Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I've been wondering about putting my strips on line.
I publish a fairly popular series of strips and short comic stories in the Belgian magazine "Spirou".
But I was never able to find a publisher in English. (is that even possible in print? It seems it's all about syndicated 7 day a week strips with only a handful of artists getting a spot)
I tried to put some strips on line through imgur, reddit and what not. Resulting in 100000+ views sometimes, but the traffic coming back to your own site is about 20 people.
And so, I guess there's no way of making money of banners etc...?

Maybe some of you have more experience with these things, and I'm hoping for some help :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Mercury Hat posted:

Double posting because Manga Studio is on sale again, digital version, until September 29. $87 for EX, or $50 to upgrade your copy of 5, or buy the vanilla program for $15.

Does anybody know when manga studio 6 (or clip studio) is coming out?
I haven't seen anything posted about it, or even what the new features will be.

It's great software by the way, I use it every day.
I used to work with photoshop, but I hardly use it anymore. It's hard to explain, but the drawing in MS is just better. The coloring tools, with things like the "area scaling" feature, are also better.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I know most of you don't speak Dutch here, but if you do (or if you don't, what do I care),
consider voting for my short story that was nominated for a Plastieken Plunk (a plastic Plunk, Plunk being a comic book character).

You can find it here: http://goo.gl/FIQvWz

Thanks

Now I'll have to come up with a nice way to bribe the jury, which they actively encourage.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Do any of you guys have experience with people who can help set up a simple comic press site?
I have a wordpress site and tried changing it with comic press to have the typical online comic layout, but I just can't get it to work.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Phone pics of my 'serious' graphic novel project I keep working on outside of my regular work of making funny comics for Spirou magazine here in Belgium.
It's moving very slowly but I really hope to finish it one day.
My storyboard is about 185 pages and I think I have about 70 or so ready now without post in photoshop (adding frames/changing colors etc...).

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
So Mercury Hat advised me to post my question here. I'm sure I did that already some time ago,
but I'll try again:

I make the comic Captain Anchovy. The stories and strips are published in the Belgian magazine http://www.spirou.com/
I also translate the strips in English and put on my site: http://mrfart.be twice a week.

The site was made with wordpress/comic easel like most online comic sites.
However it has some errors. I payed a freelancer to fix it and she made it considerably worse.
I tried to hire other freelancers and it seemed they didn't know what they were doing either.
So now I'm still looking for someone who knows Comiceasel and can fix the problems.
I'm willing to pay for it of course.

if I can't find somebody I was thinking of starting from scratch.
Does anybody have experience with Grawlix? It looks less messy than wordpress.
But maybe it's very limited?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Prof. Ann Mary Ann posted:

Flatulent sir,

I'm the developer of Grawlix. Its front-end code is intentionally less complicated than WP. If you can build plain HTML pages you shouldn't have much trouble creating your own theme. We can help with that as well if you'd rather spend money than time.

We don't have a universe of mods and plugins, so that may be limiting to some. We want to add stuff like that, but the Grawlix Team is only two people right now.

Also if you become a user, you can help influence product development. Please do check out Grawlix and feel free to ask questions!

Wow that's great.
I don't need a plethora of plugins.
What I like about comic easel is the function to batch upload a bunch of comics and schedule in advance when they'll be posted. Is this possible with grawlix? Also, it looks like it's possible to have more than 1 comic on a site but I didn't see it in one of the example sites.

Thanks

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I'm thinking of drawing my next comic (if I ever get there) with a more technical pen, without variations in line thickness.
I don't have money fo real rotring pens, and the way I press my pens would destroy them too fast anyway.
There are some nice cheap alternatives, but the very thin ones that I like most (pilot hi-tec) aren't water/light fast.

What are some of you guys favorite weapons?

Sorry if this is a repost.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

al-azad posted:

What's your budget and why does it need to be water resistant? Right off the bat I'd recommend a disposable like microns.

water resistant because I like to put in some color with sepia ink or something similar afterwards.
Actually, I've been using the lack of water resistant ink in the pilot pens in my sketchbook to my advantage.

I just put in shades with a water reservoir brush, and the ink smears enough to put in some blue/gray shading.
It's a lot of fun to sketch on the train or in a pub on holiday.

I think I'm gonna give the rotring tikki pens a try.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I got to make the cover of his weeks Spirou magazine.
Besides the cover, I also got a gag page, dual game page, an interview and… a “mini-réçit”!
that's a tiny album that you need to fold and staple together yourself.

