Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

I watched Stripped last night, and A Softer World was one of the featured comics. The last act was about the digital revolution and the bright future of web comics.

The last act seemed detached from reality, because the only people making a "living" doing webcomics are:
1) Living in a country with universal healthcare/ actual social safety nets
2) In literal poverty
3) Producing lowest common denominator product for over a decade
4) Yeah Aaron Diaz and the Penny Arcade guys too

If you count people who are recruited out of webcomics for other fields, the picture gets a little better. But they're not making a living at webcomics.

Edit: I don't mean to be so bleak. But literally the only reason to draw comics is because you love to. It's enough of a reason, but let's not pretend there's a pot of gold at the end of this rainbow.

thousandcranes fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

windex posted:

While it's hard to argue against this, most of these guys do manage to survive. But there is one area on here you're not mentioning and I'm not going to name artists afflicted but...

There are a handful of very popular webcomics artists with very serious mental illness. Most of them do receive some kind of health care benefits of some kind, but doing comics gives them enough income to live a life and keep taking their medication (by virtue of paying for it or not selling it for money), effectively giving them an outlet doing something they love and stabilizing their lives simultaneously.

You can paint that as bleak but it's actually really positive for those individuals because it gives them a community and support system. There are also many examples. Obviously doesn't work for all cases.

Living with mental illness and earning a living from webcomics are vastly separate topics. There should be a more robust safety net for people with mental illnesses. When people with mental illnesses live in poverty, it is a broader indictment of society as a whole. The webcomic earnings problem is a combo of a bad monetization model, the lack of business training of most artists, and a devaluation of visual arts by both consumers and artists. The living on starvation money, homelessness, or otherwise impoverished mentally ill person is a total failure of society to protect those who are most vulnerable.

The arts can help people with mental illnesses. It's clear that some people greatly benefit from their webcomics through self expression, validation, or emotional and financial support from their readers. However, it isn't a purely positive thing due to the LOADS of counterexamples exist. There are so many counterexamples that I can't imagine that the mental illness + internet combo is anything other than a wash.

I won't post a list of names either, but how many mentally ill artists have been targeted for being a "lolcow," who insufficiently incorporates contradictory and often incoherent "constructive criticism?" How many were unable to deal with a spotlight, or having their work policed for anything "problematic?" How many couldn't handle the commitments that follow a successful kickstarter? How many are burning themselves out over an update schedule?

neonnoodle posted:

Maybe it's stupid but it helps me to sort through the different branches of the medium. It explained for me why I've had such awful writer's block this past year: I'd been trying to write for a genre that I don't really connect with. Then this morning I revisited a strip that I started in high school and wrote 3 weeks worth of material for rebooting it. :unsmith:

Really excited to hear this, I liked one of your previous comics :)

thousandcranes fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 31, 2015

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

I feel like it just creates a reason for me to dislike something which is unrelated to the comic since I don't share the creator's taste in music like 90% of the time

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

HPLovecraft posted:

I've never drawn a comic before and could use a brutal critique from people who know what they're doing. I'm lost and dum.

This is the first page of Jeffrassic Park:

I think the lack of backgrounds and the fairly subdued shadows in most panels really hurt this.

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

simplyhorribul posted:

Yeah, but, are there any tips how paneling - the sizing/form of them works?

In general the larger a panel is the more important the moment is compared to other moments on the same page. A larger panel can also be a longer moment compared to a smaller panel. Take a look at some comics you like, think about what the most important parts of the page are, and see how they are paneled

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

Censorship is a fairly overdramatic term in the current environment and it's hard to imagine it might be warranted unless you are a US citizen drawing recruitment pamphlets for ISIS or something.

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

One of the primary reasons I don't read mainstream American comics is because of the constant artist changes. Like, I wonder why TV shows don't completely change visual directions every episode. Oh right, because it would be terrible in like 90% of cases.

Scribblehatch posted:

You've misread me.

tbh every time I see a back and forth with you, it feels like you are snippy. Maybe there's a point where people aren't misreading you, but you are conveying yourself poorly :shrug:

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

Hey Fortis, I'm a fan of your work but I'm also not caught up because I was waiting for chapters to end and then I literally do not understand your archive. Actually that's probably something you want to look at. I click on the chapter title and it shows me the pages in the chapter in reverse order? Why???

I like your use of colors for the artwork, but I tend to have fairly mixed feelings on the word balloons and gutters. Sometimes the colors work, sometimes I really dislike them. I think it would work better for me if those elements were way desaturated. I'm not really sure what the word balloon colors are supposed to be adding (other than indicating who's speaking??) anyway.

Your facial proportions get pretty wonky sometimes. Sometimes people's eyes are too close together or their mouth and nose seem to slide around. You have a charming style but it just feels like there's no anatomical backing sometimes.

Also I don't care about nudity and I have entirely separate reasons for not reading Chaos in the Tropics but :lol: if you think it's not cheesecakey

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

Fortis posted:

I guess I always liked the idea of colored word balloons and using them is supposed to give every character a 'voice', but I can understand that they could potentially get in the way, especially lately with people having increasingly elaborate word balloon colors. It might actually be weird to completely stop doing it now, but I might look into desaturating them within the next chapter or so in order to make them less distracting.

As far as the gutters, do you mean during flashbacks? I do dark teal gutters during flashbacks only, the rest of the time they're just white. I guess that creates a similar issue to the word balloons in that it could potentially mess up the colors (although I try to pick colors for those scenes that work with the gutter color, except for the first flashback I did when the colors were all over the place). If that's not what you mean though I'd like to know more about what I can do to fix up the gutters!

Haha, I actually never put together the gutters only ever turn teal and that it only happens during flashbacks. Wow I am special.

It's not always distracting but sometimes it just sticks out on a certain page or panel. Maybe it shouldn't be the same color for every balloon or flashback in a chapter. Like rather than Mindy being this mint green for this chapter, she could be mint family somewhat varying depending on the atmosphere of the scene. Hope this makes sense.

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

I've been listening to the Dirty Old Ladies podcast this week. It's Spike Trotman, Kel McDonaldand, and Amanda whose last name I'm not going to try to spell but she does Love Me Nice. If you are reading this thread it is probably relevant to your interests/super informative.

Anyone else listening to any cool podcasts in this vein?

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

As a reader I prefer a hiatus, but if the author misses the hiatus deadline and hasn't been communicating why on the website (in otherwords, I am not stalking your Twitter for info), it really damages my trust in the author.

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

The thing with black and white comics online is that the artists tend not to push the contrast far enough and so the page can come out boring looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

Never used them to host, but Tapastic is basically like a centralized DeviantArt for comics. I believe they even have some kind of per view youtube-esque monetization scheme.