Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

thousandcranes posted:

I watched Stripped last night, and A Softer World was one of the featured comics. The last act was about the digital revolution and the bright future of web comics.

The last act seemed detached from reality, because the only people making a "living" doing webcomics are:
1) Living in a country with universal healthcare/ actual social safety nets
2) In literal poverty
3) Producing lowest common denominator product for over a decade
4) Yeah Aaron Diaz and the Penny Arcade guys too

If you count people who are recruited out of webcomics for other fields, the picture gets a little better. But they're not making a living at webcomics.

Edit: I don't mean to be so bleak. But literally the only reason to draw comics is because you love to. It's enough of a reason, but let's not pretend there's a pot of gold at the end of this rainbow.

Stripped was before patreon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

GreatJob posted:

How 2 Worldbuild:

-Use Earth map, put magic in
-Pick your favorite animal to make big for use as mounts instead of horses
-Generate MacGuffins so characters have excuse to trek all over magic!Earth
This is absolutely the best way to go about it. I had no idea it could be described so succinctly.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Deciding on the extent of color, texture, and contour attitudes for my comic's new style transition has been one of the most agaonizing crossroads I've ever experienced.

I was taking a break from these pages to work on my everything-else. I'd say it's mostly been fruitful. Definitely learned things I couldn't have, feeling under the gun as I was.

Scribblehatch fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 27, 2015

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

I'm reserving judgement until I see all the legalese.

If they've changed their stripes, and care to erect a meritocracy, then all is well.

I do wonder why anyone would want to run this under the banner of Tokyopop, though.

Scribblehatch fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 3, 2015

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Could be an attempt at brandname exorcism.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Good lord, it's like reading magic eye.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Mangastudio, Clipstudio, Illuststudio and Sai all have a very similar pool of UI.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Early Bleach (please note: EARLY) is like a godsend of paneling lessons.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Any of you guys ever dealt with precensorship before?

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Squidster posted:

Can you clarify?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpKkHCVbSyw
At 5:09.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

FlyinPingu posted:

edit: it's because you keep bringing it up and making it a weird thing that's why
Who keeps bringing up nudity?

I said 10 words. And the responses like Rethy's were what I was interested in.

Scribblehatch fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 24, 2015

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Censorship and precensorship could indeed be too specific. I didn't mean to make it literally about Lassie's puppies. The analogy is to be adjusted for inflation. I was thinking about the aspect of 'kneejerk' itself.

The whole Green Eggs and Ham thing. Or even worse.. 'Simpsons did it'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDuMp2kDxos

Just that weird malaise that does a lot of damage in pre-production. Back to the Future, at one point, was in this limbo where Disney found the concept too risque to produce, and other studios found it not risque enough to produce! On the internet, no one is stopping you, but the idea of being that limbo-platypus webcomic is still frightening. These are the stories I care to hear about because I have a lot of friends who are still in that boat.

Scribblehatch fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 24, 2015

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

I couldn't agree more.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

I get to agree with one post in its entirety, and suddenly that was my endgame all along.

Alrighty.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Ever the dogpile.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

In other words nobody really cares but you, so you have to decide what it is you want to do.
Well that's good. I was never after the attention. Here's the big conspiracy: I have "Something Awful CP" in my google chrome bookmarks. It's part of my daily routine that I check a bunch of these bookmarks for activity. It saddened me that day after day, this particular thread had not been bumped. I just wanted to jostle some activity in a mostly inactive thread, with a broad topic du jour that people could perhaps add to. To my surprise, I got: "What do you mean? WHAT DO YOU MEAN?! Get to your point Scribblehatch! Tell us the ulterior motive! How does this all relate to you? Where's the bomb?!"

One of YOU brought up nudity in this thread. Not me. And I was not playing at it, or responding to it, because I don't care about the subject anymore. The last time, if anyone recalls, it was about services like Paypal. Which have very subjective moderation over "adult" content. And then I discovered Stripe. Stripe, which unlike Paypal, allows NSFW transactions. That was the concern. The concern is now vapor. You're chasing vapor.

With the specific topic I chose, it's like this: The forum is a helpful archive that is easy to link to people, even if they aren't members. I wanted an impersonal discussion that I could show to a few of my friends over skype who are, to put it lightly, Nervous Nellys. It gets no more complicated than that. But you kept at this self-assigned snipe hunt, and I really dunno what to tell you. "Well the only way NOT to make it worse, would be not to respond at all" I thought. I was mistaken.

