Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Alright, I've been doodling a comic in my spare time and trying to get feedback from my animator friends along the way. Unfortunately, my friends are very nice and I'm starting to get paranoid. I've finally decided to balls up and come in here for some honest feedback.
I guess my first question is how best to present what I've got to a private audience? I'm trained in illustration and animation so I don't have any trouble dropping that poo poo publicly outright, but I am not trained in comics. This is my first attempt and I don't wanna embarrass myself any more than I have to. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Nude posted:

Being embarrassed is just part of learning :justpost:.

I got 24 pages of this poo poo and it seems like a lot to just image dump.

Hogge Wild posted:

Post it in the webcomics thread for some honest feedback.

I know better than to trust you, Hoggers. You and your jazz hands.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The Imgur thing should work fine. I was curious about the most digestible format, so here's what I got so far.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Excellent, thank you! I'm really glad there's a consensus on problems and I'll be happy to fix them.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Bouncing back in for a direction check. My main takeaways from your critiques were gutter size, balloon placement, ease of direction and tangents. So here's the first 8 pages again to see if I'm actually improving it.

I'll mind the panel placement faux pas (two short preceding one long) after this, won't repeat it. I'm trying to cut back on corner-anchored dialogue balloons and attempting to avoid dialogue placed towards the bottom of a long panel. I've got one instance of that last bit thus far and if my shot at guiding the dialogue downward doesn't work, I might just redraw the panel. And I'll mind my tendency for OTS shots from now on. It's a bad habit I didn't even realize I had! :v:
I know I remain a complete novice with balloon poo poo, but I do very much appreciate the pointers you lot have given me.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I finally got around to finishing out my chapter.
Still feeling very novice about everything, but I admit it's great to actually worked with it and all your feedback really has helped! For the moment, I'm just thinking of making a sub blog on my Tumblr for it since I'm familiar with the interface and it'd be nice to attach it to something I've already a few followers on. I'm eager to keep going! Callow as I am, I am really, really enjoying this poo poo.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It looks like neither is accepting submissions right now (Iron Circus looks like it wants 150 pages or so for consideration?), but I'll keep watch on them!

I used that Tumblr theme listed on the front page, so here's where I'm stationed for now: https://skeletonfarm.tumblr.com/
I've been wanting to do this for goddamn years, I'm almost giddy.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Alright, looking for advice. I'm attempting photobashing for essentially the first time and I'm not 100% on how this works in terms of what's considered good/bad, or even legal. I'm not even sure I want to go with photobashing since I'm perfectly capable of drawing my own BGs just, you know... time.

A couple of proddings along with their source images:

I'm trying to progress towards a less detail-intense style, but I'm loving detail-intense by trade. :sigh:
Also if I'm majorly loving something up, please tell me! I don't know the rules on this poo poo.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Boba Pearl posted:

When you say rules, are you talking legality, or getting like, a bunch of heat on the internet?

e: If you're photobashing, you might want to consider using img2img with AI, which takes all legality out of the question for now, but stylus artists will have a conniption if you end up on twitter.

Legally. I'm putting together my pitch package and have someone to submit to as soon as I get my sample pages together.

I'm having a look at img2img now and waiting to see what my sample image looks like, but in all honesty I'm not... super keen on the idea of using AI. Partially because the dubious sourcing, partially because I expect to be replaced by it as a BG artist, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So I've been out of work near a whole drat year and I started working on a horror comic idea I'd been kicking around. I showed it to a friend in the profession and he admitted it could be a hard sell since it's "clearly not made to cater to a demographic." Mind this was said in a positive way regarding story, just not in marketability. He's a good dude.

It's probably not going to be published, so I figure I might as well post the Dropbox to the first chapter here. It's the only one I have done atm. Currently working on chapter 2.

Roth

Trigger warning for depiction of suicide and use of a slur.