Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

If I may make a suggestion on the modeling-program subject, sass aside: Check out Design Doll. It's got a much better UI than Poser in my opinion, and it's free to download. The only feature it keeps to premiums, is the ability to LOAD files.

Of course, no program like this should be used as a tracing crutch. There are simply some angles and some Jojo poses that do not exist in photography, and it never hurts to get a good look.

harrodeleted posted:

(Hey Scribblehatch!)
Hey buddy!

Scribblehatch fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Man. Webtoon seems to be the given name for scrolling-type comics.

And you wouldn't know it from just hearing the name. You'd think it was animated!

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

(http://gobi-baptiste-gaubert.tumblr.com/post/76954228776/just-as-a-reminder-im-the-author-of-this-comic)

Throwing a stroke around foreground elements can be a big help.

That aura helps them pop.

Scribblehatch fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Aug 18, 2015

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Is that how the program lays them out?

Because I keep my pages aligned kinda like that in Sai, but it's all very manual. (And I kinda like it)

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Actually.

What I found worked wonders was ordering a screen protector from photodon.com, getting cotton gloves from a CVS, cutting the thumb, index, and middle fingers off them for the right hand, and then ordering felt stylus nibs (each individual nib lasts about a week before getting too grungy.)

This is how I solved my "feels like drawing on glass" and "my hand drags across it, when it didn't on paper" problems. For a cintiq, anyway.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

How worth it is color? I don't see any black and white comics, so I'm assuming it's basically a necessity.
Color is a timesink I've actually mostly opted out of.

I'm not surprised people get the impression it's vital though.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Think of yourself as both Wilbur and Orville Wright, wondering why there's no flying contraptions whizzing about the mostly vacant roads of the sky.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Oh I never posted this beat here.

http://chaosinthetropics.com/archive/ch1beat15 (warning: some nudity)

I don't plan to make another beat this long in the foreseeable future. Did have fun with 'the effect' in it though. These kindsa things are why I'd recommend most people get their own code from scratch if possible. You can have anything happen, potentially.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

I'm gonna say that as long as people have the option to avoid it, or not, it's probably fine that he draws whatever.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Is there an ETA on Sai 2?

I swear I've tried to look more into it.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Creating an ad is surprisingly fun.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Cheers! I think that did it.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

If my format of comic can be read on mobile, I'm confident just about all of you will be fine doing whatever.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Any y'all have any feeling one way or the other about multi-page scrolling comics?

I'm asking for a friend donchyanno.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

I've used Project Wonderful twice now.

I'm beginning to rule it out.

Thousands of unique views can result in 8 clicks total.

With google ads as I know it, you pay a dime for each click. And that may actually be more economical.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Youtube adblock, I fully understand. I use it myself. That poo poo saves you time in your life. But innocuous little banners? I don't get it. D: Even my editor has it. I would not have found my EDITOR, someone who loves the comic, by casting out a net. How bleak!

Shout outs and word of mouth seems like an extreme matter of luck. Because nevermind how randos find you; How did those busy creators find you? People who made it this far by using Project Wonderful, have no idea what to tell this newer fold. This problem, sure only to get worse, is no person's fault. But you also can't force camaraderie. So what's to be done?

I think... there need to be more reviewers? I dunno, that'd be a good start. Maybe.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Ah I wasn't aware they were all caught in the same net. Pop up ads, ads with audio/video never should have started happening. I agree.

When I say innucuous, I mean an image that doesn't move (unless it's a gif, and then it moves a leetle beet)

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Early on I had drawn lines in the sand about risque material.

Now I'm getting depressed enough to reconsider them.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

What, as advertising material?
Noooooo...

No no.

Although in a way, yes.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Come read webcomics m'lord.
Read webcomics secretly!

Save the queen---princess. Queen makes her sound old.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Star Wars is the good kind of stealing from Kurosawa.

The bad kind would probably be Fistful of Dollars. Where you lift SHOT FOR SHOT, and assume no one will ever find out.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

NO DICE.

Battlefield Earth beat you to it.

ALL the dutch angles.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Ah but one had permission and the other didn't. Kurosawa sent a letter to Sergio Leone: "It's a fine film, but it's my film."

Haw.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

People interested in your lore strikes me more as a reward instead of a destination.

Like, I love the Cowboy Bebop world. Every time I rewatch it, I try to piece together something different.

But all this is only because I care so much about all the connections I made with the "plot" and the characters.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

I just finished my update marathon of CITT's Beat 16.

http://chaosinthetropics.com/archive/ch1beat16

16 pages across 16 days. Time will tell if this is viable for batch-form webcomics. Hope with me. Back to the grindstone.

Scribblehatch fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 25, 2016

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Depressing Box posted:

That's a good one! Another is YKK, which has lots of nice tall grass:

AAAAA I've been peddling this one to people for ages.

Everyone seems to punch out as soon as they see the way the faces are drawn, and I don't understand how that's a dealbreaker!!

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

One thing I wish manga would start doing, is crediting their assistants. Or at least disclose how many assistants worked on it!

But I sorta understand why they don't, if it's anything like the reason there's so many joke credits in japanese video games.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

I just got those the other day I can vouch for them.

http://frenden.myshopify.com/

That last $15 dollar option includes all of them, which I believe is over 200 brushes? It's worth the money.

Scribblehatch fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Feb 2, 2016

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

One day I might be able to go to a con.

Maybe.

They seem to require you to have some money to lose.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

When you speak of commissions at a con, how does that work exactly?

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Aaah, so we are talking partly about what I'm most miserable at: Drawing right infront of other people, start to finish.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

I enjoy reading about all these deepseeded fears. They're like vaccines.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

In Japan you can still buy comics in grocery stores and such.

If the same were still true of America (aside from like, Archie) this conversation would be way different.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

I'm a bit confused which half of my post you're referring to there.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Almost done with this creature. This is an idea for a series of short fanfic comics. I know I won't be pursuing this level of detail in the future bits. Assuming I continue.

All this was me breaking in Clip Studio for a comic, without it actually being MY comic.

Praise be to Clip Studio. It's worth your dosh.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

The horse is dead and it was beaten with that bloodstained thesaurus in your hand.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Have any of you guys seen that one documentary about Apocalypse Now?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearts_of_Darkness:_A_Filmmaker%27s_Apocalypse

I was just thinking about it and how it explores the utter despair of creating work in isolation. And the relief of getting it done. It's really good.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Hey guys. What companies ARE accepting comic submissions these days? Barring submissions that open annually.

Crowdfunding looks like its becoming less and less viable as a whole.

Scribblehatch fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 9, 2016

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Yeah those were the only 2 I could think of as well. That's weird how few there are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

You might really like the zebra pens you can get from jetpens.com.

If I were more of a physical ink kinda guy, I'd be using them a LOT.

Edit: But in general, yes. Just try -everything- until you get slightly good at all of them, and see what you like best.

Scribblehatch fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 5, 2016