Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

There's now a chatroom, #makingcomics on synIRC. If you've never used IRC before, just ask for help.

This thread is for anything comic-making-related. Comics are a great marriage between prose and illustration and they have their own unique language and structure, I like comics a lot! This thread will be more skewed towards making webcomics, but most of the same stuff applies to print comics as well. More and more these days, independent comic artists are finding a good audience online, we're in a real upswing of comics as a medium. It's an exciting time!

Previous Thread is Here

How do I use this thread?
  • Post any questions you have about your story, page layout, website, or anything else about making a comic. Chances are someone will be able to help.
  • Don't use this thread as an RSS feed for every update.
  • If you want to talk about how great the latest update of X was, it might be better off in the BSS Webcomic thread, unless the creator posts here regularly.
How do I get started?
  • You might think about getting some practice in drawing shorter comics before tackling your 500 page masterpiece.
  • Think about your update schedule: if you want regular updates, figure how many pages you can put out in a week and subtract 1. If you want to do batch updates, think of how many you can do before you feel like biting off your arm.
  • Think about why you're doing it. It's very rare that a new comic will take off right away, it's a gradual build-up. Make sure you really like what you're doing, and not just waiting for a movie option to come through.
How do I draw it?
    You'll have to figure out the best way for you make a page, it takes a bit of trial and error and there's no one way to do it. There's obviously a big push to digital, but a lot of people are still working traditional. This list will focus on digital tools, since that's what I'm most familiar with.
  • Tablets: Wacom's still the gold standard, but there's been an increase in other manufacturers making drawing tablets. The competitor tablets can be a little trickier to get working, so do your research. Professional illustrator Ray Frenden has done a number of reviews and I've heard some people are happy with Monoprice or Yiyinova tablets.
  • Drawing programs: Manga Studio / Clip Studio Paint (same program, different names and CSP is digital only I think), my favorite and it often goes on sale. You don't need the EX version, the only difference is EX has 3d models and the story mode (story mode lets you group numerous pages into a book, like a folder, it's not necessary). Paint Tool Sai and Photoshop are still very popular, too, and have a lot of community support. Ray Frenden, the guy above, has digital brushes for Photoshop and Manga Studio, I recommend you check 'em out.
Tips and Tricks?
  • :siren:Back up your work, back up your work, holy poo poo back up your work.:siren: If your only copy of your entire work is on one computer that's bad. Hard drives die, computers catch fire, lightning strikes. Back up your stuff to a separate hard drive, look into offsite archiving like dropbox, and always check to make sure you're keeping up to date files in multiple places. So many sad stories.
  • If you have even the smallest idea in the back of your head that you might want to publish, start working at 300dpi at minimum, 600dpi if your computer can manage it. 3 years from now you don't want to have to rescan or redraw a bunch of pages because all you have are your 72dpi web resolution files.
  • Save often. It's really easy to get into the groove of drawing and forget that old ctrl+s/command+s. Use it.
  • Remember comics is not a big community and that community has a long memory. Don't be a jerk if you want to be serious :).
How do I host it?
  • There are a number of free hosts specifically for webcomics, the benefit is you have a community familiar with webcomics, admins to help with hosting problems, and a built-in network of support for cross-advertising. They also usually have built-in comments systems and sometimes a forum option. Listed in the order I remembered they existed:
  • Tumblr is another free option, but it's not specifically designed for webcomics as above. You have to use the Webcomic Theme but it does support disqus integration for comments.
  • If you have your own hosting but don't know anything about coding:
    • Wordpress is probably still the simplest, many web hosts have it pre-installed or a one-button installation wizard for it. The downside is if Wordpress has a major update, it might break your plug-in until the developer can push out an update. You'll need a plug-in and they usually need specific themes. Choose a plug-in that's been recently updated, older ones may be more delicate to Wordpress updates. Plug-ins include Webcomic, Comic Easel, Manga Press and ComicPress
    • Grawlix is new to the scene, but it's a solid little Content Management System.
    There's more options if you know a coder you can commission, but any one the above will probably do enough for what you need.
How do I Network?
  • Post in this thread! It's small, but we're all doing the same thing here.
  • Find other comic communities. Forums, G+ groups (those still exist!), Facebook, whatever.
  • Social media. Tumblr, Twitter, and so on.
  • Fan art. People still love getting fan art. Draw for a comic you like, tag it on tumblr, make yourself visible.
  • Keep your ear to the ground for zines and anthologies you'd like to get in on. They're really making a come back.
  • Conventions are still a great way to meet people and get them to meet you. Even if you don't have a table, you can print up cards, minis, or little hand outs and trade or give them away to people. Don't be obnoxious, but be friendly.
  • Advertise on Project Wonderful.
How do I get Paid/Get Merchandise to People?
  • Patreon is a recent service allowing people to be an artist's patron. For comics you can choose to be paid per update or per month, and people can pledge money to you! You can even add goals like extra pages or goodies if you reach a certain amount per update/month. For rewards people offer access to a backer's only area, wallpapers, or even commissions if the donation is high enough.
  • GumRoad lets you sell PDFs, ebooks, and just about anything you can zip up. Lots of artists sell PDF copies of their comics, digital paintbrushes, etc. They don't allow adult content though.
  • If you know you have the audience to support it, comics do very well on KickStarter. Make sure to do your research on publishing costs, shipping costs, etc. Spike has a little book about KickStarting comics that I've heard is very good reading.
  • Comic Chameleon has a curation process, but it's an app that lets people read your comic on their phone or tablet. I've heard of a few people using it and they seem to like it.

