Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

thousandcranes posted:

I watched Stripped last night, and A Softer World was one of the featured comics. The last act was about the digital revolution and the bright future of web comics.

The last act seemed detached from reality, because the only people making a "living" doing webcomics are:
1) Living in a country with universal healthcare/ actual social safety nets
2) In literal poverty
3) Producing lowest common denominator product for over a decade
4) Yeah Aaron Diaz and the Penny Arcade guys too

If you count people who are recruited out of webcomics for other fields, the picture gets a little better. But they're not making a living at webcomics.

Edit: I don't mean to be so bleak. But literally the only reason to draw comics is because you love to. It's enough of a reason, but let's not pretend there's a pot of gold at the end of this rainbow.

There was also kind of the weird narrative where a bunch of people they interviewed said their comics "blew up overnight," which, if it was ever a common thing , basically never ever happens in The Year Of Our Lord 2015

E: Does anyone know if the supplementary interviews were....better? They omitted a lot of interviews they advertised by folks who would probably know what they were talking about.

FunkyAl fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Here's a Weird Worldbuilding Trick: If you set it in present-day earth, the worldbuilding is already done for you!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Rethy posted:

Man, I can't write wizard battles with this.

Exactly what are you trying to say about wizards, here? Did you not SEE the Harry Potter Movie?

Space-Bird posted:

I keep trying to write about present day earth, but by the time I start writing about the present it's already the past. PLEASE ADVISE.

Instead of "drawing" your comics, perform them live over internet simulcast

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Rethy posted:

I was being entirely facetious back there, but if we're really honest with ourselves, JK isn't the strongest world builder out there. Like, all transactions are performed with three denominations of pocket money? Which can be forged by school children? In the gold standard? Horrifying!
That's in no way a slight on her ability as a storyteller, or the phenomenon of the series, so I guess the takeaway for us all is you don't need to sweat the small stuff!

Yeah exactly! I like to joke about worldbuilding, as expressed just a few posts ago, but the reader is going to bring a ton of assumptions about how things operate in the real world to your comic, as you the author brought those same assumptions into the creation of your world. So it's like, you can just COAST on ten thousand years of human civilization, no problem.

It's like, Marvel Cinematic Universe? Big deal!! All movies ALREADY take place in the same cinematic universe: ours. (which is also basically true on the level of movies and other works of art constantly informing and referencing each other so ayyyyyy)

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Space-Bird posted:

I'm sort of confused as to what you're saying here. Every person has a different experience, and every story needs a setting, and as an author you have to explain it, regardless of wizard fights of something 'real'. If you're saying we only have our own experiences to draw upon to tell a story, real or imagined, sure. I guess people get really funny about the phrase 'world building' in general. I dunno. You gotta tell a story, so you gotta build some worlds...but building a world isn't story telling, just part of it. I guess.

I'm mostly joking, but I guess what I'm saying is that your own experience colors everything you're doing anyway (worldbuilding included) so character decisions and themes based around your own experience go a long way.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I would just forgo lettering , add spoken dialogue, maybe some music, and maybe sequence panels to be shown one before the other in the same space, like one panel for every thirtieth or twnty-fourth of a second.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Echo, why did you pick this style as the aesthetic choice for your comics? PERSONAL OPINIONS about realistic 3d renders aside, part of the strength of ~drawn media~ comes from the ability to distill complex emotions or ideas into seemingly-simpler, iconic images. Like, what does a line make you feel like? why does it feel different from this other line? What are you conveying by your choice to seemingly forgo lines and other "marks" by making it realistic? Hell, even in live action stuff, actors are playing broader than they would be as regular people, and all the other elements of production are working to make the idea more "readable." What you've got right now looks like screenshots of a movie where nobody really understood lighting or staging.

QUESTION OF THE DAY: Why did Art Spigelman draw Maus with iconic characters instead of realistic ones?

Also I hate this image, this image is trite buzzword bullshit. loving of course you want to make your characters "compelling," everyone knows that you dumb cubicle, maybe next time write down how to do that. Except then you couldn't post it on the internet and get a lot of shares, without having done anything at all.

Fuckin grey rear end cubicle wall. I bet Dilbert took this picture. gently caress Dilbert

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Scribblehatch posted:

It's mostly about the false gods part, you silly goose.

also bad

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
E: would elsa jerk it with an icicle or with olaf's nose ^^^

Here's how you write characters: stimulus->response. The rest is just SALAD DRESSING.

That's like half a joke and half something I actually believe but BASICALLY however you write characters, it shouldn't be as broad as "make them good," or even "make them relatable." Give em a desire and make em act on it! Make your story about something, and have your character react to it! Base your character on yourself, and then base the other character on your best friend and brother in gaming!! There's a million ways to do this poo poo and that image just AIN'T CUTTIN IT

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Joke's on all you guys, this guy works for PIXAR and this is a leaked screenshot of FROZEN 2, the first feature length film entirely animated in source filmmaker. They had to reverse-engineer the Brave hair technology to make sure Elsa's pubes were shaved the entire time

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Troposphere posted:

I don't think people who make their characters not wear underwear realize how gross vaginas can get

I'd actually love to see a story about a vagina-havin' warrior that doesn't wear pants so they can just pee/ovulate during battle without having to clean up.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Fangz posted:

FWIW I see that image as the sort of Inspirational Motivational Image you see shared on the internet - well intentioned but rather woolly. I'm not sure it is actually worthy of this huffy argument people seem intent on having.

