Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplyhorribul
Jul 30, 2013
First timer here!

I've been doing some silly comics in past, but they have been around one page gags and all. I haven't done anything for few years, but I want to try bit longer formats (at first, like 12 to 20 pages stories) before going full on graphic novel-long ones.

However, I loving hate designing the pages. I tend to do the storyboarding on post-it-notes and trying to figure out there how to put on pages, but so far I've been just going through those post-it-notes without getting one single page design done. I know few tricks - like give a reader an argument to read the next page (of course every page doesn't have to end with annoying cliffhanger) and the storytelling layout should guide the reader from the page, but it's pretty slim pickings, when I get the craving to tweak it more and more and more, because they always look so fugly.

Is there some more practical tips, guides and/help to actually design the panel lay outs on e page so that they work with the pictures? Or is it just something you have to do and hope for the best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplyhorribul
Jul 30, 2013
Yeah, but, are there any tips how paneling - the sizing/form of them works? I mean don't get me wrong, I have sketched ton of pages but problem is that I'm rarely happy with them. At all. I've tried rigid page designs (2 by 3 thou, ended up using similar page layouts), going mental with the panel sizes (it almost always ends up with either awkward panel spaces or or completely useless panels), post-it notes (decision fatigue), computer and good ol' pen and paper, A3's with different sized margins, so on. And I have no intrest to finish crappy designs simply because, well, they are poo poo and world need no more lovely pages.

I know you should feel how they go, but I'm only feeling when it's poo poo and don't have clue how to fix it up in given space.

simplyhorribul
Jul 30, 2013
Just wanted say thanks for thousandcranes, Fangz, Reiley and Squidster for the tips on paneling! I know I was being picky of what sort of help I wanted but paneling have always been a major problem on my planning follow-through. I finally got it going without feeling overwhelmed and stuck, so yay, thanks again! :unsmith: