Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Hey I've been scouring the forums, and the next at large for advice on my comic, and help in general. I'm a new artist, I started drawing about 18 months ago, but I didn't start taking it seriously until december, when I started spending an hour or two doing studies every day. I've fallen off that wagon a bit, because I learned that taking a break when doing intense practice is actually really helpful. My webcomic is in my avatar, but I have the latest page here, and was wondering if I could get some critique or feedback? I'm pretty thick skinned, and can handle it. Though in my experience people who say that generally can't I really can, and every piece of advice I got from a new artist has helped me grow so much. I'm crossposting this to the digital art thread as well, so yeah! Let me know what you think!

Specific criticism I'm looking for (besides general things that you think I might be missing entirely!) Ways I can tighten up the style I'm going for, whether the textured canvas works well or not, thoughts on the textured multi-colored lines. Brushes that might do the same thing or better! The one on the left is the size I upload at, and the size on the right is my original working size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Yeah absolutely, I made this today because people were commenting on my progress, and it made me so happy.

(Link for full size: https://bobapearlessence.com/Webcomic/06/Never_Give_Up.png

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Reiley posted:

I can see you are using a 3D model program like sketchfab or similar for perspective reference, but the jump from the first image to the rest and some of the cues in the later poses feel like you may be tracing directly on top of the 3D models; the silhouettes look extremely consistent but the interior linework doesn't describe the form of the subjects on quite the same level yet. If this is the case and this process serves you for getting your narrative out then that is fine, but if you want to really grow your drawing style it may be a hindrance long-term to use the reference models in this particular way.

Absolutely, you nailed it in one, I've learned that way since the beginning. in fact some of the growing pains you see starting in may are me trying to break from that 3D mold and getting better at when the tracing is appropriate and when it's better to use as a general guideline for proportions!

E: I have been getting more confident and been pushing myself to grow in just the way you're talking about, I'm sure there's going to be another big dip as I go further in my craft.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 17, 2021

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
According to the access log on my webserver, I've hit 35,000 views between the webcomics thread, my thread, sufficient velocity, webtoons, and tapas (the last 2 have like 100 between them,) and 3.3k unqiue viewers.

Visits:

Unique Visitors:

I don't know what badgame.net is, but it seems like people are enjoying my stuff and starting to link it on other forums as well.

I just wanted to celebrate in my success, I love that my stuff is getting so popular!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Yeah I'm super stoked, I've put a ton of time into learning how to draw and write, so to see it take off like a rocket like this makes me so happy.

E: I just wish I knew what badgame is, there seems to be a small community enjoying my stuff.

E2: Someone just told me badgame was a nazi off-site, I think I had heard of this before. Woof, not a good look.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 7, 2021

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
This is my website:

https://bobapearlessence.com
https://bobapearlescene.com

I use Wordpress plugins to make everything work. The front page is the latest post, and I can schedule updates or post live. I mostly just post when I'm finished with no update.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
There's also a lot more to a comic then just the lines on the page, and the style decisions made when creating your own thing vs imitating someone else creates a weird inbetween space. It feels not good to hire someone else to do someone's exact thing because they're too busy, but if that's what you want and are willing to pay for it, you could try to just buy you way in. For a lot of people there's an amount of money they will put someone else's work aside to work on yours for, (and for a lot of people there isn't.)

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Try resizing in Photoshop or Gimp, I host my own website, but that's because I refuse to adopt the webtoon format. I'm almost assuredly less popular because of that. It'll also scale better if you do 2x or 4x the original format, that keeps all the resizing square which'll help with fidelity.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 10, 2022

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It doesn't, the CSP for comics setting has hosed up every comic page I have ever created. Always use for illustration imo.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

readingatwork posted:

I wonder how people would feel about a “goon-made comics” thread. Basically it would be a place you can post the individual pages of whatever you are working on on a regular basis. This thread is nice for shop talk but I wouldn’t feel comfortable posting every update I make here.

No-one would read it, you can post your comics in the PYF Comics thread, and BYOB CCCC Webcomics thread, but if it's just a thread where goons post their comics it'd pretty much just be 3 - 7 of us posting at each other.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
When you say rules, are you talking legality, or getting like, a bunch of heat on the internet?

e: If you're photobashing, you might want to consider using img2img with AI, which takes all legality out of the question for now, but stylus artists will have a conniption if you end up on twitter.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

What are people’s experiences with sharing their comics on social media?

I made an Instagram earlier this week for sharing snippets and posting updates on Samsara and so far it’s just been friends and family following it. How do people find ways to get their stuff shared more publicly and get the word out? I heard that the algorithm favours videos over pictures in Insta so I’ve tried animating the art with simple effects, anyone else have better experience with this stuff?

