Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rethy
Feb 24, 2014

Here to Party
RIP Quetzal-Coital, you'll live on in a link at the top of the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rethy
Feb 24, 2014

Here to Party
World building is fun, and there's nothing wrong with doing so for the sake of itself, but when you're making one specifically for telling a story you've got to take a step back and think of what you really want to accomplish and what kind of world will allow you to tell a story you'll enjoy telling. After a while things are clear enough that you can start asking what other interesting stories the world allows you to tell, and it becomes kinda self-regulating.

One project I'm eager to work on down the line started as a melodramatic vampire vs werewolves thing in my young teens. Between that and me becoming an old teen, I tore down the entire plot and lore several times until all that's left is like, three characters and a monster concept. Even if the lore I cemented was cool in my 13-year-old head, I became a better writer and couldn't make anything remotely interesting and entertaining out of it! This is kinda a specific example, but I think the general idea of building the background to accommodate your personal strengths, or at least the skills you want to develop, is important to keep in the back of your mind before you really commit to something.

Rethy fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 27, 2015

Rethy
Feb 24, 2014

Here to Party

FunkyAl posted:

Here's a Weird Worldbuilding Trick: If you set it in present-day earth, the worldbuilding is already done for you!

Man, I can't write wizard battles with this.

Rethy
Feb 24, 2014

Here to Party
I was being entirely facetious back there, but if we're really honest with ourselves, JK isn't the strongest world builder out there. Like, all transactions are performed with three denominations of pocket money? Which can be forged by school children? In the gold standard? Horrifying!
That's in no way a slight on her ability as a storyteller, or the phenomenon of the series, so I guess the takeaway for us all is you don't need to sweat the small stuff!

FunkyAl posted:

Instead of "drawing" your comics, perform them live over internet simulcast

Wh-

Where can I invest?

Rethy
Feb 24, 2014

Here to Party
I want to be updating my comic weekly by the end of the summer, but it's pretty intimidating considering I'm back to being a full time student in September and as of right now, I am not prepared to Strike Video Games from My Life. One thing that helps is knowing what is taking up a lot of time in your process, and figure out how to eliminate or minimize it. Line work is by far the slowest part of my process, so I'm giving traditional lineart a shot so I can loosen up a bit and stop relying on ctrl-z so much. And as much as I love content-rich, 10+ panel pages, averaging twice the panel count of most webcomics makes for a lot of work. So, I'm also working on writing shorter, but hopefully still satisfying pages.

Just straight-up will power is also huge. Some of us... Need to cultivate ours a little more.

Rethy
Feb 24, 2014

Here to Party
In terms of independent webcomics people are often writing for themselves first, but taking into consideration one's audience's perspective and feelings is like, your one job as a person with a readership. A lot of times in comic discussions I'll see young writers getting caught off-guard when they're chewed out for implementing sexual assault, when their work already contained all kinds of violence and murders. What they're often not thinking of is that while ripping open a dude's torso and pooping inside one of his exposed lungs is a morally and legally more severe crime, there are not vary many survivors of that reading your comic. Nor are there tons of people who may have been close to a victim, for that matter.

In terms of precensorship affecting myself, I first started posting comics in a community geared towards all-ages, and since I was pretty young myself, I never even considered anyone finding what I posted objectionable. I think I've been consequentially overthinking how to tackle higher stakes and older, more realistic characters. I recently updated an outline to find that under the magic rules section, I had left notes about when I should or should not swear in the script. Which, I'd like to think was a play of the dual meanings of "curse" but I can't remember what I was thinking six days ago, let alone six months.

Rethy
Feb 24, 2014

Here to Party
Dropping by to thank everyone who's mentioned Tapastic before. I joined on a whim last night and uploaded the entirety of my old comic to test it out before I put up any new content. Less than 24 hours later, without me advertising the mirror anywhere else, I have just as many subscribers as I got on smackjeeves spacing out my updates over a week on peak hours. Although you can do less with the layout, the site looks nice and modern and honestly, until I feel ready to build and run a personal website I don't really want to sweat about personalizing a layout too much anyways. If you're like me, just staring out and need a place to put your crap, It Does the Job Well.

Rethy fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 13, 2015

Rethy
Feb 24, 2014

Here to Party
I suspect the popularity of MSPA and comics starting their lives as tumblr photosets both have a hand in that. In the case of Webtoon they started in Korea, and I think that formatting style is the convention over there.

Rethy
Feb 24, 2014

Here to Party

Process gif of the first page for my next project. Which reveals me failing to spell the title correctly, one of the many reasons I will never never never hand letter an entire page.

I purposefully moved to traditional inking and watercolour-style colouring to save myself time from agonizing over digital perfection and I feel like I could definitely do at least one of these a week. I already miss sleek black lines and high-contrast cel shading but this separation is or our own good.

I've done all of the incidental assets over the past month (RIP GAR-BAGE DICK) but I still want to have three more pages done before I launch; two so I have enough content right off the bat to give people an idea of the tone and one for a starting buffer.

Rethy fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 16, 2015

Rethy
Feb 24, 2014

Here to Party
I'm with Fortis. As a reader I prefer a hiatus to irregular updates. As a creator, I enjoy giving myself a longer break to relax and take time building up what I need over pushing stuff out the door. That said if you think an irregular update system is what you want or need, just say so and readers should understand.

Rethy
Feb 24, 2014

Here to Party

windex posted:

Oh man. See, I have this happen occasionally because when I am overworked/stressed/etc the part of my brain that makes shapes just goes gently caress YOU DAD and locks itself up in it's bedroom, with a hint of cigarette smoke coming out from under the door and the sound of a bass playing while plugged into headphones.

I find if I'm constantly adjust and redrawing a thing, just going to sleep and looking at it with new eyes is often enough to decide "actually this looks acceptable" rather than agonize over it in a sleep deprived state. Pretty sure same goes for lovely teens.

For what it's worth painted bird, I like your style so far. I'm a real fan of sharp silhouettes.

Rethy fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rethy
Feb 24, 2014

Here to Party
Oh yeah, speaking of making GBS threads out comics, I launched one a couple of days ago:

The last time I started publicly posting a serial comic I was 12-years-old and holy crap are you a lot less self conscious about this kind of thing as an oblivious tween.

(Drop Dead was super good A+)

Rethy fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 21, 2015