Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Kojiro posted:

Oh flip, I love process gifs! More of these please, thread. Here's one for an older page of mine.

What are those filters that you do before and after laying the shadows? Is it to give the whole page a more unified tone/palette?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Yeah the format is weird, but the perks aren't too shabby. It has its own built-in patreon-like system, too.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Speaking of hand-lettering, does anybody knows of a template or software or thingie that can properly convert hand-lettering to font? I tried that one that requires you to write into a printed grid, but it's lacking accents and there's always one letter that fucks it all up.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Mercury Hat posted:

Clip Studio Paint (aka Manga Studio) is on sale for the next 5 days. Worth checking out: http://www.clipstudio.net/en

Ooh, I was all mopey because I lost my SAI version after my old computer blew up. This seems like a good replacement. Thanks, nerd!

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Have you tried the Frenden brush set? It's $$$ but I got it on a sale and I love love love them. Especially the pencil brushes!

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Ditto on everyone re: lettering. I thought making my handwriting into a font would be an excellent idea since it would combine the time-saving + tidiness / readability of regular typing with the organic feel of handwriting, but most of the time it ends up a weird mix which is kind of the uncanny valley of fonts. Almost natural but never quite there! The sad spectacle of a machine trying to appear human!
That being said, in this particular case it does look pretty good once the line width problem is fixed. If you considered the time saved was worth the slightly less natural look, I'd say go for it.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
The main thing about hand-lettering is it makes editing and revising your text (which you'll definitely have to do at some point, either to fix typos or to adjust balloon/text placement) a real bitch. On the other hand, hand-lettering can "gel" way, way better with certain art styles, specially if your handwriting is real nice. Flaunt 'em if you got'em!

There's always the possibility of using a template tool to create your own font that looks like your handwriting, but I haven't had great results with that yet.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Kinda late to the marketing/hustle discussion, but in case anybody hasn't seen it yet, Spike Trotman did a little thing that covers the basics. She also usually gives tips on her twitter and on the podcast she does with other comickin' folk (currently on hiatus). I think some of them post here on the reg? I'm bad with usernames, names, and most other things. Hello, podcast people!

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Hey thread! :wave:

Ok, so I really should have posted this a little while ago when the Kickstarter was still running, but I contributed a piece to FTL, Y'all!, a sci-fi anthology with a "space travel for everyone" theme. It was a fun project to do, and the kickstarter did really well, which translated into a happy buck in my pocket.

Here's a preview of my (8 page) story:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
thanks guys :3:

lofi posted:

How did you get involved with it? I keep seeing things like that and being all 'drat, I'd love to try for one of those', but I never see them till they're being advertised.

For this particular case I caught the post calling for submissions on time since I follow Spike Trotman (who runs Iron Circus, the anthology's publisher) on twitter, but I've seen a handful of other decently-paying anthologies through some accounts, groups and sites that regularly collect and post 'paid opportunities for artists' and such - Here's one and here's another, but I think you can find others easily in most social media. Even regular groups for artists, illustrators and writers can sometimes give out good job opportunities. I suggest keeping up with at least one local group and one general group, if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
:wave: Hey thread! Here's a sneak peek of a story I did for Iron Circus Comix's "YOU DIED" anthology:

My previous story was only 8 pages long, and this one ran all the way up to the 20-page limit, and it ended up involving a bit more work than I predicted. I actually planned to go past the 20 pages so I could decompress the layouts a bit (I ended up with multiple pages with ~10 panels, which is a bit much), but I ended up running out of time for that :smith: . Still, I'd say it ended up looking rather nicely, if I do say so myself :3:

Anyway, the anthology's kickstarter just launched! It's :10bux: for a digital download, :10bux::10bux: for a physical copy. It's 240 pages in total and plenty of great artists.
If you're interested in snatching one, going through this referral link would be greatly appreciated!