If anybody speaks french and lives in europe, you can find it in the better newspaper stands, or you can find the digital version here:
http://ww4.izneo.com/albums/journal-spirou/n-4131-tome-4131-A24277
But I’m not sure how easy the folding and stapling will be in that one.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I notice nobody here seems to publish on something like comixology.
I know nothing of digital publishing, so I was wondering why? Is it that bad, is there a downside to it?
And what about sites like big cartel?
I'm genuinely asking, since people prefer just putting their work on tumblr.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Kojiro posted:

Well, they're completely different formats, really. Putting it on Tumblr means its free to read, comixology means they have to pay for it upfront, very different markets.

You're right, they are very different. But I see a lot of stuff on tumblr that could be sellable on something like comiXology, but people don't seem to bother. Does that mean the profit is so small it's not worth the effort, or do they keep it free out of principle, or have another way of getting some revenu like patreon...

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Kojiro posted:

Yeah I've not made much on comixology either, also if you're outside the US they pay you in a cheque, which is pretty not great since the bank takes a chunk out of foreign cheques. Throw your stuff on there if you like but don't make it the backbone of your business model. Patreon is much better for that kind of thing.

Well, everything I ever made was already published in Belgian magazines. These are very much my backbone :).
If I publish something it would just be the english translation of dutch/french stuff and it feels like it would be more fun to publish it in the form of a digital book as opposed to images on a website.
But I have no illusions of making any noteworthy money with it.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
My first 2 Captain Anchovy albums will be published in Dutch in January.
I'm still selecting content. After all these years I got hundreds of pages and the selection process isn't easy.
I hope I'll get to do something similar in French. Had a positive meeting about it this weekend, but it's all wait and see.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I use the story editor too,
but it's far from perfect.

I've set my default fonts etc in the preferences, but for some reason when I enter text into the story editor, it sometimes displays a random font, sometimes even with vertical text direction.
As far as I know you can't change fonts in multiple textboxes or layers at the same time?
Why can't you select multiple text layers or boxes holding shift?
It's so tedious. Or am I missing something?

I also wonder when they're gonna make it possible to do super basic text edits, like rotate.
Or is this also something I missed?

edit:
I just found out about apply tool property to selected text.
At least that's something. but when I drag text from one page to the next in story editor it keeps changing the text back to vertical text direction.

mrfart fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 25, 2018

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Published another compilation album in Dutch from my gags and short stories I made for Spirou, a Belgian comic magazine,
published in French (making it very complicated with all the translations).
Anyway, I'm grateful I get to make that comic. But my more alternative graphic novel has been on hold for forever;
I decided the try and get a government grand, now that I found a small publisher who wants to publish it. But chances are slim.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Johnny-on-the-Spot posted:

If you publish a comic on webtoons, can you print physical copies to sell as a patron reward, or convention special, or have you lost the rights for that?

It’s your work. They don’t pay you, so it would be disgusting if they also would take your rights away.
It shocks me a little that people somewhat meekly assume companies have the right to do that. I guess we’re getting used to taking poo poo.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I think it all depends on the website or app your comic is viewed on?
The standard comicpress/easel wordpress site doesn't have the option to make pages scalable. Or not as far as I know.
But I have friends who publish on that webtoon app or izneo app in europe, and it's a bigger resolution. But the app adjusts it to your screen size.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

sweeperbravo posted:

Where do you go to talk about poo poo?

Like besides this thread, which tends to get a few posts in a month

I started my comic 10 years ago at a time when I think webcomics were just past their peak of popularity. Back then there were plenty of forums and sites to sign up with where you could talk with other people in the same hobby.

Now it feels like everything's just dying off if not already dead. Idk if it's just because I'm old and didn't follow the trend of where things were going, or if it's because I fell out for a while and then got back into things recently, but it seems like 99% of the people who were active anywhere a few years ago are gone and I guess it just makes me kind of sad. Tumblr and other more recent similar social media seem really lovely for sustained dialogue, or actually getting to know anybody. SmackJeeves got bought out by some google-related company and I had hoped that would bring new life to the community but it just seems to have followed along a steady decline

I poked a bit around the tapastic forums which seem active, but something about the layout makes it hard for me to follow discussions. That seems like the best bet rn though

I guess it's probably in my best interest to stop looking for a community, and just focus on making my comic for the 3 people worldwide that read it now and then, but shooting the breeze with other artists was fun and rewarding back in the day and I miss having those interactions with people.

