Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Professor Science posted:

what's Carvin's quality like? I've found myself thinking that a headless guitar would suit me pretty well, but I don't know that I want to pay $4k for a US Strandberg and Carvin has a headless guitar that people claim is pretty good (although I'm having a hard time getting past the ridiculous logo on the body).

edit: oops, thought this was the general guitar thread, not the guitar center thread. oh well

I know this is slightly older and not about GC, but Carvins are loving amazing! I have a DC800 and it's one of the most comfortable guitars I've ever played. The tung-oiled neck is smooth as butter, the A80 pickups really aren't bad for actives, and the action is low as hell with no dead spots or sharp frets. I was on the list for a .strandberg* headless multiscale 8 (and my build slot was in the next batch), but after seeing the Vaders I decided to drop it.

E: not sad at all about GC circling the drain. I've been watching this since the Bain deal, and I honestly expected it to happen sooner. Used to work at East Coast Music Mall, the Ed Roman founded shop, and when that went under a bunch of people jumped ship to GC. Don't think any of them are still working there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Hollis Brownsound posted:

My Biggest problem with Guitar Center is that they drove mom and pops out of business that had viable strategies. Guitar Center blew everyone up because they had a poo poo load of cash behind them but no way to actually turn a profit.

Yeah, ECMM used to focus on high end PRS, Gibson, Taylor, Rainsong etc stuff, but to compete with GC they started focusing on beginner gear only, and we ended up having to turn away tons of rich clients. It also didn't help that at some point the PRS dealership license got lost because Ed and the luthier were retopping cheaper PRS's and selling them as the 10-top high end stuff.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Agrinja posted:

They were what.......I've seen some goofy Ed stuff, but they were really reselling that way?

Yeah, it happened, along with a fair amount of other scummy poo poo. Ed bought the BC Rich US parts when they shut down, and was assembling them and selling them as authentic US BCRs for a hefty premium. There was also the EBMM scandal where he got the cheap imports and rebranded them as US guitars. Man was a royal scumbag who had no qualms about scamming people he thought deserved it.

There was a reason salesmen in competing shops would always say "Oh, Ed Roman shut down" whenever someone would ask for directions to his shop (be it ECMM or his Vegas place).

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 19, 2015

• Locked thread