I hate that poo poo and want to shut it down as many times as I see it lol

VV those are moderately helpful VV

FunkyAl fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 28, 2015

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Man I GUESS, but you posted em up there like they were all the big cheatsheet to writing comics

It's some local single mom invents one weird trick to write all stories and now screenwriters hate her kinda poo poo. It's 2/3 good advice, but also meant to be internalized in a way that's less, "here's how you do things" and more "here's how these people did things, here's how it worked for them, here's what I think about their work, now I'm going to consider that along with countless billions of other things I have read an seen in an attempt to create a work of art others find compelling." It's abstract and complicated in a way helpful images like these either overlook or assume you're already considering

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

sweeperbravo posted:

As the "dumb moves in advertising" thread would say- BUT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT IT SO IT WORKED or something

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Fortis posted:

I guess that is a lot of feedback to ask for, but it doesn't even have to be about the stuff I just said. I just love feedback and knowing what I can work on. So if anyone has any I would really appreciate it!

I am ~way behind~ on BSF but from the looks of it: I am hella enjoying what you're doing with your panel layouts! The latest page is SUPER dynamic and readable + you're doing good things with color. I actually disagree with part of what radicalwall is saying, I think the harsh shadows actually work really well tonally, at least for this latest sequence. I DO agree with their point AB atmospheric perspective, which is tricky when you're doing flats but if you manage to get that good n readable then that's like the whole Next Level of color.

WITH REGARDS to your staging/blocking/background problems, I do think you're leaning a little heavy on close-ups, but it's also not as big a problem as it could be because you're working to keep them interesting within the composition of the whole page. I think what could help is less trying to conceptualize the background as a solid setting they're in and more as a way to conceptualize visual information, of that makes sense. Like this page http://www.bsfantasy-comic.com/2015/06/30/page-460/ seems a little flat because the blocking isn't really implying anything about these guy's relationship. Even something as simple as tilting the camera up and down on them would help. And with action sequences, try to think about the characters' relationship to the conflict at hand and try to block it that way. Like, for example, if the slime king gets big and fights someone again, where can you place him to make his scale really FEEL large? How would shots of differ between him being in the foreground/being in the backround? If he's fighting an enemy in the background, and like, seb, was fighting one in the foreground, and you lined them up, what does that say about the conflict at hand? How would you block him when you're thinking about him (or anything else really) as a character vs. a "force?" Is there a difference?

You're definitely headed in the right direction tho and I'm gonna go catch up

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I've been out of the loop for a while, how is the webcomics scene these days. How are you people.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

fun hater posted:

webcomics are over. we tried to call you!!

shoot!! i never got paid!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
When I read a comic, I really want to know what's grinding the author's gears this week, so i like for the landing page to be a longform essay about whatever they have to complain about. Also, if you can find the time to make additional content like videos or brand awareness-rallies, it's best to put those in a place of higher prominence than your comic.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

"A FOX'S TAIL"

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The Internet is no place to make money.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The most important thing in terms of adaptation/homage is making sure you understand the intention behind the original and making sure your translation/commentary on the original stands well enough on its own that the uninformed viewer won't notice, and then once they Wise Up it'll enrich their appreciation of your work. FOR EXAMPLE The Simpsons homaged a million movies all the time and still managed to stand on its own, whereas something like dresden codak is content to lift most of its imagery from Metropolis while completely ignoring its themes.

SO basically, just make your comic fun and sincere and Full Of The Spirit Of Adventure like the mario rpgs are (were) and you'll be a-ok!!!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
As I've adapted to making ~animated short films~ I've started to fall in love with the short subject as a means of expression, so I pose the question: why not, instead of a Worldbuilding Tolkeinesque Epic, make a bunch of short comics that explore any number of ideas in HALF the time???

BTW this ain't really posed at anybody, it's more of a rhetorical thing that maybe you could consider!!!! I know I'm hungry to read more short, self-contained poo poo.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Reiley posted:

I've been working on a videogame for the past year or so and part of our design doc is a sort of randomly-seeded objective (a connected intro/endscreen that gives a stage a feeling of purpose) and I'm actually playing with the idea of using that as a way to explore side-stories and expand on the little threads of the setting that a main comic storyline wouldn't ever get to. It's been a lot of fun and I think it'd be a cool medium to try it with.

That's cool as hell!! How close is that to being done, btw, I've been very impressed with all the stuff I've seen about it THUS FAR.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Retro Ghost posted:

Hi hello!! I have a few questions and thought maybe you guys could help me. I'm getting ready to make a 15 page comic and I've never really done anything like that!