This has always been a problem in the comic world. I thought it was just so small in my country (Belgium), but the worldwide community seems almost smaller and I don’t know any forum with a substantial amount of pro or semi pro artists who you can talk with. It’s the same with technical forums for clip studio or something. There’s not enough activity to get something going. And, as others here said, the mainstream social networks don’t want real discussions, they want you to get lost in their UI and click poo poo you shouldn’t.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

lofi posted:

Comicpress seemed to break most of Wordpress for me, I could never really get it to play nice with any other modules. But I don't know of a better solution.

It has been giving errors lately on my site. I didn’t change anything and don’t know how to get rid of them. It’s always been something like that with comicpress. And again, there’s no community to ask about it.
I asked the creator himself about some of the problems, and he answered a couple of months later. Understandably, he has better things to do.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
So I submitted a comic at comixology. It's a compilation of about 80 pages of jokes and small pages I made a long time ago for various European magazines.
I don't know if they'll approve it, but I was a bit shocked to find out it takes up to 3 months for them to tell you, and even if they do it's another 8 weeks before it's even on their site.
I'm not sure if you can submit anything yet in other languages, and since most of these stories were originally in Dutch or French, I was thinking about selling these versions somewhere else.
But I don't know where. The only Dutch/French online comic platform only takes submissions from big publishers. I would like to sell a pdf or something somewhere, but sites like bigcartel ask a monthly payment, and we all know these comics don't sell enough to make that an option.
Maybe I should just give it away on my site with a donate button to paypal or something, I don't know.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Neon Noodle posted:

Gumroad is really good, I’ve used them for probably 8 years? I sell both physical and digital items and have never had a problem.

Their payment plans seem confusing now. The links on their help page don't work anymore.
Do you pay a monthly fee, or just a percentage on a sale?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Neon Noodle posted:

Percentage on sales.

Thanks for the advice.

I gave it a go:

https://gum.co/theprof

I'm sure I'll make a fortune :)

The first stuff is very rough, but I wanted to make it chronologically and give a little 'history' of the comic scene in Belgium.
Anyway, never got to do much with this character, as it was deemed too alternative for the market.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

readingatwork posted:

A couple thoughts.

First, I love the line art. That city is fantastically designed and the detail is amazing. The coloring though isn’t working for me at all. It’s messily applied, which conflicts with the more precise line art, and feels “muddy”, as you said.

A lot of this is caused by the colors you use for base colors and shadows. As a general rule if you are lighting an object with a warm light the shadow will be a cool color, usually a gray-blue of some kind(and the opposite goes for cool lighting). You should NOT be just using a darker version of the base color. Ever. Here’s an incredibly lovely example of what I’m talking about with a yellowish light source.

Also, desaturate your brightest colors a bit. I’m seeing several colors here that are at 100% saturation and that’s generally a big no-no. Particularly regarding blue, which is an attention hog to begin with. If an element isn’t supposed to aggressively dominate a scene consider dragging that color bar a bit more towards gray.

Finally, limit your color pallets a bit more. Your cityscape has colors from all over the color wheel. Try instead to find 2 or 3 major colors and a couple slight variations of each and then work with just that. As long as it’s clear what’s light/shadow or warm/cool you can get away with a LOT even if it’s not perfectly accurate to real life.

Hope that’s helpful. Feel free to ignore me if somebody who actually knows what they’re talking about chimes in.

E: And yes, practice like mad. That’s always the most useful thing.

thanks, I lot of sound advice.
Also, some of these bright colors will disappear when converted to CMYK, though, I don't know if anybody still cares about printing, but I have to.

I got a bit of a shock that I found a magazine publisher who will actually pay for a side project that I handed in for a subsidy.
I even got a small subsidy from the Flemish government too. Though, that's more for a more alternative project that I'll be doing after this album, I guess.
This will be more of a 'broad audience' comic about a mid-life crisis dude, who decides to start skateboarding again after 30 loving years.
ABSOLUTELY NOT based on real life in any way.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

readingatwork posted:

Do you have a Twitter/website/etc I can follow your art at? (The same goes for everybody in the thread btw I'd love to add people to my reading list)