New Resources!
Background and design tutorials from Twitter user Thomas Romaine. Lots of neat perspective tricks.

Film Directing Shot by Shot: Visualizing from Concept to Screen: Geared more to film, but lots of stuff can be applied to comics, too.

Random Resources scoured from the old thread.
Comics:
How to make a comic - An essential step by step guide from the very talented and successful creator of Lackadaisy Cats.
From Heresiarch a bunch of stuff!

Wally Wood's 22 Essential Panels

Books about comics:

Scott McCloud - ignoring the early 2000s "the internet is the future" stuff, Making Comics and Understanding Comics are still two solid resources. Reinventing Comics is a bit more dated and probably just worth a library check-out, if that.
Will Eisner
How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way
Random Art Posts from the old thread:
The classic Tom & Jerry Line of Action

How to draw lively poses - Spongebob drawing tips from Nickelodeon

Expressions - An excellent primer on expressions from Tracy Butler of Lackadaisy Cats.
The Phobs face tutorial.
Coelasquid's How to Draw Beef, and other tutorials (maker of Manly Guys doing Manly Things, professional animator).

OP is still a work in progress, feel free to complain about anything up there and submit OP stuff throughout the thread.

Mercury Hat fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jun 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

:frogsiren: Goooon Comiiiiiiics! :frogsiren:

PM me or post in this thread to get your comic added to the post below
Goon run comics! Some of these goons may have moved on, but their comics linger.

Here are even more goon comics:
Princess Rainblood - Operation Juicebox
Dreamers - Nessa
Latch Key Kingdom - psych
Iothera - rincewind
Monster Pulse
GunnerKrigg Court - TeaSan - Has its own thread here.
The Intrepid Girlbot - Snicket
Sorcery 101 - KellHound
The Dragon Doctors - Speedball

Retired or not updating

Bobwhite by MagnoliaPearl
untitled comic - Oldyogurt
Name Removed - 0sn
paltry achievements Little Blue Couch
Girly (ended) - SuperHappy
Templar, Arizona - DarthVersace

Do you run a comic, and want to have your thumbnail added to this post? Just Post or PM me a 300 x 250 thumbnail that contains the name of the comic.

Mercury Hat fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 19, 2016

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I went ahead and added an Imgur album with Thomas Romaine's stuff to the OP:

Background and design tutorials from Twitter user Thomas Romaine. Lots of neat perspective tricks.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

If you're looking to punch up your stuff with more action, you'll probably have good luck with Draw Comics the Marvel Way as well as the DC equivalent The DC Comics Guide to Creating Comics. Sometimes public libraries have a copy of one or both or you can probably get them cheap secondhand on amazon or half.com.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

My viewpoint is if it's directly important to the story, you should have an idea of how it works. If you're figuring out the past millenia of conflict between your elves and trolls and your story is about a kobold running a coffee shop you might have gotten carried away.

The most important thing of writing a story or drawing a comic, in my view, is to actually draw or write it. It's great if, after five years, you're happy with a pile of character designs and set pieces, but if the only way people can appreciate your story is to browse a wiki or your dA art gallery, that's not really a story. JRR Tolkien didn't publish the Silmarillion first, after all.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

For anyone using Gimp for Windows, make sure to get it from their official site. The devs put out a warning that Sourceforge is bundling it with ads or something.

quote:

It appears that +SourceForge took over the control of the 'GIMP for Windows' account and is now distributing an ads-enabled installer of GIMP. They also locked out original owner of the account, Jernej Simončič, who has been building the Windows versions of GIMP for our project for years.

So far they haven't replied to provide explanations. Therefore, we remind you again that GIMP only provides builds for WIndows via its official Downloads page.
Source

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

June is officially unofficially NaNoMango part 2! Nanomango is the comic counterpart to Nanowrimo, but less stringent in the "rules".
  • You can work on your current project(s), it doesn't have to be something totally new.
  • You can set your own goal for page count! Suggestions usually are: 30 pencilled/thumbnailed pages OR 15 inked pages OR 10 colored and inked pages.
  • If you post it on tumblr, tag it #nanomango and the tumblr might pick it up.
This is always a good opportunity to give your project a shot in the arm, so I'll be doing my best to follow through. It's good timing for me, I'm about to start a new chapter.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Space-Bird posted:

I keep trying to write about present day earth, but by the time I start writing about the present it's already the past. PLEASE ADVISE.

