Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Idle thoughts: why do web cartoonists feel the need to glaze all of their artwork in red or orange?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Reiley posted:

It's to counter the blue of your monitor light and make it appear neutral color.

Why do I think that you're actually serious?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

MiniFoo posted:

because it can be a joke and actually true at the same time

oh poo poo that's fuckin spooky

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Would I be a loving lunatic for wanting to color a 24-page comic book with Copic/Prismacolor/Tombow markers instead of using watercolors or going digital?

You know, besides, "just do what works best for you, dude."

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

lofi posted:

Scan your pages first, then do a few pages to test. :science:

Yeah, that's what I planned on doing. My tablet is a Wacom Graphire 4 that I've had since 2004 and is kind of miserable for me to use (physically. It works just fine still).

But if I go ham on watercolor or markers, the same amount of money for that stuff could buy me a good Intuos that's big.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

lofi posted:

How big is it? I dropped a bunch of cash on a fancy A3 intuos and I've kinda realised I just don't enjoy working digitally. Unless it's like A5 size, I wouldn't upgrade.

When I said scan them first, I meant so you have a backup in case the markers don't work out.

Mine's 6 in. x 8 in.

I understood what you meant by scanning first.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

lofi posted:

Yeah, I've been the same for ages, I'm sloooowly breaking myself of the habit, but it's still hard to use nice paper, etc.

I had a drawing teacher who taught me that there's no such thing as sacred paper. And myvwateyrcolor teachers both taught me how important it is to plan ahead with wet media.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I swear to god that this is a collection of every single color palette used by digital cartoonists. Everything is so warm like a summer sunset. Why does everything have to be so red?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

lofi posted:

Shows up better on monitors?

Maybe people just prefer warm colours, feels more comfortable and... warm...

e: Also, I just saved the image, so soon there'll be even more with those palettes :P

It's just this phenomenon I've noticed that's done by a lot of amateur and fan artists. I'm a hard black line and shape kind of guy with bold colors, but I guess ultramarine is just verboten and I never got the memo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Are there any resources on coloring comics and infirmation on the process of making and producing them from the seventies and eighties? I'm interested in learning about that process.

I watched a video the other day that went over "How to Color Comics the Marvel Way" that serves as an appendix to How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way.