You get viewers by Networking, finding reddits, forums, and discords where it'd be appropriate to share your stuff, and just talk about it constantly. Not just "Oh my comic is good," but your actual interactions with the work, and what parts resonate with you. My Steppe Into The Ring story took off when it started getting shared in "Empty Spaces" twitter, which I was largely unaware of, but happened to hit the right niche. It only took off there, because someone who I was talking too at random loved it and shared it. It started to hit this little community, and that gave it enough of a boost in the algorithm to have it take off in other places. Also find ways to share it that gives you analytics. The radio silence can be deafening, and feel like you're not making a difference, but I just killed off Steppe Into The Ring, and it was a huge mistake, there were dozens of letters, almost immediately today, and probably more to come, that were really sad to see it end. People weren't sayng anything, but there were people reading. Getting a way to measure eyes on the screen is important.

With social media like twitter and instagram, your stuff has to be hyper optimized for phones. Your instagram isn't, you're doing horizontal videos on a vertical format.

Here is a person I follow to give you an idea of what this content could look like.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7169663923535252778
https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/the-right-hand-of-death/list?title_no=688670

Hitting the Algorithm lottery involves consistency, and getting lucky. Basically, you're pulling a slot machine lever, and every piece of art you put in is a quarter. Except you're kind of trying to fit dimes in the slot and hoping it works. I'm like on tiktok and instagram for multiple hours a day as a big ole zoomer, so I'm hitting this with that mindset, but your videos don't look great on the app. It's gets downsized and very jaggy, and there's some serious issues with letter boxing. Here's what they look like on my phone:

You're doing videos, which are reels, which show up on their tiktok equivalent, those need to be 1080px by 1920px Portrait or else they get deprioritized by the algorithm. So make sure your videos fill out the phone screen. Also it's just music, what would be better is talking about an aspect of your story while drawing something or creating specific videos FOR your comic, especially if it's just something being drawn. It's also going to take longer then a week, definitely months, and possibly years to get seen. If you worked with other people, you need them all to follow, you need them all to re-blog, and even comment that little boost in the beginning can be the difference between two or three people seeing it, and if they share it with 100 of their people, that could be the difference between 300 and 600.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I've been working on making my own website, and I think it's functional if not perfect, I can explain the code and stuff so that if you have a Wordpress site you can try the same thing.

That said, I think I want to just self host a react site, or a CMS on drupal or something like that.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
If you find it let me know, the best you can do is throw a links section on your site and link to each other.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I exist, and continue to create, still amaturish in quality, it's not something, but it's much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Can I get some opinions on this ad I'm writing for reddit and a few other forums to try and sell people on Boots? I want to sum it up so people could join in right now from tomorrow's page and immediately be caught up, while still being a kind of pitch for the story itself. It's 500 words, is this too much? Also is it too wordy?

In the thrilling and immersive world of Adventuring Boots, Marie and Jaina, two ambitious young women, join the ranks of a crime family led by the cunning and resourceful Claire. Their ultimate goal is to earn enough money to pay off their beloved Uncle's staggering bounty, which has reached a whopping 750,000 dollars. To achieve this, they aspire to become adventurers, a group of highly skilled and powerful individuals who take on dangerous missions and battle fearsome monsters for the government.

Their journey takes them on a rollercoaster of perilous missions, where they must navigate a world filled with magic and intrigue. One of these missions involves robbing a fence named Tony, who specializes in dealing with magical artifacts. Tony's collection includes a unique talking magic blade called Carissima Lama Zanna, which is gifted to cursed individuals like Marie. Marie's curse prevents her from wielding magic, but in return, she has access to a powerful inner fire that craves magical energy.

The world of Adventuring Boots is built on a foundation of magic, with Wearg Trees serving as the source of all magical power. The story explores different types of magic, such as Magenta, Yellow, and Black, each tied to different emotions and aspects of the characters' lives. As the characters grow and evolve, they discover new ways to harness these magical forces to overcome the challenges they face.

Throughout their journey, Marie and Jaina encounter a colorful cast of characters who enrich the story with their unique abilities and personalities. One such character is HotWheels, a talking skeleton who shares a deep bond with Trombozo, a man capable of wielding Clown Magic. Both HotWheels and Trombozo are Slimeborne, gooey beings that can shift their forms and fuse with other creatures. Their fusion into a single entity called Trombonezo adds an emotional layer to the story, as Marie grapples with the loss of her friend while navigating a budding romance with Spinnelope, Trombozo's former partner and a powerful magic user herself.

As the plot unfolds, the true extent of Claire's ambition is revealed. Her ultimate goal is to transition her criminal empire into a legitimate corporate conglomerate. This shift in power dynamics forces characters to confront their own beliefs and motivations, resulting in a rich tapestry of complex emotions, ideological differences, and the consequences of their actions in a rapidly changing world.

The world of Adventuring Boots is a place where hard work, determination, and embracing one's true self are rewarded with incredible abilities and power. The characters face numerous challenges, both physical and emotional, as they strive to achieve their dreams and make sense of the world around them. Along the way, they forge powerful alliances, confront dangerous adversaries, and ultimately, discover the true meaning of friendship, loyalty, and love.

With its engaging plot, memorable characters, and enchanting world, Adventuring Boots is a captivating story that takes readers on an unforgettable journey filled with magic, adventure, and personal growth. Delve into this unique and vibrant world, and join Marie, Jaina, and their eclectic group of friends as they navigate the perils and joys of a life filled with adventure, intrigue, and self-discovery.