Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

That thing I just read sounds like the most unlikely thing to ever happen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Do wish they'd have brought up the lack of ways to advertise yourself.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Ditto.

Huge problem with the medium. Huge. Needs major upheaval.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Webcomics needs a Newgrounds.

Back on Newgrounds, something could indeed blow up in one day, based on its merit.

There could be something like that. It would take careful planning, and most of what makes it work would be how the very first page operates. As it was with Newgrounds. And Newgrounds futzing with it too much was a huge detriment.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Look, stop that. Things aren't just 'done'. The best version of what we've seen hasn't been made yet. Neither of us can pretend what it looks like.

Facebook crushed Myspace. Because people could just see it was better. Patreon just came about one day and stuck, despite being a very basic idea that had sorta been done before.

There is a reason that Korea is crushing it out there with their webtoons. Something can happen, but not with your attitude.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

The roads are still passable for now, but the foundation is breaking apart.

And it should be addressed -- loudly -- so we can figure something out. Korea has made an industry out of what seemed to be incumbent on pure luck. It's worth looking more into.

http://www.lezhin.com/en/comic/dogma_en

I really like this system here.

Scribblehatch fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 10, 2016

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

So according to you, Korea was blessed with divine providence.

Scribblehatch fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 10, 2016

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

You think the guy who makes the comic I just linked does any marketing on the side?

Look at it! That is a level of art and output you can only attain if you focus all your time on it. And a larger swath of people are into that for those exact reasons. Marketing it is a CINCH, because it's awesome. But if the marketers didn't exist, well. gently caress.

If you want everyone to be a jack of all trades, you're going to end up with a bunch of masters of none. And if that's not what you want, that's not how it's been coming off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

None of that is what I call marketing. It does practically nothing for you to be on twitter if people weren't aware of your twitter. The same more or less is true for tumblr. The only reason I became aware of that artist is because of Lezhin. Nothing the artist could've done would've reached me better than that. And Lezhin accepts entries based on the work itself. I've seen the submission guidelines. They want more or they don't. Once you're greenlit, it's up to you to keep the audience interested, and therefore buying more installments. It's meritocratic from top to bottom.

And yes, this example is not someone who came out of nowhere. The site had to be built on something or it couldn't have taken off. Just like the Newgrounds thing, there's a little too much face value in this conversation.

And, lol. I have just 10 less twitter followers than her. I don't think she sees it as much of a tool. I certainly don't.

Scribblehatch fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 10, 2016