Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I posted my comic in Batman's Shameful Secret but had no idea this thread existed!

Please check out my comic Samsara which I spent the last 5-6 years scripting but finally started getting published (after joining forces with two artists) by Markosia Enterprises this year!
It's a planned 12 chapter comic with a tone that I like to best describe as "Avatar the Last Airbender meets Kingdom of Heaven". I tried to merge the flash super powered, elemental fight scenes together with the Indian/East Asian spirituality and philosophies of the former with the politics and themes of religious conflict and persecution of the latter.

Set in Arya, a fantasy setting inspired by India in the mid-1600s the story follows Lakshman, the host for the World Serpent, setting out to reconnect with his lost faith in the midst of a holy crusade between four religious factions fighting for dominance.

BSS Thread is here which has more on the characters and cover art:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4015200&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post527090470
I will probably continue to post updates in that thread but if people are interested I can keep updating here too.

Here are some sample pages:

Series is available on Amazon Kindle with 2 (of 12) chapters out so far and chapter 3 hopefully coming out in December:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B3MS1LDV?binding=kindle_edition&ref=dbs_dp_rwt_sb_pc_tukn

If you don't like Amazon then DriveThruComics is your friend and I believe DRM free:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B3MS1LDV?binding=kindle_edition&ref=dbs_dp_rwt_sb_pc_tukn
https://www.drivethrucomics.com/product/414644/Samsara-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Lunatic Sledge posted:

that's rad as hell

are the formats/guidelines for printing a book on DriveThruComics about the same as printing one through DriveThruRPG? I have experience with the latter but I didn't know the former existed until like, right now, and the gears are turning but I can't find a separate publishing guidelines thing for comics

Thanks so much!

To be honest I'm not super familiar with the distribution of the comic through DriveThruComics and Amazon as the publisher Markosia has been handling all of those aspects and I basically just do the script, directing the artists as well as the lettering/any other final touch up effects.

A quick search though finds this link here:
https://www.drivethrucomics.com/join.php

Which seems to let you get setup as your own personal publisher and distributor and there's a few info tabs on what to expect with distribution.

Incidentally if you like the comic so far, chapter 3 is coming out soon on digital, I believe the preorder date is 23rd November and if I see a link I'll post it but the proper release date will be 14th December!
I absolutely love the art of this one here's a teaser:

And this is what the upcoming cover looks like:

When the first 4 chapters are completed it'll come out as a physical book as the first (of 3) volumes.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

What are people’s experiences with sharing their comics on social media?

I made an Instagram earlier this week for sharing snippets and posting updates on Samsara and so far it’s just been friends and family following it. How do people find ways to get their stuff shared more publicly and get the word out? I heard that the algorithm favours videos over pictures in Insta so I’ve tried animating the art with simple effects, anyone else have better experience with this stuff?

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Thank you for all the advice on social media everyone!

It's been a tricky venture trying to make it with a published comic, spending a lot of savings on art for a project that may not break even let alone make money but I wanted to give it the best shot it can and at the end of the day I'll be proud of the final outcome and following through on the story.

Boba Pearl posted:

You get viewers by Networking, finding reddits, forums, and discords where it'd be appropriate to share your stuff, and just talk about it constantly. Not just "Oh my comic is good," but your actual interactions with the work, and what parts resonate with you. My Steppe Into The Ring story took off when it started getting shared in "Empty Spaces" twitter, which I was largely unaware of, but happened to hit the right niche. It only took off there, because someone who I was talking too at random loved it and shared it. It started to hit this little community, and that gave it enough of a boost in the algorithm to have it take off in other places. Also find ways to share it that gives you analytics. The radio silence can be deafening, and feel like you're not making a difference, but I just killed off Steppe Into The Ring, and it was a huge mistake, there were dozens of letters, almost immediately today, and probably more to come, that were really sad to see it end. People weren't sayng anything, but there were people reading. Getting a way to measure eyes on the screen is important.

With social media like twitter and instagram, your stuff has to be hyper optimized for phones. Your instagram isn't, you're doing horizontal videos on a vertical format.

Here is a person I follow to give you an idea of what this content could look like.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7169663923535252778
https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/the-right-hand-of-death/list?title_no=688670

Hitting the Algorithm lottery involves consistency, and getting lucky. Basically, you're pulling a slot machine lever, and every piece of art you put in is a quarter. Except you're kind of trying to fit dimes in the slot and hoping it works. I'm like on tiktok and instagram for multiple hours a day as a big ole zoomer, so I'm hitting this with that mindset, but your videos don't look great on the app. It's gets downsized and very jaggy, and there's some serious issues with letter boxing. Here's what they look like on my phone:

You're doing videos, which are reels, which show up on their tiktok equivalent, those need to be 1080px by 1920px Portrait or else they get deprioritized by the algorithm. So make sure your videos fill out the phone screen. Also it's just music, what would be better is talking about an aspect of your story while drawing something or creating specific videos FOR your comic, especially if it's just something being drawn. It's also going to take longer then a week, definitely months, and possibly years to get seen. If you worked with other people, you need them all to follow, you need them all to re-blog, and even comment that little boost in the beginning can be the difference between two or three people seeing it, and if they share it with 100 of their people, that could be the difference between 300 and 600.

This is especially helpful thanks so much! I didn't know these things about the algorithms and I'll at least give it a try and see how things play out in the coming weeks to months.

If nothing else it gives me a way to engage with my readers more and I'll at least enjoy talking to people about the story and see what people liked or want to talk about.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Chapter 3 is finally here! It has a lot of my favourite art so far and some very cool demonic designs that John and Mariam knocked out of the park.

You can find it on Amazon at the moment with this link
I'm hoping it'll come out soon on DriveThruComics as well for anyone that isn't fond of Amazon/Comixology at the moment.

Here are some preview pages from the chapter: