Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
I love RetroGhost's amazing comics.

Someone mentioned Adobe Livetrace and I am heeeere to say, if Livetrace is still as insufferable as I remember it being in CS6, use Vector Magic instead. I removed the URL because the subscription portion is pretty icky, I should have double-checked that before recommending it again. There's always going to be extensive editing any way you slice it if you're patching up low dpi artwork :(

For CMYK inks, it used to be that you had to eyedropper each color and ensure the K (as in CMYK) levels weren't breaking 30% or else your print would turn into a dark mess, but I've found that some companies will do screen-approximation while other companies won't. Generally an on-demand printing agency is more likely to do screen-approximation. Every printer is different so look into getting a printed proof, it shouldn't run you more than $40-$80 but it's so worth it. It also lets you hunt for typos!

Also greens and fuschias are the devil. There is literally no way to tell how those particular colors will turn out until you get the printed proof.

GreatJob fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!

frozenpussy posted:

Turn off Livetrace's preview setting and crank it to photorealistic and you get a very detailed vector. If you leave preview on, it crunches away every time you adjust a slider. Was that the issue?

I tried it on a graphic with simple outlines without preview just to see in CC, and it's as wobbly as ever to me. Maybe I'm not using some new settings? I'd given up on Illustrator's LiveTrace (now ImageTrace) for so long that I'd have no idea.

Original:

Livetrace (default high-fidelity graphics, expanded without preview):

Livetrace (sliders set for lower paths and color):

Vector Magic:

I mean, all of these are less-than-ideal, and I'm not going to argue which is best. For whatever reason Vector Magic was easier for me to edit after the fact (in Illustrator) because it had fewer tiny white specks inserted into the graphic.

This is coming at it from a 'one click, slightly-imperfect cleanup to improve DPI because deadlines suck' point of view, and as something in general that I enjoy talking about when it comes to making your files ready for print. Anyway it's not even needed cause the person in question made the comics at the correct DPI, so everything's cool.

edit: Whatever, I'll leave this up so people can see comparisons. It was interesting to learn more about livetrace since I last had to use it, but every option needs tidying up later. I don't really care for Adobe being beaten into people's heads as the only standard so I'm always on the lookout for smaller, preferably free, programs. I'm kinda grossed out by Vector Magic's new subscription model, though, I didn't realize it had that when I first linked.

GreatJob fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 18, 2016

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
What are your goals with such an update schedule? I think update frequencies and sizes factor much more heavily into monetization plans than story plans.

I can see lump story pdfs as paywalled purchases making sense with that update schedule, like Patreon or Gumroad. Page-a-day or something similar seems to be more effective for ad service revenue, with bulk but incomplete uploads doing nothing for you whatsoever (better off keeping pages as buffer for future updates to get more clicks/visitors).

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
Is anybody doing NaNoManGo this year? I'm using it to get the rough ash-can version of my long-form comic legible for it. Would love to have some like-minded people doing the same thing over November.

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
My NaNo goals are going well but they keep shifting. I have 8 chapters primed for shading and I've revamped my shorthand thumbnails up to chapter 10. I'm not going to have my ashcan ready by the end of the month but I'm happy with the work I'm doing and I feel like I'm improving the story by giving each scene a stronger individualized identity, as well as clarifying relationships between characters. I'd really rather have something I LIKE to give for feedback than to know something's wrong but not have figured out what was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
I've started a new small project related to my upcoming larger comic project. Submit a question, maybe you'll get an answer from a character in the little world I'm building. It's historical paranormal fiction set in the 12th century where demons control humanity with nudges and pokes from the shadows...Or is it the other way around?

Ask a Warlock -- Specifically, THIS warlock, whose name is Pierre. More characters will show up later.

The best questions, should I get around to answering them, will get a response in a sketchier drawing style than above. Anonymous asks are open so no need to have a tumblr account. Thank you for any help you can lend.