Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

graven images

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

Das Boo posted:

So I've been out of work near a whole drat year and I started working on a horror comic idea I'd been kicking around. I showed it to a friend in the profession and he admitted it could be a hard sell since it's "clearly not made to cater to a demographic." Mind this was said in a positive way regarding story, just not in marketability. He's a good dude.

It's probably not going to be published, so I figure I might as well post the Dropbox to the first chapter here. It's the only one I have done atm. Currently working on chapter 2.

Roth

Trigger warning for depiction of suicide and use of a slur.
i really love this and look forward to seeing where it's going

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

the whole thing about having to make things for a clearly defined "audience" is so crap, it's fed by the need to monetise everything and market to specific target demographics for maximim return on investment and is a big part of why art of all kinds is so stagnant right now.

it killed my art dead when i was a kid to try to show my comics and stories to adults only to immediately get the "who is this for? who's the target audience?" question. if i named a specific group of people i thought might like it, the adult would immediately start picking out characters and plot points that needed to be removed because that target audience would not be interested in them. and it had nothing to do with the work itself, everything to do with the ultimate goal of getting something published and maybe getting paid for it, which they reasoned would only be possible if it was very carefully designed to tick a publisher's boxes. completely counter-intuitive to what their aim should have been, encouraging the weird kid to make sincere art that is not crippled by self-consciousness.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

off topic nvm, sorry thread

mahershalalhashbaz fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 27, 2024

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I do think there's a happy medium, as I'm glad no one crushed my dreams as a kid but I do wish somebody had warned me maybe in my late teens - early 20s about the whole marketability thing

I have my artistic integrity and no running water. Mmm dollar tuna right out of the can eaten in the dark with a plastic fork, it's my favorite
:( i hope things improve for you soon.

it's definitely not wrong to teach artistic business skills to learners. this example kind of just touched a nerve for me i guess. sorry about the rant!