Recently, I've been making a short sketchy comic every day until valentine's about my horrible first relationship. (they're true stories but i made us both sum badass fursonas so he'd be more anonymous)
So, I made my hand writing into a font because my handwriting is horrible and I think it's illegible most of the time. You can see the font in the last 2 comics, and I'm wondering if I should stick with the font for my longer comic, or try hand writing it again?

http://imgur.com/a/CSNbT (language is nsfw!)

Also, for formatting, I have all the pages set up in 3x3 rectangles, all about the same size. I kind of based it off MAD magazine comics because mine will also be a comedy. Some pages are different and have bigger panels, but most follow the 3x3 layout. I'm not seeing a lot of webcomics that do this really simplistic layout, and I'm wondering if I should rework most of them to be more expressive? Do you think it will turn out atrocious? I know it's hard to say with nothing to base off of. Thanks!

These are the best, purest cartoons I've seen in what feels like forever

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
ay i decided to do a graphic novel and finish it before showing it to anybody, will post here when done

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Retro Ghost posted:

Hi friends! I'm back and I started my longer comic, I have the first page done... I decided to go with the font even though most of you said not to, because I'm lazy.

http://i.imgur.com/v5eDX6t.png

Let me know what you think, maybe? I'm really new to all this stuff and it'd be nice to get some pointers!

(also my ex found the comics about him........and he...........cried about it ;) )

It's lookin great so far! My only real comment is maybe to consider the hierarchy of characters/their environment/all that good blocking jazz a little more when you're setting up a scene. Like, obviously you're goin for a sort of flat style, but there's moments where the "camera" could be positioned a little differently, like making queenie seem a little smaller in panel 3 (her pose is workin well tho) or in the last panel, just like moving the vanage point a little so the door isn't cut off in such the way that it is.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

DrSunshine posted:

And there we go! Thoughts?

Make a second page!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I found a fountain pen on the curb in a box and it has made drawing comics fun for the first time in as many years

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Elsa posted:

That's a good premise. A magical fountain pen that solves writer's / artist's block and makes your comics wildly successful. But then "bad people" who are looking for the pen recognize the influence of the pen in your art and want it back.

The power of the pen can't be stolen, and it has to be lost or given away. So the bad guys doxx you and take to social media to attack your enjoyment of art.

Add a love interest and maybe a broken home life and you're golden

The real magic secret is that it is a cursed pen that can only draw nudie comics

NSFW but "tasteful"

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Crap posted:

i would probably not put that thing in the corner unless you're cool with the first search result being your hentai-foundry
Of course it directs people to my hentai foundry, it's a webcomic about a naked booby vampire

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Crap posted:

cc has a bunch of horny boys

I'm in it for the BENJAMINS

Edit: Like my forefathers before me who left Indiana to die and dig gold and black goo out of the ground in california, i draw the booby vampire on the internet for computer information that i can exchange for money and crystal pepsi

FunkyAl fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 12, 2016

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Reiley posted:

I salute you, Funky Al, on your most noble of endeavors. Godspeed to you and your ghoulish gams.

This actually means a lot haha!! I admire your work a lot.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I dunno, I wouldn't mind a new webcomic network. The awesome combined power of twitter and tumblr and the hot, fresh, something awful forums have led me to believe that there hasn't been a new webcomic since 2013.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
i draw mine with a spirograph!

e: here's some comics pages i 'graphed a year ago but am not going to do anything else with

FunkyAl fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 9, 2017

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Frankly, I think webcomics is ready for a silver age of Two Guys Sitting on the Couch Comics. When was the last time you read a good (bad) Two Guys Sitting on a Couch Comic?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Hello! This isn't a webcomic but it has a character from my old webcomic, and it is also "sequential," please enjoy! https://vimeo.com/217931360

FunkyAl fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 18, 2017

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

I drew some comics again!!!! comics are good and help me

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

sweeperbravo posted:

But a better suggestion is, if you aren't good at color, it's rpetty easy to learn and start experimenting with (espeiclaly since you're using digital media so you can change things at whim and not get trapped in an ever darkening, muddying bog of ink).
Rowland Hilder's book "Starting with Watercolor" really changed the way I thought about color (and technique and stuff as well, but I'm recommending it to you arpticularly because of the color part). Yes the book is about watercolor paint but the color theory, as presented, can be applied to other media. See if you can pick up a copy, they may have one at a local library, and there's also some for less than $10 on amazon and such.

To add to this, learning how to use color in a psysical media can only improve your understanding of color in a way (whoa hold on contoversial opinion comin watch out uh oh.....) that digital media just can't! Like, i've been learning to oil paint this year and colors in real life have started looking better. watercolors or oil pastels are great places to start because theyre cheap and easy to use!! AND if youre still interested in lesrning how to explore a limited palate, its much much easier when you have physical tools instead of the virtual infinity a computer is constantly trying to offer you

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
hi thread, i "made" a "comic"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Reiley posted:

How do you draw on paper? Personally I rest the entire side of my head on the desk next to my sketchbook and do all the pen movement with my wrist and fingers. My other arm shields my labors from onlookers.

sometimes yes! but lately i've been trying to swing me arm out more and draw more in an open position, like tryin to get nice jules feiffer thing goin on with de lines