Well, I have my website
http://mrfart.be/
which has a 'new' old comic strip weekly, but I should really translate some newer comics in English and upload them.
Same goes for tapas:
https://tapas.io/series/Captain-Anchovy

sometimes I put them on twitter but I often forget.
I tried insta, but basically had to re-cut everything, and didn't want to bother.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I used comic easel on my crappy word press site to schedule all my comic strips twice a week for a whole year. Anybody know of a good tool to do this for twitter?
And maybe instagram. Though the latter also basically requires you to recut all of the comics into single squares and post them in series. It’s an insane amount of work.
I was hoping to use the share function on the Wordpress,but the share plugin I use doesn’t share the image, just a link on twitter.

http://mrfart.be/comic/captain-anchovy-ice-scream/

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I just finished making a font for a new graphic novel. It has a lot of variants (variations of the same letter, to make a font look more natural) and ligatures (combinations of certain letters have their own variation).
It all looked perfectly well, but now I notice to my horror clip studio doesn't seem to support ligatures or variants?
It just uses the first variant of a letter and none of the ligatures.
If this is true, I'll be forced to switch between clip studio and my 10 year old copy of photoshop to type all the text.
This seems like such an important part of comic fonts that I struggle to believe it's not supported? I really hope I am doing something wrong and it is possible to use them. Maybe any of you have any experience with this.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Neon Noodle posted:

You wouldn't happen to have a 10-year-old copy of Indesign, would you? Because Photoshop's text handling is horrific.

If you think text handling in photoshop is bad, don’t try text in clip studio:) it would drive you nuts.
But really, the problem is having to switch between software. It’s nice to see how much space you’ll need for your text before finishing a drawing. Especially in my situation where I’ll have to put the text in 3 different languages.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Reiley posted:

I am a Photoshop user trying to learn CSP and one of the nicest techniques I learned was type something in a font/size of your choice, drop opacity and use the text as an Ames guide for hand-lettering on a layer on top of the text, then turn off the text layer. That's how I handle text in Photoshop.

If it was one language, I wouldn't mind hand lettering.
That's really not an option for me. The new fonts I made with a lot of variables and ligatures become very hard to distinguish from handwritten text.
But I'll have to use something other than clip studio, seeing as the new update didn't change a thing, and apparently people have been begging for the option since at least 2015.
It's not really a priority, and maybe even an unknown problem, because the developers are Japanese.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Truman Peyote posted:

I am mostly happy with this one, still working on my textures and anatomy. Also struggling a bit with backgrounds - I feel that some have too much detail to the extent that they make it harder to read the main figures, particularly the last panel.

The most persistent problem, though, is that it looks a lot better on the page than the screen. I've asked this before but does anyone have any guides or tips for scanning b&w art? Right now the procedure is

- scan in color, 600dpi
- open in photoshop, max out the contrast a couple of times
- use a channel mask to extract the art and fill it with pure black
- resize to 72dpi and some reasonable screen size

but I feel like the line edges look sort of visibly aliased.

I used to scan in bitmap in very hi-res. But I've been drawing digitally for a long time, so I don't really know.
Thin lines are tricky
Maybe experiment a bit with the resize? Photoshop has a couple of settings how to interpreted when scaling.

I'm putting an old project online that I never finished due to not finding a publisher.
I was putting it on reddit ,could put it here too, but maybe it's not the right thread.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

readingatwork posted:

I loved that. Reminds me of the Flight anthologies. Do you have a website/social media?

E: You could also post it in the PYF comics thread. I'd bet you'd get a good reception for it there. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3794989

Thanks.
I haven't even put this story on my own website yet ( https://mrfart.be ).
And the problem with my social media is that I used them for my more kid friendly comics in dutch/french. I tried for a long time to get some traction with them in English on birdsite/tapas etc. But that didn't work at all.
It was a bit of depressing project, in that I really believed in it, but I couldn't find anybody interested in it, and I kinda kept working on it for a long time not wanting to give up, but maybe should have.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Yeah, nice style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Yeah I can see both sides of this. I’ve been living from making comics now for over 2 decades. Just scraping by. And I only did this adopting to the fraco/belgian market. I have friends (much more talented friends) who did this with more artistic comics and subsidized work. But I never managed to get to that level. But adapting a little I managed to still tell jokes and funny stories in comics. I keep riding that wave as long as it lasts. It definitely doesn’t exist in the English speaking world. It seems to be accepted that comics is something you do as a second job, and you post work for likes and make money for Zuckerberg.