Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
Ahh, thank you for the new thread. Really helpful. I couldn't resist helping myself to those Frenden brushes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

So I'm starting to build a website for my comic project now and I'm pretty sure I'm going for wordpress and I'm going to use either the Webcomic plugin or Comic Easel. Does anyone have any experience with these and could tell me a little bit about why they do/don't like them?

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

WrathOfBlade posted:

I can only vouch for Comic Easel, but it's fairly solid, provided you don't mind dealing with the inherent headache of managing a Wordpress installation and the possibility of having to root around in PHP if you want custom functionality. If you're starting from scratch, it may also be worth looking into Grawlix.

Comic Easel seems the way forward. I am very familiar with Wordpress and dicking around in PHP so it immediately sprung to mind. I did have a manual website half built but I'd just rather have the functionality of automatic archiving and stuff like that rather than doing it by hand. I'll play around with Comic Easel and see what it's like and if not I'll have a pop at Grawlix.

Edit: I am quite enjoying Comic Easel.

Operation Juicebox fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 7, 2015

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Last month I finally took the dive and started a comic. I've made little comedy ones before, but this is like ... The Big One. And phew, it's hard. There's a part in the main post here that says think how many pages you can do per week and then lop at least one page off and I totally understand that now. I don't understand how some people like Blindsprings manage to put out three pages a week! I'd die.

A question from a comic making newbie. Did you guys have some serious art shifts in the beginnings of your comic? I've only got up three 'real' pages (I suppose five if you count the cover and chapter cover pages) but every time I start a new page I seem to find a better way of doing a thing and I feel like even in that short time the pages have improved noticeably. I still have a massively long way to go and lots to learn, but I guess for now I'm just settling in and trying to find my own rhythm? I feel like such a noob in comparison with everyone else's work.

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

I'm glad to hear that. One of the reasons I wanted to do this comic was to help myself improve. I figure I will be really happy if I can look at the first five or so pages in a year and cringe at how awful the art is. I think my biggest issue at the moment is transitioning. My last page felt a bit clanky in comparison to the page before it, really disconnected, like there should be a page between them, so I'm trying to double down on that for my next few pages. It's pretty fun so far. :)

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

I'll be doing my first con in May here. I'm sharing a table with a friend and I'm already stressing out about getting everything organised for a table. I've never done it before, and I'm terrified about a whole number of things. The plan so far is to sell prints, keychains and some stationary (I really, really want to take some notepads for sale with custom covers because that's what -I- like buying). For those of you that are con table veterans, what are your most popular items?

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Kojiro posted:

Which con is it? They have really different audiences, perhaps someone has done that one before and can help.

London MCM Expo. I'm prepping video game and anime fanart stuff to take. Steven Universe. Ponies. Etc. I expect those to sell far better than any of my comic related stuff.

My friend is sorting all the card reader stuff and she's a veteran so she has a lot of things already down and sorted in terms of display stuff, cash box etc.

But she sells props and prosthetics mostly so her stuff can run into the hundreds of pounds.

Buttons are a really good idea. Maybe even magnets?

Operation Juicebox fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Kojiro posted:

Ah, I've done MCM a couple of years now! As a warning, if you have a Comic Village table, they don't allow fanart sales, but you're fine if you're sharing a dealer table with your buddy. Trinkets go very well at MCM, it's a lot of teenagers after anime bits and bobs, they always head directly to keyrings/buttons etc as if magnetised. Sounds like you've got a friend who knows the ropes but if there's anything else you need to know, I may be able to help!

If anyone's in the UK and interested in taking debit cards at cons, Square isn't an option for us, but I've had a lot of luck with an iZettle reader- the cheap one that comes with a wire which plugs into your phone's headphone jack, since the bluetooth connection on the fancier ones gets a bit confused in a big con hall with a lot of other bluetooth devices around. That might just be my old phone being old again, but still, worth mentioning.

Yes! We have a regular dealer table, not a comic village table! I'm going to print some little like £2.00 or so mini comic booklets to pop on the table and I'd love to chat to people about it, but by then I don't think I'll have more than 20-30 pages and it wasn't enough to warrant a whole comic village table to myself.

We realised Square wasn't available in the UK pretty quickly, but my friend has a similar reader and I have now had to endure half an hour of 'IT'S SO COOL IT EVEN TAKES CONTACTLESS' so I'm happy.

I think I'm mostly just nervous that no one's going to like my art and that I won't make any sales. Which I guess is a fear most first-timers have. If you attend yourself though I'd love to say hi!