Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Mercury Hat posted:

June is officially unofficially NaNoMango part 2! Nanomango is the comic counterpart to Nanowrimo, but less stringent in the "rules".
  • You can work on your current project(s), it doesn't have to be something totally new.
  • You can set your own goal for page count! Suggestions usually are: 30 pencilled/thumbnailed pages OR 15 inked pages OR 10 colored and inked pages.
  • If you post it on tumblr, tag it #nanomango and the tumblr might pick it up.
This is always a good opportunity to give your project a shot in the arm, so I'll be doing my best to follow through. It's good timing for me, I'm about to start a new chapter.

I chickened out super hard in November, because I was scrub tier in every respect and realized it when attempting to prepare for it.

But not this time! Since January I've been drawing most days and vowed months ago that I would actually do it this time. I have set myself the goal of pencilling 30 pages, so I have something unfinished but complete and readable, and I can then bone up on the things I still have a really poor grasp on (like shading and colouring). Tomorrow I am polishing off thumbnails, doing a bunch of character sketches to get myself limbered up and on Monday I shall sit my rear end down and draw a god drat comic.

I haven't drawn a comic since I was 7 and I procrastinate heavily, but I work best under pressure and am going to see this through come hell or high water, so let's do this poo poo! :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Huh, I didn't know that it wasn't a hard and fast limit on 30 pages. I'm going to see how many pages I actually thumbnail, then revise my goal afterwards. It might end up being 24, which to be honest seemed like a more natural length when planning things in my head.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 31, 2015

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Six loosely sketched pages down; I'm learning a lot on the fly, like how much to shove on a page (some of them ended up being obscenely underpopulated, so they ended up getting rejigged) or how an establishing shot should look:

Anyhoo, I'll post some thumbnails as I go along and once I'm done, assuming no-one points out any glaringly terrible things I should fix, I can start the pages proper.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Five days in, 18 out of 24 pages scripted and thumbnailed, so I'm off to run around a forest for the next three days and get absolutely nothing comic-related done whatsoever. Good times!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm up to 20 / 24 pages scripted and thumbed; I slacked off yesterday after being away for the weekend, so I forced myself to sit down tonight to get some momentum going again.

Out of interest, how long do most people take to get things done? I'm looking at about 12 -14 hours for this stage of the process, so roughly half an hour to loosely plan out each page, maybe a little more. Not that I'm trying to compare myself to anyone else, I'm just curious how long the various stages of making a page tend to take you guys.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That sounds like fun, so I'll see if anyone else is around later.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The first three pages read like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=607j7e-Z94U

Also you shouldn't have to bluntly state the purpose of the comic up front; it should tell you that in the course of the comic itself!

The last two pages are starting to go somewhere, but "man doesn't want to talk after sex" is a minor soap opera talking point at best and needs to be a catalyst or sign of a wider story, not the story itself - does it lead into a wider story, and is that story interesting and memorable? Is there a wider story? Be honest with yourself!

Like GeekBoy said, there are only five pages, so maybe take this as an opportunity to go back and make a fresh start on it, or even scrap it if there isn't anything better to be made of it. You'll have learned something either way, and that's what counts.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Make a fursona, obviously.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Make a fursona, obviously.

:colbert:

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 13, 2015

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The problem with all those things is that they aren't actually relaxing from your brain's point of view, because they all require it to actively process things, even if you don't feel like you are. That's the reason why I rarely take my headphones with me when I'm out and about anymore - I feel so much more clear-headed as a result.

You need to take 20-30 mins of actual relaxation, and that means sitting or lying down or taking a walk without any media and just letting your brain drift. Even if you have a million thoughts running through your head, letting your brain pick through that stuff is an important part of winding down, and that gears you up for being able to concentrate again.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've upgraded to Windows 10, and MS5 is just straight up refusing to install. The installer hangs whether it's 5.0.0 from the disc or 5.0.5 from the web.

I'll try it again tomorrow with different compatibility options, but that's something to watch out for. No idea if it runs when it's already installed.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is there an easy way of previewing the Frenden brushes for MS5? I've got them, but the only way I know of to actually see what they look like is to individually import them into MS5 and test them on the canvas, unless I've missed something somewhere.

edit: MS5 works just fine in Windows 10 now, it just needed the new update.

Double edit: Duh, there's a screenshot for each pack right there on the store. I am an absolute cretin.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 4, 2015

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I did have problems with the installer crashing, but it all works now? :shrug: Just install the latest 5.0.6 update to be sure.

