you aren't making it easy for them with stuff like panel 3 -> 4 in http://i.imgur.com/rknCUr3.jpg

To get from one panel to the next following the conversation, the reader's eye has too go *through* a balloon in a panel that is further on!

So yeah, basically avoid putting balloons in the bottom of tall panels, and don't overdo balloons clipped to the corners of panels. Think about the path the eye has to follow.

There's also some "two upanddown to the left of one tall" type layouts, and that's a no no. E.g. First three panels on http://i.imgur.com/qeARK1r.jpg

Also I wonder if you would benefit from white or wider gutters. With your use of blacks things get confusing sometimes, see the panel border at the bottom of http://i.imgur.com/yKockGC.jpg

If you want me to keep nitpicking I think you might be over-doing the face + shoulder shot somewhat.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Have any of you bought banner ads? How effective are they?

(I know the answer is 'it varies' but I'm curious about the range of experiences)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

That's a bit depressing, but thanks.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Did you install drivers for some other tablet, perhaps? Alternatively you might have to turn off some windows ink things or whatever, that could cause problems.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Das Boo posted:

Bouncing back in for a direction check. My main takeaways from your critiques were gutter size, balloon placement, ease of direction and tangents. So here's the first 8 pages again to see if I'm actually improving it.

I'll mind the panel placement faux pas (two short preceding one long) after this, won't repeat it. I'm trying to cut back on corner-anchored dialogue balloons and attempting to avoid dialogue placed towards the bottom of a long panel. I've got one instance of that last bit thus far and if my shot at guiding the dialogue downward doesn't work, I might just redraw the panel. And I'll mind my tendency for OTS shots from now on. It's a bad habit I didn't even realize I had! :v:
I know I remain a complete novice with balloon poo poo, but I do very much appreciate the pointers you lot have given me.

Much better! Good job.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Is stuff like Top Webcomics significant from a promotional point of view or is it mostly for bragging rights?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

sweeperbravo posted:

you will pour orders of magnitude more time into a single panel than any other human being will ever spend looking at it, possibly cumulatively

Jesus gently caress that is depressing

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I send an email to the basement full of starving students doing it for exposure

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It was a pretty alright comic with a sort of built in comic player to handle pages, comixology style.

I imagine something like what you are talking about can be done in ajax, but this might be beyond anyone here's area of expertise. The other possibility might just be to offer a pdf for download or something.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Everyone uses HTML5.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

If you're asking for criticism...

It's hard to get a feel for the statue and where it is, especially since its appearance in p13 is not like its appearance in p1.
The detail on the helmet is missing in p21.
The floaty things each fighter has seems to appear and disappear, especially with hammerhead guy. The background crowd also appears and disappears from page to page.
p25 is just weird, you've got a sudden transition to this side to side pose, the two have swapped over positions relative to how we previously saw them, I just don't understand how we got there.
p36 is a really weird throwing pose.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

:D

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

As far as I can tell getting into writing comics is super loving difficult. There's a few specific places that look for pitches on comic scripts for example:

http://2000ad.com/submissions/

These will typically have their own specific formats they want, and that site has example scripts.

Otherwise you'd probably have better luck learning to draw.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

There really isn't an universal format for comic scripts outside of what big publishers demand. What works for some people is not gonna work for others. Some appreciate super detailed Alan Moore type things that specify every tiny detail. Others consider that a horrible intrusion on their creative efforts.

If you are pitching at a big publisher look at their house style. Otherwise talk to your artist. If you don't have an artist in mind and you aren't pitching to a publisher then...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Does royal road not believe in page breaks?

Well, it seems quite wordy. If this is the main character it seems a super offputting way to start your story. And stuff like

quote:

Despite their tough persona it is clear they are inexperienced.They take too long scouting an obvious small store and act too conspicuous.

Is going to be very hard to convey.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm not exactly rooting for any of these kids am I? Stick with the victimless crimes, not armed convenience store robbery while shouting misogynist slurs.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The problem is when you cross the line from 'don't like' to 'don't give a poo poo what happens to them', and I'm basically there.

Basically this opening is off putting and I am put off. You asked for elaboration and that's all I can give.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 26, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

A lot of people do things differently and there are people with very strong ideas. Generally speaking in comics it's gonna be a trade off between how nice you want it to look and how much time you have to put into it. Overall that page looks good to me, but I think you'd benefit from thicker gutters.

You might wanna try painting on some light from the sunset on a hard light layer.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

readingatwork posted:

Minor gripe: You have two wildly different color schemes happening on the same page. They don’t conflict with each other per se but they don’t feel like they’re working together either. In future pages consider bringing at least some colors from one scheme into the other to give more of a sense of unity (for example, having the sunset be pink or the plates be blue).

If anyone has any video/book recommendations on choosing color palettes I’d also be interested btw. I’ve been struggling with this stuff lately myself.

I don't agree with this at all. It's clear the two colour schemes are used to distinguish between the indoor scene and the outdoor scene.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

My somewhat cynical answer to that sort of question is: "if you are asking the question, the answer is no."

My experience is that your commitment to a long project like webcomics is only going to diminish as things proceed and you run into obstacles. If you are not sure about starting, do something else that you really want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Rambly thoughts:

1. you need more spacing between the text and the edge of the speech bubble.
2. break up some of the text into multiple bubbles, it helps pacing and readability a lot. E.g.

"Oh man!"

"It's finally here!"

"Dang! It looks even cooler in person!"

All should be their own bubble.

3. try and cut down on the number of words.
4. ditch the shading on the bubbles. Right now it looks like I'm reading dialogue written on deflated party balloons
5. remember that readers read left to right, top to bottom. The bottom middle panel reads as

"Um yea- I'll be right over"
"Well I got a monster here..."