Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Hey neat, Tokyopop is back! Let's all sign some contracts!

Luckily, a lot of people haven't forgotten how bad Tokyopop was/is to creators. Almost everything on twitter that isn't a press release is about people getting screwed over. News travels faster these days, I really hope that this doesn't hurt too many people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Please correct me on any of this, this is mostly reading articles and tweets. I'm just a spectator.

The very short version is that Tokyopop used to publish a lot of manga in English. They decided to branch out into 'Original English Manga' offering creators a chance at fame in exchange for signing over all rights to their creation and an abysmal page rate. The company crashed and burned in 2008 and lost the rights to most of their Japanese stuff, but refused to give or sell rights back to individual creators. They were mostly dead, but yesterday they made a big announcement at Anime Expo. They're launching a new mobile app that ,"One of the more interesting “Users keep the copyright and 100% creative control of their uploaded works.”

I've heard that they're going to be reviewing portfolios at SDCC.

Here are some bits and pieces of the old contract

Among them:

quote:

“MORAL RIGHTS” AND YOUR CREDIT
“Moral rights” is a fancy term (the French thought it up) that basically has to do with having your name attached to your creation (your credit!) and the right to approve or disapprove certain changes to your creation. Of course, we want you to get credit for your creation, and we want to work with you in case there are changes, but we want to do so under the terms in this pact instead of under fancy French idea. So, in order for us to adapt the Manga Pilot for different media, and to determine how we should include your credit in tough situations, you agree to give up any “moral rights” you might have.”

quote:

USING MEDIATION AND ARBITRATION If you and we can’t work things out after giving it the ol’ college try, we’ll each have the right to bring the issue to mediation in Los Angeles, California.

They mean that both parties have the right to bring the issue to mediation in LA specifically. If you're not there, you're SOL. Also if the issue goes to arbitration Tokyopop gets to use a private arbitration company, also in LA. So basically you're signing away your creative rights and legal recourse. It later says that they don't have to credit you for your work.

All of it is said in the most condescending way possible. By the way, there are a lot of artists who normally go out of their way to avoid bashing publishing companies out of professionalism, but I haven't seen anyone hold back here.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Fangz posted:

Taking the question seriously, most comics artists who depict themselves tend to draw themselves... not really much like themselves at all. For example, as a jokey persona like 'Tycho and Gabe', or even as a cartoon animal like Arakawa does:

It's probably way easier to make jokes about yourself if you don't draw yourself as looking like you.

On top of that it's hard to create an image of yourself that isn't way too flattering or way too unflattering.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

T.G. Xarbala posted:

It would be helpful to post exactly what the sort of issues or content you're worried about actually are. Otherwise just use common sense, or barring that just don't give a gently caress because it's comics on the internet.

People are assuming it's the titty thing again because you're not being specific enough.

The episode where Lassie has puppies and one crazy fan overreacted to the "obscenity," from the Rod Serling interview clip he posted.

Well, Lassie was always played by a boy so....

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
There's a convention that I'm going to next weekend, does anyone have any particular recommendations on where to get business cards? Price is my only real concern at this point, I don't have enough of a comic to bother advertising properly. I might not even do the cards.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
At this point in time the print-your-own sheets will probably work best. I don't need that many and I'm on a budget. I'm still undecided on doing it. Those Moo ones are lovely though.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

The stock quality is kind of flimsy on most print it yourself cards. What I do if I need a few dozen cards is lay them out as a 2x5 grid on an a4 paper stock I like, then spend time on a cutting mat, knife and a steel ruler. Helps to print registration marks on the outside to get cut guides, i.e. the small black marks on the outside like so:

The print your own card sheets just make them look like a stamp since they're pre-perforated. If you've a sharp enough knife just stack multiple sheets on each other and have a whole ton done at once.

I am amazingly bad with knife/scissor cuts and I don't have a paper cutter anymore. That is a helpful guide though.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
All I'd really need is a new blade, heck I might even have the cardstock. Worst case I hate them and have spent nothing. Thanks.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Reiley posted:

That's for whittling sticks, when you use an xacto you want to carefully bring the blade towards you (inward strokes are a much more precise & controllable muscle movement than outward strokes), this goes for freehanding straight lines with pen as well! If you're cutting business cards you don't really want to be using an xacto though, get yourself a paper cutter!