It still says it's preparing for first time use whenever I fire it up, but that's a minor inconvenience at best.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Taping a piece of drawing paper over the active area worked wonders for me, just be ready to get through a few more nibs than you normally would.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Maybe he draws everything in ASCII.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Can you do the upgrade deal for MS5 to CSP EX, or is that just wishful thinking?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This is the response I got when I had an issue with Windows 10:

quote:

Thank you for contacting Support. It sounds like your installation is corrupted. You will want to do a clean reinstall.

Updated Installers are available from the Manga Studio Updates Page
http://manga.smithmicro.com/updates.html

Download the Installer and the Materials. Extract the Materials to your Desktop

Use Control Panel to uninstall the Application

You need to remove the following folders manually

C:\ProgramData\CELSYS
ProgramData may be hidden. Go your Control Panel, (Change from Categories to an Icon view on the right) select Folder Options and under the View Tab, select Show Hidden Files and Folders to allow you to view the ProgramData

C:\ProgramData\CELSYS_EN
C:\ProgramData\Smith Micro\Manga Studio
C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\CELSYS
AppData may be hidden. Go your Control Panel, (Change from Categories to an Icon view on the right) select Folder Options and under the View Tab, select Show Hidden Files and Folders to allow you to view the AppData folder.

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\CELSYS_EN

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Smith Micro\Manga Studio

Reboot using MSCONFIG to boot into Diagnostic Mode. Run the installer. Launch the application. Once running, go to the File Menu and select Material Installation, selecting the Folder on your Desktop. When the Program launches again, it will need to initialize those materials.

Reboot into Normal Mode. You are ready to use the software.

I'd also scrub the system clean with CCleaner afterwards, as the first time I did this it didn't fix my issues. Also make sure you reinstall using 5.0.6, if you happen to be on an earlier version.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've treated myself to CSP Pro; £10 seems pretty reasonable for more updates and not needing a disc, considering MS5 was a present I never paid for in the first place.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Geekboy posted:

Anyone know enough about Wordpress to know of a way to keep someone from being able to lock me out of my website by attempting to log in to it too many times? I'm guessing I've made someone mad and I'm currently locked out for five hours. Which means today's update is delayed ...

They must know your email address or username in order for Wordpress to know which account to lock out, so change it to something you don't use anywhere else.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I am exactly the kind of person who simply won't start anything unless they have all the facts, understand all the instructions and feel safe in the knowledge that they won't find themselves unsure of what to do halfway through, and the best thing that has happened to me recently is realising that I have to switch my brain off, relax, let natural instinct take over and just let what happens on the page happen without fretting about every god drat line.

I have a long way to go before it becomes second nature to me (god I really hope it does), but when I can disengage my brain and just doodle away, I have noticed my sketches becoming less stiff and deliberate and taking WAY less time.

I should probably draw a loving comic at some point though.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Scribblehatch posted:

Creating an ad is surprisingly fun.

It really needs the values looking at to make it pop. It's so pale and neutral it almost blends into the background.

The actual ad is great though, I'd click through on that if it wasn't already on my read list.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

edit: I looked it up and you're right, they did pay Game Grumps for those ads, so I'm an idiot. IGNORE ME.

Is there a webcomic equivalent? I imagine it would look something like the old Hostess ads, which would be pretty funny now that I think about it.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 17, 2016

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What actually is the modern Flash equivalent for content creation? Given that every major browser is dropping it shortly, if they haven't already.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

for_exposure.txt is a thing for a reason. Obviously use your judgement if you're doing something small for a friend of a friend or whatever, but otherwise, if they refuse to sign a contract or try to avoid anything written or official then drop them. If you're looking to be paid for your work then you're acting in a professional capacity and deserve to treated as such.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 19, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Well I'm not going to read it now that you've spoiled the ending.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Zany reactions work best as secondary background details that draw the eye after the main panel focus to complement it, rather than being the focus of the panel itself. It works that way even in something like One Piece, where those kinds of reactions are abundant. One of the things I dislike the most about anime is that they insist on keeping those exaggerated expressions, but they get pushed to the fore due to the medium they're in and it just feels so, so tacky.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Give all the men and every animal a ponytail, then don't comment on it at all.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

:same:

I love the hard contrasts of black and white, and the look and feel of manga in particular. I should really learn to get more comfortable with colour, but I can see myself only ever really using colour to accent things, ultimately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Buddy, that could literally be the thread title.