Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I haven't been to a Guitar Center in years, and I can't say I've ever had a good experience there. They did a pretty good job of making you feel unwelcome there thanks to snobby, elitist salesman, pushy sales practices, car dealership-like haggling, a state of constant customer surveillance (can I help you? Can I help you? Can I help you?), and a general dislike for the consumer atmosphere. In those respects, Guitar Center occupies a specific retail niche with the likes of Hollister and Abercrombie and Fitch. The kind of stores that make you think "am I cool enough to be in here?"

I'd actually rather see them get rid of commission and go strictly to hourly workers. It would do away with the pushiness and up-selling and give the employee no reason at all to care about what and how much I'm purchasing of something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I can't see them going away completely. Restructuring, sure, and probably for the better in my opinion.

No Sweetwater by me but we do have a Sam Ash, no real experience with that place though.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Anyone remember when Best Buy opened a musical section in some of their stores? They somehow managed to be worse than GC.

I know I'm kind of cheap but music equipment is just so loving expensive, I buy almost all my gear used unless I can get a good deal on amazon. I've always had good luck with craigslist for buying and trading guitars and amps. Gear that's taken care of lasts forever.

• Locked thread