Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I'm going to have my first table at Galacticon in Seattle (I'm getting it for free. Yay, nepotism!). So. That's kind of a big deal. Any "babby's first convention" advice?

I've been to plenty, but it's my first time on the other side of the table.

I know this isn't "my" audience necessarily, so I'm thinking of doing some scifi portraits of something similar to draw attention and then have some booklets of my comics. But ideas are appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Thanks for the links and advice!

GreatJob posted:

Are you doing portraits of your own characters or fanart? The former will make your comics an easier sell, but will probably not sell themselves! The latter are fun to make and sell, but will not cause people to be interested in your original comic.

This would be fanart, since my comic is about ... well, me and I don't think I'm prepared to sell merch with my face on it just yet. I just ... no.

My biggest concern is that people will come up, think the prints are neat, and then have no interest in the comic since it's a little autobio project. Which is totally understandable, but I've gotta work with what I've got.

I have some fiction projects in the making that I could talk to people about, but there's nothing there that's really ready for primetime yet. Soon, though.

I also act and have done standup and such, so when I'm not feeling incredible social anxiety (which is about a 50/50 split most of the time), I can be very charming and outgoing. So I'll just have to do my best to be charged up and ready to go when I get there.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

GreatJob posted:

Oog. Yeah that's going to be tough on your autobio comic, sad to say. The good news is, that doesn't mean it's BAD if it doesn't sell, it's just overwhelmed by stuff that people recognize.

Also, nothing that's in-the-making matters, stick with what exists on that table and just go for broke on making good connections.

I "know" all of this, but it's really helpful to hear that from someone. Thank you.

Yeah, I'm going to crank out some fanart and make some little zines to try to get some interest going. I'm doing this for the experience of it and pretty much only see it as a networking event. I don't expect to make any money or really grow my readership much, but I have to start somewhere. Also: Going to Cons with my girlfriend is a lot of fun. She's way more of a salesperson than I am, so hopefully I can get her to come hang out a lot ...

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Anyone have any pointers on getting some black and white prints made to sell at a Con?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

So, uh, don't be this guy:

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/132325-arthur-suydam-takes-up-4-tables-in-artists-alley-pisses-off-fellow-creators.html

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

The storytelling is very weak. I have no sense of space at ALL and the artist didn't seem to have any idea where to put the camera. Everything feels more like "this is how I draw this" than "I'm viewing a scene from an angle." The mix of art and content is a bit disconcerting too, since this feels like a high school kid's art project, but there's nudity and all that's happened so far is that they talk for a second and have sex.

And he has to be up in seven hours? Does he have a terrible commute? Did he go out for dinner with friends before coming home? Did they gently caress for six hours?

The dialogue is better than the art, but it's not exactly strong. "Sex is awesome" sounds a bit like the "boobs feel like bags of sand" thing from 40 Year Old Virgin. The conflict doesn't feel real at all.

I've been in versions of this argument IRL and this doesn't feel "real" at all.

I want to be positive, but this just really doesn't grab me. Maybe I'm less forgiving since there's a separate artist and usually with this level of quality it's all one person, but this feels more like a learning experience than something you can salvage.

And hey, I wrote a full 120K word novel I've shelved forever. Making things and then chucking them is not a crime.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Sociopastry posted:

For people who do autobiographical comics, how do you decide how to portray yourself? I'm thinking that I'd like to do a journal sort of webcomic, but I don't feel quite right sticking as ridgidly to my appearance. What do you guys do? How do you decide?

I've been doing Life and How to Live It daily since last April and I landed on doing a semi-realistic version of myself because I just couldn't find a cartoony version that felt natural. I played around with a lot of things and just settled on "draw the drat thing quickly in a style that feels natural."

That said, James Kochalka's American Elf using little animals and poo poo makes drawing friends and such WAY the gently caress easier than staring at a Facebook picture at 2 AM and still completely failing to get the likeness down.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

The only pre-censorship I've had is when I asked my girlfriend if I could draw her topless because we'd ridden in a Naked Bike Ride event together and she basically told me only from the shoulders up.

We don't experience censorship in the way Rod Serling did, pre or otherwise. You have Netflix making shows by popular directors with trans characters who throw wet, used strap-ons on the floor. The most critically acclaimed show of the last decade was about a man making meth. Rod wouldn't recognize modern TV, but he'd love the poo poo out of it.

Comics have even less "censorship" possible. Basically none, really.

If you are writing lovely stories that handle sensitive material poorly and someone calls you on it, that's not censorship. This is why when comedians make terrible, unfunny rape jokes and get told that they're being assholes, it's a case of them being assholes, not of anyone "censoring" them.

Maybe I'm just projecting, but I don't see how this is really even a thing if you're in America, on the Internet.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Maybe instead of worrying about making things you could make things.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

The convention I'm going to this weekend is turning into a clusterfuck and was almost cancelled, but if you're in Seattle and want to come see me at Galacticon, I think I'll still be there.

I'll be in Seattle either way since my girlfriend has family we can just go stay with if nothing else.

Anyway, I made some little books and it was rad to hold them in my hands. Just zines, but I'm technically in print!

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Galacticon (as in Battlestar Galactica) cancelled all their Battlestar Galactica guests two days before the Con opens.

This is going to be an interesting weekend.

Right now I'm just looking at it as "Well, at least every con I do after this will be better."

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Those are loving awesome (I bookmarked the link for another day) but oh my god I am so tired and just have no energy to kick up something new before we leave tomorrow morning. Especially since I'm completely behind on my Daily Comics and need to have everything through Monday (at least) caught up, scanned, and uploaded before I leave.

Some pics from the bookmaking:

And here are some pieces I did because they're fun and also to drum up commissions:

Furiosa:

Starbuck:

and, to drum up even more commissions, I did my girlfriend (who is also named Kara) as Starbuck:

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

It's a Saddle Stapler. I grew up with my Dad working in a print shop, so the Independent Printing Resource Center felt a little like home to me. I mean, it didn't smell like cleaning solvents and there wasn't a huge 4 color Heidelberg that could take your arm off, but it was close.

These staplers not too expensive on Amazon if you don't have one you can go borrow.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Anyone else tabling at Rose City Comic Con here in Portland, Oregon next month?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Anyone know enough about Wordpress to know of a way to keep someone from being able to lock me out of my website by attempting to log in to it too many times? I'm guessing I've made someone mad and I'm currently locked out for five hours. Which means today's update is delayed ...

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

It looks like there's a general attack going on with Wordpress sites. I upped my security and changed some settings and that seemed to fix the problem. I mean, someone's still constantly trying to log in, but I've never had an account called "admin" and they're completely failing to get in. They just attempt a few times, get their IP address banned, and we move on.

Most recent attempts appear to be from Sweden, of all places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Since my comics don't lend themselves to easy marketing stuff (and I'd feel weird even if people did want to walk around with a drawing of my face on their chest or whatever), I'm thinking of seeing if I can't make some t-shirts with things like this on them.

And even if i don't do any marketing or sales with this, I still want to show it off. drat proud of this puppy. 14 * 17 ink on bristol board.