Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RobinPierce
Aug 29, 2009
Music on websites is the absolute devil if you're not expecting it! The rest sounds potentially interesting though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobinPierce
Aug 29, 2009

Yeah this is being talked about in every creator forum I'm a part of at the moment. What an absolute disaster of a person. I have no idea how the convention organisers aren't stepping up to stop him though, this wouldn't fly at any of the UK cons I exhibit at.

Follow up edit: I think what I hate most about it is that he's preying on artist's insecurities / conflict avoidance / counting on people being too nice to say anything. Half the people whose positions he stole this time had no idea they'd even been allocated those tables to begin with, mind you. This year he's shifted 3 A-list artists whose fans now had no idea where to find them because the show guide is now inaccurate. Horrid person.

RobinPierce fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 4, 2015

RobinPierce
Aug 29, 2009
The saga of Arthur Suydam continues: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/07/04/table-swipe-file-arthur-suydam-at-montreal-comiccon/

RobinPierce
Aug 29, 2009

Fangz posted:

Did this guy attend any UK cons? His giant display rings a bell for me.

Not any of the big ones in the last few years, I would have noticed.

Thing is - these are all Guests. I do not believe any of them are actually paying for tables, but Suydam seems to feel he's entitled to more space than he's being given, and by drat he's taking it. What I don't understand is where on earth these 'extra tables' that the guests are being shifted to are coming from. Are extra tables normal things at american cons? I have never seen a stray table at a major UK con.

RobinPierce
Aug 29, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Say, how do you guys keep it up? Do any of you have full-time jobs? My job usually gets me home by like anywhere between 6:30-8:30 pm each night, so I'm always too exhausted by the end of the day to sit down and draw. Usually I just feel like lying in bed watching Youtube videos, anime, or playing Hearthstone until falling asleep around 10:30 or 11 PM for the next day.

Incredibly careful scheduling.

I work 40 hours a week in my day job, so most of my comic time is on the weekends. That's generally 2x 10 hour days to get a page and a half done, then during the rest of the week I finish the second page and stuff in more work whenever I can. Sometimes I'm just too tired to work through the evenings, but mostly it works. If I know i have something social on a weekend, I need to work harder during the week. It's a trade off. Ultimately I have convention-based deadlines, and if I don't have the next issue ready by the next convention I don't sell as much. So. Needs must.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobinPierce
Aug 29, 2009
It feels like really really different things are being talked about here. We've got:

Fully rendered full colour
Fully rendered greyscale / monotone (Dead Winter / Lackadaisy)
Line art + monotone cell shading or greyscale cell shading
Black and white line art only.

While any of these can look absolutely spectacular, you often get a perception issue from punters / readers / not artists. While anything fully rendered is naturally going to take longer, in my experience it is also more eye catching. This is particularly important if you're selling at conventions. I doubled sales when I swapped from black and white to colour, and it was not a question of skill.