Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
Can I get a peer critique for this comic I made for a GBS thread? It's the first comic I've actually finished, I'm fairly pleased about it, but it took me something like a month between the paneling and drawing.

E: final layout, and text was all done in indd, individual panels were done in photoshop. The font is "Jack Armstrong." Does anyone else build pages like this? Or is it easier to do everything in one program?

Johnny-on-the-Spot fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

lofi posted:

make the background less bright, it kinda pulls attention away from the content of the panels.

Thank you, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

lofi posted:

Really? What sort of thing? I have gently caress all knowledge of text-layout beyond photoshop, I'm all in favour of new cool tricks.

I've found doing text in photoshop is unwieldy, and indesign just makes everything a lot simplier and easier. At my last job one of my coworkers was building up a pamphlet in photoshop, text and all, and looking at his layers panel gave me a head ache. For a small amount of text, or applying special effects to text, photoshop is your best bet. But when dealing with long strings of text indesign will make your job easier for you. You can keep all the text fields in one layer and and change the fields shape and size without messing with the format of the text already inside the field.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

FunkyAl posted:

You ever think about how photoshop is a photo manipulation program? is it good for comics?

If not photoshop, is there a better adobe program suited for drawing? I should probably try other programs besides adobe, but so long as I have access to creative suite I'm their whore.

Also, props to ThePlague-Deamon and lofi, those panels look legit.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
I'm just assuming, but even if your submission is for writing, publishers would still like to see a comic worked up from your script.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

I figured out how why #3 looked so familiar! It's Bubbie from "The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack."

I'd read more about your magic pig. So thumbs up from me.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
I've been working on this for too long, but I decided to take a break, and now I can't bring myself to work on it any more. I may have gotten too ambitious with it, and I was experimenting with different techniques. Hope you guys like it.

I'm happy with what I've learned doing this project, and would appreciate any advice and/or criticisms.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Thanks for the compliments, and yeah, you're right about the writing/sketching thing. Originally, the comic wasn't going to have any text in it, but halfway through I realized a good way to write for the fisherman. And the last page was pretty much a cop out because I just wanted to do 8 pages and needed a quick ending. I have an idea on how to continue the story, but I just have lost interest in the project for now. I'm hoping to pick it up again but that might not be for a while.

E;

lofi posted:

Also, you should end it with death-shark swimming away into the sunset and a 'fin' :haw:

I just got this, bravo sir!

Johnny-on-the-Spot fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 26, 2018

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Have you ever thought of formatting your webcomic in readers spreads, so you can do a twopage spread online?

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
With no idea toward the content, I'm guessing you have an epic in mind, with Thera being the main world hub? So the main working title should be "The Humans of Thera," and the first entry's subtitle being "Beyond the Gate." Which seems a bit fast paced if you want to do some solid world building. I don't know, I'm terrible when it comes to titles... Maybe try something along the lines of "The Extended History of Thera: Off World?"

I'm trying to do another comic short and am wondering if any gay men have any horror stories involving online dating?

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
I don't do tumbler so I can't even read it at all, try hosting on a free web comic website (does drunk duck exist?) if you can't write/afford your own website. War hammer is popular so your subject promotes itself. Good luck sir, so long as you are dedicated to this endeavor there's no reason you can't have some sort of success.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
I'm into it. Can you make up something up like a shopping list for the holiday season? A catalogue would totally be appropriate for subject.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Happy Halloween Comic Thread!

I'm planning on refining it over this weekend, but I wanted to make sure to post it today, so any feedback would be appreciated!

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Looking good lofi! I really like the atmosphere you established in the first page.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Glad to hear you liked it. I'm pretty proud of it,

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
There's a fun idea that n there, maybe picking someone else's color scheme and producing a comic out of it. I'm not sure how to do it, but I'd be all for it. I definitely enjoy working in more restrictive projects.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
No ones jumped down my throat, and I've spammed the thread with my half-baked comics. This is a good space to post whatever comic you have get some real feedback from people who are just as dedicated to the craft as you are. Feel free to share your comic with us Fruity20! And remember, there's no such thing as bad press.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
I use Jack Armstrong italic for my comics. As for where I get my fonts, I go where ever I can find what I need.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
If you publish a comic on webtoons, can you print physical copies to sell as a patron reward, or convention special, or have you lost the rights for that?

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Mike Spittle's expression kills me.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
I started a new comic, Tales of Wasted Youth. Its a coming of age story about a slacker. I planned out an entire years worth of updates and am suppose to do 5 pages worth of panels every monday. Without floating all my anxieties, I was hoping to get an honest critique of my fist complete issue.

https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/tales-of-wasted-youth/list?title_no=334276

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Your "Bobs" are adorable, can I be one of your students?

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Coloring by hand will also give your webcomic a very unique look that will help it stand apart from other digital based comics, so I wholly support this endeavor! Reminds me of the Kick-rear end comic.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

Truman Peyote posted:

My plan now is to print it. I have some PDF/tiff files at 600dpi with all of the edits you see above. I'm a bit concerned about how smooth the lines will appear on the printed page, though. Here is what a slice looks like if I cut out 450x450 pixels and paste it into a 72dpi image:

The line edges are kind of craggy in a way they don't really look on the page. Do I need to worry about this before I send it to the printer? If I go to staples or something and ask them to print it at 300 dpi, will that be a useful preview of how it will look on the page from a "real" printer?

600dpi is a bit overkill for a finished print quality ready file, but I work at a small time print shop. If you want, I can do some text prints, and scan it and or photograph it under a loop. Feel free to DM me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Looks great! Love the Cover!