They sell affordable home models, they'll save you a LOT of trouble and blood whoopsies.

I inherited one awhile ago and gave it away because I never used it :doh:.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
The new ones might work better anyway, they're in much better shape than what I had. Thanks for the help.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Reiley posted:

If a cutter doesn't cut cleanly, try giving the handle a little bit of inward pressure (towards the main body of it) to ensure a clean scissor-like cut. If the blade arm is loose or you pressure it outward it won't cut well or just bend the paper, but a little pressure with your cutting-hand palm does the business.

Thanks! I don't think I've used a home size paper cutter before, so this helps a lot.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Lord Prinnington posted:

I don't usually post much of anything anywhere, but I just started making a new webcomic. It's my first real try at making something good, I've been drawing for a while but I haven't ever really finished a project or had any plans to do so until now. Fairly new to the whole process so I feel like I'm a bit worse at a lot of the things specific to comics (pacing, layout, motion, etc.) but I'm working on it and trying to improve page-by-page. Currently working on a weekly update schedule because of time constraints. I don't know a lot of people who would be able to give me any useful criticism so hopefully you guys can help out in that department. I made the first like 13 pages in a batch and uploaded them at the same time. Still working on the site layout, pretty new to this stuff. Looking back, there are a couple things I wish I had drawn differently (the grass backgrounds, the first page in the basement) but I decided that I wouldn't go back and redraw pages since I'd never be able to get anywhere if I did. If you have any tips for site layout, the pacing, the panel layout, etc. I'd be happy to hear it.

http://dologhon.thewebcomic.com/

It's a surreal mystery/drama/a little bit of horror comic more or less about a girl being elected president of her country by a pantheon of animal gods, and how she tries to make the world a better place. Set in alternate world modern times. Violence and stuff but not a lot of action. Sometimes (usually weekends gmt evenings) when I work on it I set up a stream and talk to the one random guy that decides to peek in over here: http://www.twitch.tv/coolcomic

This is pretty cool and is now on the list of things that I actively read.

Nessa posted:

Character design I did for my Character Design class.

Specs included great lines, such as:

Nice shoes, she stole 'em.
Crooked lovely broom.
Skin bag of magic bullshit.

The next project in that class is to draw our own character. I'm just not sure if I should draw the main character of my comic, or a character who will be showing up soon, but whose design isn't finalized yet.

Nessa, your witch looks good. You've improved a lot, but she's unbalanced.

Yay comics boo finals.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Scribblehatch posted:

Youtube adblock, I fully understand. I use it myself. That poo poo saves you time in your life. But innocuous little banners? I don't get it. D: Even my editor has it. I would not have found my EDITOR, someone who loves the comic, by casting out a net. How bleak!

Those innocuous little banner ads made it nearly impossible to browse SA until I installed adblock. I don't mind advertising, but I do mind popups, redirects, and ads with audio/video. Adblock still doesn't catch some of the last one. If ads were less of a nuisance, I wouldn't have it on.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Man, you guys have weird fountain pens. All mine requires is blood.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

BoneMonkey posted:

It was a pain and I hosed up some fundamentals! Hooray! the crowd look ok to you? I honestly cant think of a better way to do it that wouldn't take another 20 hours.

/\/\/\

Cool, I always feel a bit funny about photo bashing into line work, I find it a little jarring. But I couldn't think of a better way to go about it other than actually drawing it. And I have gone mad enough.

Yeah, I'm seeing it. Maybe play with the levels in that part of the image to get it closer to the rest of the color scheme and knock down some of the contrast. It looks wonderful and I'm nitpicking.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Does anyone have any tips for using gradients? I don't have a lot of experience with them, but I feel like I could streamline the drawing stage a bit if I used them right.

You will probably not use them correctly. When done right, gradients blend in seamlessly with the rest of the piece, but a lot of people fail at this. I'd second what Reiley said and if you're interested in using gradients down the road, check out Mary Cagle's twitch channel because she actually knows what she's doing with them. Watching her color in general is pretty great anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Fangz posted:

Do a test page.

Oh if the question is 'do I splurge on expensive art equipment', don't do that. There's lots of cheaper alternatives that are basically as good.

Or splurge if it's fun. Just put it in your toy budget and not your "I need this" budget. Check out the tablet thread and this blog before you choose though.