Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Most of the story, with links to details if you're interested:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbyowsinski/2015/05/11/more-evidence-of-big-changes-coming-to-guitar-center/

In case you haven't kept an eye on any of this, Guitar Center is walking a path that smells a lot like Circuit City's final days. The number being thrown around is that sales commissions have been cut by 75%. I can tell you that the one in my town has been getting sadder by the month and it won't be a surprise when it goes. Might get a good opportunity to nab something on the cheap when they liquidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Chimbley Sweep posted:

The one in my town is the opposite of this completely and is very pleasant to go to. The only other real music store in town is Sweetwater (Fort Wayne) and their retail staff is pretty rude and act like speaking to a customer is worse than cleaning a toilet.

If Guitar Center goes down I'll be pretty bummed, I pretty much only buy used and i Iike being able to go into the store try something out and then having them order a used one from any another store.

I'll miss them, too. When I first went to the GC here in 2007 it was amazing. One guy that worked there called me mobile furniture in 2008. It's just gone straight down since then. They've had less stuff, less display setups to put stuff on in the first place, and all the good employees have just been bleeding away. They used to have some great guitars up on the big wall, every big name represented, but now it's just 40 Mexican Fenders and 20 Chinese Epiphones, with one silly Dean and two dinky Ibanezes. It's really just kind of a downer to go there now. Too much empty floor space and the manager that's always there and always looks like he hasn't slept in a week.

I still remember when they installed a soda cooler. Desperate enough for profit to sell sodas in a store full of expensive things that should never get wet. I wonder how many spills they've had since then.

• Locked thread