Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Pretty sure the writing's been on the wall since the original Bain deal; it was just a matter of time before they were leveraged to hell and back with debt then sold off piece by piece. Kinda sucks they'll take Musicians Friend down with them, since they carry a few things Sweetwater doesn't, but oh well.

The future is likely in direct sales like what Fender's doing anyway. Unfortunately it won't bring the quality/price ratio for the more traditional brands in line with say Carvin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I've known a couple legit local shops, but they were all in places big enough to have a few shops yet small enough such that GC didn't get around to setting up there until very recently. I'm sure most of them are gone by now.

Where I grew up there was only one music store run by some creepass Mormon family who didn't stock poo poo, wouldn't order anything, and were mostly interested in gouging parents looking to get band instruments for their kids. The nearest non-pawn shop store was two hours away so mail order was pretty much the only option.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zaphod42 posted:

Why would they take Musician's Friend down with them? Are they both owned by Bain now or something?

I kinda like MF :smith:

GC bought them like 15 years ago.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

DeathSandwich posted:

The Fender dealership, on the other hand is one of the worst. They are pushy to sell the moment you walk in the door. They sell most of their guitars at full MSRP (rather than the *actual* value of the guitar you would pay anywhere else).

Funnily enough you can blame Best Buy for that, another big box retailer circling the drain.

MAP's kinda gone the way of the dodo now, especially since Fender sells direct for street price.

• Locked thread