Scribblehatch fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 26, 2015

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

In my experience, too much context makes the content of the conversation less universal, less timeless. I like allegories that can be relevant no matter where you go or when you are. The last thing I wanted to do, was make it about ME and my experiences. My friends over skype know quite enough about me.

But this as it turns out only really works best in anonymous discussions. Here I have a name, and a demonstrable trail of bread crumbs why I might be bringing it up.

Ah well.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

I feel like this is the place to post this. It's of the "You don't necessarily want realism, but believability" vein.

These as well, but I feel they get pretty good circulation as is.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

I feel there's an anti-troping trap that a few people fall into after lurking for awhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtQNULEudss

I hope that's not too much of a left turn. What you said just kinda reminded me of that.

There are some weird little story-hipsters out there. And some of them double as critics.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Must there be another dogpile so soon?

We just got done with one.

Dear god, there's plenty of other things to talk about.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

It's mostly about the false gods part, you silly goose.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

FunkyAl posted:

also bad
You are the fuddiest duddy.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

You should watch Thank You For Smoking.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Fortis posted:

maybe you should try writing something other than false gods :rolleyes:
My good sir, I see you've quite cleverly alluded to something mentioned earlier in the thread!

Unless this is a big coincidence. In which case, holy crackers. I mean I suppose it's possible, however unlikely.

Do you have an opinion on it? That image I posted that has a note reading 'false gods' in magic marker at the top of a column of character traits? Because color me interested in a rousing back and forth.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Does no one read the southeast-most post-its in that image, or what?

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Plenty of critics go "There is nothing relatable about ____" as if that's a point all by itself. When, meanwhile, I find nothing relatable about Spike Spiegel. Being relatable is not the point. They're not to be confused with the building blocks. When building a pizza you do not sprinkle the oregano before anything else.

If anyone had taken the Wally Wood or Pixar lists to task, we'd be talking about those instead.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

I'm hearing a names being called. Not a whole lot of extrospection. "Because it's DUMB and you brought up POINTLESS poo poo!" Yes yes yes. Very good.

I think it's a fun image that does what it's meant to do: Spark discussion. And I'm confident the outlier of Sturgeon's Law will find its way here eventually. It takes the best of them to be devil's advocate.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

FunkyAl posted:

Man I GUESS, but you posted em up there like they were all the big cheatsheet to writing comics
I posted all 3 images with the Bruce Lee mantra in mind. Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own.

Use your own judgement. I'm not dictating values. You don't have to worry about arguing with me, because I'm not trying to "win."

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

raaaan posted:

Getting snippy
You've misread me.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

A little more like tennis.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Yar.

I must refer back to the first post of this page. The Bruce Lee quote. Honestly I'm taken aback by the attitude these forums have. A friend recommended I get an account here and I thought "Sure." But I keep running into heated inquisition, when I'm just bantering.

In PMs I told someone this sorta thing only happens on Something Awful. They assured me that wasn't true. Well, what can you really say to that?

thousandcranes posted:

tbh every time I see a back and forth with you, it feels like you are snippy. Maybe there's a point where people aren't misreading you, but you are conveying yourself poorly :shrug:
For forums, maybe so. This is the only one I've been on in ages. I'm not a huge fan of the format. When I call someone a 'silly goose' or 'fuddiest of duddies' over skype, they tend to get it; I'm just goofing a bit. And that I'm not out to cut them down for having an opinion.

Scribblehatch fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 28, 2015

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Szmitten I've been meaning to ask you if you had an email for awhile now. Surely there's other ways to talk to you!

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Reiley posted:

Scribblehatch please stop trying to browbeat everyone. You have a very prominent trend in posting here and literally everyone is aware of it, so when you post vague poo poo people know from the context of remembering history what angle it's coming from. The hoighty "well NOW I'm just mediating discussion" shaming poo poo is not doing anyone any favors.
... What?

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

I'm used to people's indifference, when they don't understand something. Apathy. No response. Generally, I think that works better. Something totally out of nowhere, will also go nowhere.

Edit: I feel queasy when I use emoticons. I don't like it.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Troposphere posted:

then what's the point of posting it??
Well, where did you get your mindreading powers?

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

'Hugbox' gets thrown around a little too loosely.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

I appreciate the defense of me, but it just keeps the grumpybutts talking about me.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

We're all aware of the rest of the world and their opinions.

We were quite aware before. Long before.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Pick posted:

You sound like the narrator to the Land Before Time sequels.
Ew. THE SEQUELS?

Awww..

C'mon.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Szmitten posted:

Sure, check Tumblr.
What am I checking for exactly..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Well I deduced which tumblr yours is, but I never got a message.

That's twice now tumblr's done that, that I know of.