Watch this scene, then try to apply the lessons you learn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5drjr9PmTMA

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I just finished thumbnailing my next chapter, 12 pages this time. That should take me through to at least the middle of the month. Keep it up, guys :) .

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

How's everyone going on their Nanomango? I got started a few days ago and have managed three pages so far. I won't be able to keep up that pace, but it's a nice jumpstart to the chapter. This one's set right in Washington DC so I had a lot of fun trying to draw the landmarks and fudging a lot of the details.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Scripting/thumbnailing takes the longest for me, mostly because I combine my rough pencils with thumbnailing. It's not the drawing that takes the longest, it's thinking about what I'm going to do. To keep from getting burned out, I'll usually do one or two pages in a sitting, then do something else.

Once that's all done, though, I ink pretty quick, maybe two hours if I let my attention wander. Drawing new locations and new things takes longer, of course. I'm pretty loose with the details, sometimes I don't bother until I get to inking. I'm not sure I'd recommend my method to anyone else though.

This chapter, I'm drawing animals, something I don't really do much :parrot: .

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Mercury Hat posted:

This chapter, I'm drawing animals, something I don't really do much :parrot: .

Nanomango went well for me, I finished up a 13 page chapter this month :).

Need to figure what I'm doing next though, haha.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Hey, cool. I'll mostly be lurking since I'm out of the house or asleep most times people are active, but I'm there.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Finally got the next chapter pencilled out, now the easy part :).

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I did hand lettering for awhile, and I think I really benefited from it. For me, the opposite of Subnormality happened, where I realized how much dialogue I was trying to cram into a page and it really forced me to scale it back. Hand lettering also makes you really aware of how your dialogue is a part of your comic page, not just a separate layer floating on top of it. If you aren't, you really should be planning your dialogue and balloon placement in your thumbnailing stages. Dialogue is the first thing I put in before I move on to inking.

I had to switch to a font starting here though, because the more careful inking needed for writing dialogue was causing my arthritis to flare up pretty badly. It's a font made from my handwriting, though, and even though it's all caps, I wrote each letter twice to have some variety in double letters.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

To get a little Scott McCloud for a moment: have you experimented with different sized pages and layouts? A comic page doesn't have to fit neatly on an A4 sheet of paper these days (though it's best to keep in mind printing size if that's something you'd want to do). You can try horizontal, rather than vertical, overlap panels, chop up panels, whatever.

In my experience, it's much easier to layout a page if I lay it all out at once. What might help is thinking of your page as one big panel, with multiple smaller ones breaking it up. The action on the page flows much the same way as the action in a panel.

I do all my layouts digitally these days, for the most part, and I think it's helpful to have multiple pages side by side.

As for where to end a page, you sort of learn that by doing, there's no hard and fast rule. Luckily comics are a pretty fluid medium and you can get away with a lot, just experiment.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Clip Studio Paint (aka Manga Studio) is on sale for the next 5 days. Worth checking out: http://www.clipstudio.net/en

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I get my motivation by realizing that some nights it's more important to me to work on my comic rather than refresh the same website over and over. After dinner between 7 and 9 that's two hours I could put to drawing, rather than falling down another Watch Mojo top # video list hole.

Not to say there aren't days where I do just that instead of drawing.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Most any long form story is going to suffer from a page or so a week update, it's just the big name webcomics have fans and wikis that make it easy to refresh your memory on what's happening. I'm pretty bad at following drawn stories, I rely on comments sections a lot.

The benefit to webcomics is other fans will speak up if they don't get something, or ask someone else, plus they can easily go re-read something.

Don't discount confusion out of hand, but try finding a few people whose opinions you trust to give you feedback on what they think. It might not be confusion, some stories just read better in a big sitting.

Or turn it into a joke.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I think the purple on her face makes her look like a zombie. That'd be pretty cool, like her power is the only thing keeping the darkness of death away.

quote:

This is a girl? I really couldn't tell at first, maybe you could punch up her design a bit? It'll be easy to overlook the fine detail of eyelashes in an actual page.

I'd like to see how they all interact in a comic, though. Are you sure the size difference between the other girls and the alien won't make blocking a scene too difficult? It's great to have a lot of thought out world building, but if you don't actually make a page, it's hard to see any potential missteps.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Yeah, it feels good to hold a mini of your own stuff. I need to get into gear and figure out what I'm printing for SPX and Topatocon this year.

