Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.
I've been using it as kind of a mirror site, but I just post finished chapters in big chunks. It seems like it's picked up a lot in popularity so it's probably good for getting more readers.

EDIT: oh, and it has a mobile app, so that's handy for people who would rather read comics on their tablets and such!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.
yikes, is this ever not working for you.

it's not that you're taking a completely wrong approach here. 3D models are very handy and I've seen them put to use by lots of artists, for anything from backgrounds to reference material to keep characters "on model"... all with varying degrees of success.

But this paintover thing is bad. it's just bad. It looks like what it is: a poser model with a braid and lingerie scribbled on it. nobody is going to be fooled, and nobody is going to be impressed. There may be a practical reason for it, but does that really matter when the only thing you get at the end is a picture everyone hates?

I can understand being frustrated with the time it takes to make a piece of art, whether that is a pinup or a comic page, but here's the thing... art tends to turn out better when you spend time on it. shocking, I know.

Your approach is too focused on convenience and it is not working. I'd advise you to take a step back and think about what you really want to do with this whole art thing. If you want to pump out "consistent" generic pinups of half-naked disney characters white women, go ahead. But if you want to make something people will connect with, enjoy and be inspired by, you're going to have to try a little harder than that.

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.
This is the funniest thing that could have happened to this thread, way to go guys, A+

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

thousandcranes posted:

I've been listening to the Dirty Old Ladies podcast this week. It's Spike Trotman, Kel McDonaldand, and Amanda whose last name I'm not going to try to spell but she does Love Me Nice. If you are reading this thread it is probably relevant to your interests/super informative.

Anyone else listening to any cool podcasts in this vein?

Sidebar has a lot of really interesting interviews with comic industry professionals, as well as some illustrators and fine artists.

For more process-oriented stuff I like the Paperwings Podcast, it's run by a former Disney artist and a webcomic artist and they talk a lot about personal projects and building up your portfolio if you're working on starting an artistic career.

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.
They've actually been very good to me and I keep going back to them. I've only ordered print runs of 20 or so copies at a time, so they are very handy for that. I'm getting to the point where I need to do more so I'm looking for someplace cheaper, but I'd recommend them for people just starting out with a small book that they want to do something with.

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.
I've only tabled at one of the big Wizard World Comic Cons and at a couple smaller shows, both of the small ones were billed as indie comic/zine expos but attracted pretty different audiences.

At the big Con I made most of my money off people commissioning me at my table, but at the two smaller shows I sold way more of my own books. One of those shows was free, so my best seller was a mini comic I was selling for $1 while my pricier stuff was passed over. I assume at anime cons you'd want to bring lots of prints and buttons and such. I'm still a newbie to the whole thing myself but I'd say it's important to keep your audience in mind when deciding what to sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.
I like it a lot! The dialogue is great and I love how you're going ham with the backgrounds.

With the scanning problem, your scanner or scanning program might be set to automatically contrast/balance your images? Some of them are automatically set up for scanning photos, not drawings. I'd check for that and then use an image editor to manually tweak the values.