Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Use them extremely sparingly. I've used them now and then for skies, and also for stuff like oceans receding into the distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I didn't have an example ready when I asked, but I was thinking something like this:

Mostly just using the gradients for atmospheric or optical effects, and mostly flat areas of color for light and shadow, a few for reflected light if I think it'd look good, and some outlines. The gradients would just be there to play off the rest of the lighting.

Yeah that works. Another thing to consider is using the gradient as a mask on adjustment layers. You can then fine tune stuff like saturation/curves adjustments in a non destructive way.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Most of the things only Photoshop can do are useless.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Abyssal Squid posted:

Counterpoint: content aware scaling.

Do people actually use that for not-loving-around purposes?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Is there any point to this weird-rear end digital vs physical argument? There's an awful lot of words being posted that seem to amount to 'I don't like it'.

Newspaper cartoonists are working full time and doing lazy-rear end stuff. There's web-toons that update daily that achieve quality better than most newspaper stuff. Look at SSSS for example. Or look at John Allison, who does SGR and a bunch of other stuff simultaneously.

EDIT: VVV and it is?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 7, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

You can use as many or as few panels as you like. People usually end up upping the panel count because they get frustrated with how much each update is advancing the story.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Is that text spoken dialogue? Because right now it reads as narration.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

If I might brag a little, my book just got shortlisted for the Scottish Independent Comic Book Alliance awards....

https://twitter.com/official_sicba/status/1006966934548594688

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It's basically just one joke contrasting the main character's somewhat over the top reactions and the friend's matter of fact ones. If you tone down the reactions it just gets longer and more tedious.

IMO the comic is fine. Could be a bit more artistically ambitious but fundamentally okay for what it is.

also anime is good, gently caress the haters

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Star Man posted:

Would I be a loving lunatic for wanting to color a 24-page comic book with Copic/Prismacolor/Tombow markers instead of using watercolors or going digital?

You know, besides, "just do what works best for you, dude."

Do a test page.

quote:

But if I go ham on watercolor or markers, the same amount of money for that stuff could buy me a good Intuos that's big.

Oh if the question is 'do I splurge on expensive art equipment', don't do that. There's lots of cheaper alternatives that are basically as good.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Depends on how much you paint or write.

I really don't advocate spending on expensive materials because for me at least I find that it makes me super precious about not 'wasting' it and actively discourages me from doing art.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

quote:

I've heard this advice before, and it doesn't make any sense to me - unless your story is designed to be never-ending, surely you need to know where you're going so you can make the story cohesive? Not to mention redrafting the start to fit with the ending better, drop in some nice foreshadowing, etc.

It depends on how you see 'too far out' and also 'plot your story'. I tend to have the general structure of the story planned out but only in a very loose form. The point I find with too-planned out story is that it's hard to hit a point where the story is both clear in terms of how one thing leads to another, and isn't too *obvious* in terms of well, X is inevitably going to happen. It can feel intensely artificial if you are drawing a page to lead to the next pre-determined Event, especially if your story is very character led.

My personal sneaky trick with foreshadowing is dropping in elements that *might* be picked up later but might also be left off as just one-off jokes that people just forget about.

EDIT:

Unrelatedly, what do people think about this video, that showed up in my youtube recs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNHzLFIZs1s

Especially asking folks like Reiley...

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 14, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

How did your last one fail

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Argue posted:

This might have been my imagination, but didn't Clip Studio have a feature that put all the text on a page in boxes in some kind of toolbar, so that you can edit the contents of the text by just tabbing through textboxes instead of having to find them on the page and clicking them with the text tool selected each time? Or is my memory playing tricks on me?

That's an CSP EX feature.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I don't really understand what you mean or expect. You can have text in multiple layers and it'll appear all together in the story editor. Or you can type directly into the story editor and it'll all be in the same layer, but each paragraph will be in a different text element in the layer so you can reposition them individually.

Make sure you press enter twice so each text segment is in its own 'box'.

https://www.clipstudio.net/view/img/en/functions/csp138_02b.png

The point of having it all in the same layer is so you can do stuff that affects all the text on the layer, e.g. apply colours, outlines, stuff like that. To move the segments in the layer individually use the Operation tool. (You use this to also move around stuff like rulers)

https://www.clip-studio.com/site/gd_en/csp/userguide/csp_userguide/510_tool/510_tool_operation.htm

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 24, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Fruity20 posted:

i'm getting around to doing a comic after the ones i did died in a matter of weeks. how did you guys manage to remain passionate in making webcomics? everytime i tried to get a project done, all sense passion is sucked away and replaced with a feeling that this is one of those boring office jobs.

Stuff that worked for me:

1. Don't make your comic too long.

2. Make sure there is something fun to draw on every page.

3. Don't dither too much, just do it

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1171352004/garden-a-graphic-novel MY KICKSTARTER IS LIVE!!

Please go check it out.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Does anyone have any good suggestions for promoting a comics kickstarter in this, the post-Project Wonderful dystopian wasteland?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Reiley posted:

Unfortunately the best advice is "already have an audience for your work"

Yeah, I know :gbsmith:

Curious as to whether anyone has tried buying google ads or whatever, though. Could that be worthwhile?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I just hit my kickstarter goal after four days :P

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hiya, my ~kickstarter~ is just under a week away from finishing, if you wanna get my book....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1171352004/garden-a-graphic-novel

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

oops I gave literally every female character in my comic a ponytail, help

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It means good sleep hygiene

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Star Man posted:

It's just this phenomenon I've noticed that's done by a lot of amateur and fan artists. I'm a hard black line and shape kind of guy with bold colors, but I guess ultramarine is just verboten and I never got the memo.

Look at your own avatar.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Anecdotally black and white books sell a *lot* worse at conventions etc in the west.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Your art software ought to let you specify stuff in millimetres and dpi.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Has anyone had any success with converting a normal panels on a page type comic into a LINE webtoon?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Well, anyway...

My new comic is up. :toot:

https://twitter.com/Fang__z/status/1101227472476098560

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

How big is the text on your comic?

I go with about 940px in width, 1300 in height.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

There's some IRL social groups I am involved in, but I think that depends on where you live.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Go there, but go with humility. Probably a cool idea to seek out comments from someone affected by the issue.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 2, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I thought you striking out that text meant it wasn't going to happen.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

I've decided that the problem in between myself and cranking out more pages of my webcomic was how onerous and tedious I've always found digital coloring to be.

So! To that end, I've invested in some copic-like markers and begun practicing coloring stuff before embarking on doing an actual full-color page.

Here's the results.

Trip report - I'm really enjoying it so far. Honestly, coloring with markers on actual physical paper has been what I needed to rekindle my 'drawing spark' so to speak, so I'm eager to see how this ends up looking when I attempt to color a full comic page. It's a bit of a learning curve, though, because the markers seem to smudge the ink.
Are you doing the inking digitally, or doing it by hand? If the latter, you can probably invest in some inks that are more insoluble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

This is the stupidest thing I've seen in a while