Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hand-lettering is awesome, hand-letter every day. And only color in watercolors. And don't put your comic on the internet. And actually just go be an art teacher in Ohio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mercury Hat posted:

I did hand lettering for awhile, and I think I really benefited from it. For me, the opposite of Subnormality happened, where I realized how much dialogue I was trying to cram into a page and it really forced me to scale it back. Hand lettering also makes you really aware of how your dialogue is a part of your comic page, not just a separate layer floating on top of it. If you aren't, you really should be planning your dialogue and balloon placement in your thumbnailing stages. Dialogue is the first thing I put in before I move on to inking.
This has been our experience almost exactly. The way we're writing scripts and laying out panels has totally changed.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm working on a project with my girlfriend because it's the only way I can be motivated to actually finish something - I have to be responsible to somebody else.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

sweeperbravo posted:

I hope that when I actually am able to get back to making pages after my script is done that I'm not going to go insane on it and wind up burning out after like 4 days of manic drawing.

I might break one of my unwritten rules and start working on drawing the first few (written) scenes of the chapter while the script is still unfinished :aaa: It feels kind of risky but I would really like to start updating again by August and who knows whether everything else will be done by then.

:sigh: This used to be a lot easier.
Drawing will change your script. You'll decide a page is boring, or you don't like how it looks or you hate the pacing. Do some pencil sketches of your pages, then you can make what script changes you like.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Avshalom posted:

I have trouble with pre-censorship too. From the moment I sit down and my pen touches the tablet, I'm thinking, "Is this decent? Does this concept deserve to be expressed?" As the nib traces the supple curves of my character's fine and fruitful body and my erection quietly swells I wonder, "Am I contributing to the plot with this intense and unapologetic nudity? How does this character's bulging scrotum define his personality? Are these rosy nipples a metaphor for something?" Is this art? Is this a cultural event? Every comic page is an education, a revelation, a red-hot orgasm. How can I deliver yet more nudity into a world already saturated with the wonders of the human figure? Everywhere I turn, another sculpted buttock vies for my attention. Bosoms wobble and pulse, their lines gilded by sunlight. Rigid cocks bristle in the shadows. I reach under the desk and stroke myself thoughtfully as I ponder the dilemma: should I make my character wear clothes or not? Would this scene be better if he were naked? Would the emotional thrust be increased if she was being railed with multiple monstrous vibrators? Will I be slandered all over the internet for offering a tantalising glimpse of exquisitely groomed pubic hair? The drawing unfolds before me and in my agony I erupt like a Krakatoa of cum. There they are! The breasts! My anguish, my ecstacy, my artistic vision, all are unveiled at last. My soul is bared online for all to see, to speculate over, to analyse both intellectually, with their minds, and sexually, with their hands and cocks. I post a link to the update on my Facebook and my mother says it's "interesting."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I am going to embroider that post on a pillow.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Avshalom posted:

:rolleyes: Okay, let's get this thread back on-topic. Now we're talking about likeable vs. interesting characters, I just thought I'd run a few character designs for my comic relaunch past the thread. My designs in the past have been pretty flat and sameish, they didn't express the characters' background, culture or personality very well. I've been dabbling in a style that mixes photomanipulation with digital painting, so it's got that nice foundation of realism but with a veneer of artistry over the top. It's good because I've always had a tendency to get caught up in re-drawing and worrying about little details. This way I can get a comic out as soon as I've collected the photos. Anyway, here are the characters (all the photos are my own):

Lumina Brennan: The "leader" of the group. Headstrong, a little bossy, secretly insecure and worried about her appearance, but she hides that under a veneer of self-confidence as you can see from her straightforward no-nonsense flaunting of her body. Each of the characters has an elemental power and Lumina's is Light, so I tried to incorporate a rainbow element into her design to evoke the light spectrum without relying on cliches like blonde hair or literal glowing.

Plum Blossom Yang: The genius of the group. Her elemental power is Brain. She is a ninja who is very shy and submissive, but uses her meek appearance to get close enough to her victims to strike them with her neuro-hacking, with which she can take control of their bodies. However, she prefers to control her own body - she's an athlete as well as an intellectual and considers her perfect figure to be a symbol of her power and ability, so she displays it proudly whenever possible.

Mengelina Finn: The sassy girl. Her elemental power is Water. I made her a redhead as a bit of irony. She actually gets really upset when people point out how funny it is that a redhead is in control of water! Although Lumina tends to take control, Mengelina is the true leader who influences the others through snark and sarcastic remarks. Sometimes she can go a bit too far and cause offence, but she has a good heart and tends to be right about most things. She grew up on a secluded island living a subsistence hunter-gatherer lifestyle, so she never learnt to be ashamed of her body and she usually goes naked because it helps her swim faster.

Choo Choo: The alien. Choo Choo's elemental power is Fire. She's actually originally a tool of the invading aliens (the villains of the comic) and is a modified deathbot who was hacked by Plum Blossom and developed sentience and a personality. She's quiet but extremely powerful. She doesn't really understand humans yet, but the other girls are trying to teach her to fit in with human society and constantly reassure her that she's beautiful and desirable to boost her self-confidence, which leads to her slowly becoming more empowered and willing to display her body over the course of the comic.

Let me know what you think! I'm hoping to get the first few comics out as soon as I'm totally happy with the art style.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That guy should have precensorshipped himself, but I'm glad you didn't, Avshalom.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I've upgraded to Windows 10, and MS5 is just straight up refusing to install. The installer hangs whether it's 5.0.0 from the disc or 5.0.5 from the web.

I'll try it again tomorrow with different compatibility options, but that's something to watch out for. No idea if it runs when it's already installed.
Maybe you should make some Poser models and trace them. I hear it works wonders.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Scribblehatch posted:

If I may make a suggestion on the modeling-program subject, sass aside: Check out Design Doll. It's got a much better UI than Poser in my opinion, and it's free to download. The only feature it keeps to premiums, is the ability to LOAD files.

Of course, no program like this should be used as a tracing crutch. There are simply some angles and some Jojo poses that do not exist in photography, and it never hurts to get a good look.
I think the tracing crotch is a bigger problem for this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

How worth it is color? I don't see any black and white comics, so I'm assuming it's basically a necessity.