Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Space-Bird posted:

This has to be one of the most confusing things I've ever read. I can't really even comprehend what is going on. Is this some sort of weird convention culture thing? I've never really done a convention. It seems weird if some guy takes your table you paid for..to do nothing about it, then complain on twitter. Is it the convention runners fault? Like..what?

Reading the accounts by the victims, it seems what happens is that he shows up early and switches table signage, so the displaced artists assume there's been some official rearranging or miscommunication (not an uncommon issue), shrug, and go about their business. It took someone who saw the change happen to alert them to the shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I had a panel in Reliquary that involved a bare titty because there's an ethnic group in that world that don't do shirts, and I spent a lot of time working on it worrying about reactions, because all instances before had been covered with various visual elements, but I couldn't manage that in this one panel, and OH MY GOD SOMEONE IS GOING TO GET MAD ABOUT THE TITTY.

Then I published the page and literally nobody said anything.

Since then, I have had occasional titty and still nobody gives a poo poo.

It's comics on the internet. The likelihood of anyone ever giving a poo poo is SUPER low unless you've already got some measure of fame.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Oh, I haven't checked the comicry thread in a while, I wonder what's

:catstare:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

painted bird posted:

Does anyone have any good guides or resources on costume design? I struggle a lot with designing clothes for characters and I'm not sure on how to start correcting it.

What are you struggling with- coming up with designs, rendering clothing, setting? There's a lot of different stuff depending on how out-there the setting is.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Another good thing for modern design is peoplewatching: Go to various different areas in your locality and just sit back and observe what people wear. Restaurants at lunch time are good, as are public spaces and shops. Try to guess things about people based on what they're wearing- age, occupation, how much they pay attention to pop culture, income level, etc. Go to the mall and check out the windows of various clothing stores. Maybe grab a fashion magazine or two, if you like having physical references. Don't forget to observe hairstyle and accessories!

In general, you also want to bear in mind local climate: Characters in Alabama in September will wear something very different from characters in Ontario in September.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I have a fairly hefty collection of books about historical costume of various areas and times; I also like to use this digital archive of an 1800s book of historical costume as a general inspiration. This tumblr has a good tagging system for historical clothes (mostly Western). Here's a good collection of French 20s fashion. This one's a general blog dedicated to folk costumes; a quick search of "russia" seemed to have fruitful results. You might also check out some Soviet propaganda posters from the period you're working with.

I'd recommend just researching how lines and silhouettes changed over the decades, and doing similar exaggerations with the Russian styles. Probably the most pronounced thing about the 20s silhouette for women was the emphasis on straight lines and a shorter hemline. In general, the 20s introduced a lot more casual clothing, particularly for men.

As a final note, you'll probably want to study the fashions of the previous two decades as well, since a lot of the time normal people (particularly poor or elderly folks) will keep wearing older fashions for everyday wear.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

EDIT: Looks like I've fixed it; apparently it needed to be switched from "Wintab" to "Tablet PC" (I have no idea WTF but at least I can draw now.)

Oh God can someone help me, or point me to a place to get a solution?

Something has gone horribly wrong with Manga Studio 5.

I tried updating to Windows 10, and made sure to update MS5 and my tablet drivers. Then, I tried to do stuff in MS5 and now the pen suddenly gets all sluggish but only in the drawing window. (It seems to be something related to the perspective rulers)

So I went back to Win8, like I'd been using, but MS5 is still acting like it's drunk.

How do I make MS work again? Augh this is the worst.

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 31, 2015

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I think it depends on how you get readers: if they're coming from the old "bookmark and check sometimes" model, a scheduled hiatus is probably better. If you're mostly getting them from social media, you can probably get away with an intermittent schedule, because they're conditioned to check when they see an update happened.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Are they supposed to all have the same face?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yeah, TBCH look at the art in some of the popular webcomics around. Art quality is not nearly as important as we assume it is. Remember: the majority of your readers are not trained in art and thus can't tell if you hosed a few things up. (And/or just don't give a poo poo because they like the comic in general.)

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

GreatJob posted:

As long as the audience can follow the story and empathize with the characters, they will read.

This 100%. Make the story good. The rest is just icing.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

A shitload of mangos and mango-style comics are black and white or minimal color. That Toronto Comics anthology a while back is also black and white. Love Me Nice, Templar AZ, Family Man... there's plenty of great black and white comics.

Do color if you like it and/or feel it'll enhance your comic in some way. Don't if it's not important to you. It won't make a big difference.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Hey Merc would it be possible to buy one of the hard copies? My dad loves Gunsmoke and I'd like to get him one.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

neonnoodle posted:

I have MS5 standard and it's stuttering and freezing a lot for me on Windows 10. This happens even when I'm working on a horizontal four-panel comic strip with a single layer. :confused:

This seems to be a common problem; I had to go back to 8.1 because I couldn't solve the issue, but if you google something like "Manga Studio 5 Windows 10 problem" you can find a bunch of different places with similar issues and various problem solving suggestions that may work for you.

The main thing seems to be making sure to update the program and your tablet drivers.

Good luck!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I don't see why you couldn't just post it here, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

My advice for business cards: Get a bunch of print-your-own card sheets from an office store, print them yourself. Cheaper and faster than ordering cards online, and unless you're planning on handing out cards in the hundreds, you have no need for the bulk printers.