I'm also doing the building blocks for a second comic, a western based on an episode of the Gunsmoke radio program. It would involve things I like drawing (cool ladies busting heads and sprawling outdoor scenery) and things I'm not so good at (guns and people on horseback).

Older, initial concept art.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Yiiiikes, that's some bad news.

Whip up some "Galacticon sucks" minis ;) . You can even do a one page zine to save on costs.

Mercury Hat fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 29, 2015

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I've got a long arm stapler for stapling minis but that booklet stapler looks handy, too.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I finished up another chapter, feels good :toot: .

Now to work on the next one and figure out what I want to print up for a mini for SPX/Topatocon.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Reiley posted:

I'm proud of you for sticking with this, by the way.

:3: the trick was doing comics so much that I feel like I'm wasting my time if I'm not working on them.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I thought about this in-depth analysis of the cinematography for The Incredibles and figured it'd go well here. Being a very comic booky film, most of the shots are composed like comic panels, making for a cool study and a good inspiration for panel layouts. It's incredibly (:haw:) long, but a lot of good can be picked out of it.

Here's a sampling:

Types of camera shots.

Using background elements to frame the foreground.

Laying out characters in a frame.

Consistency of action and direction.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I finished my pencils, 30 pages!

Now to get it inked for SPX/Topatocon I'm so excited.

E: and the first page is up. Holy moly I'm pumped about this comic :dance: .

Mercury Hat fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 21, 2015

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

If you spring for manga studio ex (which I got on a hellaciously good sale) it has a book layout mode that groups your pages together in a unique file. It's not exactly necessary and probably not worth the price difference, but it's nice to have.

The other thing ex comes with is the 3d poser model things I never use.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I'm up to 10 pages done (only uploading one a day though), I'm having a lot of fun drawing this :toot: . I don't often draw people being assholes to each other, it's a nice change of pace.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

It's more for writing stories than scripts, but I thought Quoll Writer was neat.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

As long as art is clean and the reader can tell what's happening, most won't be driven off. It's hard to tell without a finished page, but you're at least at a good starting point. My early stuff was a lot rougher, to be sure.

If every artist waited until they felt like they were perfect, there'd be a lot less artists around and it's like triply-true of webcomics :v: . You're going to improve while you work on a comic, it's just the nature of things.

What I like most about doing comics is drawing nearly every day helps me improve and every page I finish feels like it's better than the one before. It's a good feeling to have an archive of improvements, I think!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I never developed much of an eye for color so I stick to monochrome and I think it works for me. There's still a lot for me to learn about doing a black and white comic, though.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

It probably breaks down on the creator vs reader line. A reader is probably more likely to think black and white or monochrome stuff is only half the work of color since hey you have to draw it in black and white first right? That's where the devaluation comes in, ignoring that really good b&w stuff isn't just drawing the lineart and forgetting to add color.

Likewise, when I was starting out, lo these 12 years ago, it was common advice to tell newbies to use color for these reasons. Color can definitely make up for mediocre work (which is most new artists) and readers did usually prefer color. If I had to guess, I'd say that since newspaper comics are mostly b&w, it was a way to distinguish your stuff and be more like the big publisher comics. Plus, at the time, no one was thinking about publishing books so since you're on the web, why not use a bunch of color?

I think it's probably changed since then, especially since most manga-style stuff isn't in color, there's probably less push for color if you can make monochrome look good.

But if you like black and white / monochrome, and want to get better at it, just do it.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I finished my western, I'm so happy :dance: . It's an adaptation of an episode of Gunsmoke (you can actually listen to the whole thing here, if you're interested).

I had so much fun doing something new and somehow I managed to slide this in under the wire to get some minis printed up for SPX this year. I'd really like to do another one, but I think I'd also like to get back to my poor neglected main comic. I've had two months of nothing but westerns rolling around in my head.

Here's some panels I liked:

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Puppy Time posted:

Hey Merc would it be possible to buy one of the hard copies? My dad loves Gunsmoke and I'd like to get him one.

Yeah, sure, though this is a fair bit different from the actual program, haha. You can drop me a line at gunmetalannie at gmail and we'll figure something out.

Rethy posted:

(Drop Dead was super good A+)
Hey, thanks :) .

I guess a western's more popular than I thought it would be, I'm real surprised at all the positive responses I've been getting. I thought it would be some weird little niche project of mine, but I'm glad people enjoyed it.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Double posting because Manga Studio is on sale again, digital version, until September 29. $87 for EX, or $50 to upgrade your copy of 5, or buy the vanilla program for $15.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Yeah, it may not be the most trafficked thread, but I think it's helped get me motivated :).

In related news, I'm halfway through another story and I'm about to start roughing out another western. I think I'll alternate the two comics for the near future.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I love when I'm ready to ink :) .

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Daily reminder to draw.

I'm so happy to be drawing this big lug again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

New favorite feature of Manga Studio: changing the color of your lines layer by layer :3: .