Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The worst job I ever had was a summer job in southern Virginia scraping the paint off a gigantic iron fence so it could be repainted. It was covered in spiders, you had to grip each fence post with a metal brillo pad and just essentially jerk it off while spiders climbed all over your fingers, in 90+ degree heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

Pron on VHS posted:

The worst job I ever had was a summer job in southern Virginia scraping the paint off a gigantic iron fence so it could be repainted. It was covered in spiders, you had to grip each fence post with a metal brillo pad and just essentially jerk it off while spiders climbed all over your fingers, in 90+ degree heat.

Welp.

My submission doubles as worst/best job because it had two parts. I worked for a parks department in their summer program. We spent mornings watching kids and playing games with them. That was generally pretty fun. When it rained the kids went home and we sat around and played cards.

On nights and weekends we were responsible for cleaning the parks and managing the reservations of pavillions.

The worst part was picking up after people. What part of seeing a full trash can suggests you should cram more poo poo into it instead of walking 10 feet to the next one that isn't full? Now anytime I'm out somewhere, I'll hold my trash until I see a less empty can, knowing some poor sap has to pick up all the garbage laying around.

Anyway, the worst moment was kind of manufactured by my own lack of foresight. I was working a big event at our biggest pavilion. We had this big drum trash cans we would set out. I grabbed an extra one and tucked it around the side of the building, thinking I'd pull it out later and save myself some time.. only I didn't put a trash bag in it.

This particular event was a cookout for ~100 people with plenty of barbecued chickens. I came back to an unlined can full of half-eaten chicken carcasses. Finagling all that into bags was quite a disgusting feat.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

I once saw a stand-up comedian tell a story of how he met someone who worked as a debt collector for a children's hospital.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I had the best summer jobs. One summer I did the machinist apprentice thing where I mostly swept up the machine shop and had crusty old guys show me how to make simple parts with a manual mill and lathe. I spent the next summer re-roofing historic ranch buildings in Gallatin National Forest with real wood shingles for the park service. It was only like four hours a day of real work and we got to gently caress around and take day trips into Yellowstone the rest of the time. It had its downsides, like the week the truck that was supposed to change the portajohns didn't come, and the only place to bathe was a 45 degree meltwater torrent. But it was one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen, the first place I touched a real live boob, and the place I've come closest to dying outside of some idiot fucker in Army BCT trying to clear a jam while pointing his gun at me.

I think I got a little off topic there. Enlisted Army infantry is the worst job btw

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Call Centers suck. They'll suck your soul dry. Especially when the company forgets to pay their shipping companies and are told, officially, to lie about poo poo.

Collections suck, because you have to be a horrible rear end in a top hat sometimes; worse when your racist boss and his anger-issues having son are constantly screaming at everyone and want you to lie about poo poo to everyone including the board of directors and maybe possibly the FDIC.

Family businesses will just piss you off. And it's worse because everytime you see whoever it was you worked for (and you have to see them, because you're family), it will just constantly remind you how they screwed you and will only make you pissed off. Even worse when everyone in your family thinks you need to listen to said person because they own their own business and has such sage advice. Yeah, his sage advice said I needed to stay "near family" and pursue a career at Wal-Mart and hopefully be a manager. gently caress that, I moved to Taiwan.

Best job? Car prep/wash at a rental agency.

El Fappo
Dec 26, 2012
I'd have to say logging is the worst job. Working out in the woods all day, knee-deep in mud regardless of the season, surrounded by elderly rednecks. One of my coworkers is literally 80 years old and blind, and his job is operating a 23 ton vehicle. There's a reason it's the most lethal job in the country. Plus the pay is absolute poo poo.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I always try to be as nice as possible to people at call centers, because I'm sure their lives are awful. Same with people in IT, at my last job I would always apologize profusely when asking them for help with anything, because I'm sure for every time I came to them and had a basic idea what was going wrong, they'd get ten different people with no clue asking them to miracle away their problems.

I've been lucky and haven't really had lovely jobs, I guess the shittiest (on paper) was the summer in college I spent helping renovate one of our dorms, but I got free room & board for a summer and lots of time to shoot the poo poo with my classmates or our reformed hippie boss.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Security guard in a call center. My job was to alternate between sitting at the front door checking ID badges (even though the only way they could get in was to swipe their badge to get the door open) and to wander around and make sure nobody had anything at their workstation besides a headset, a water bottle, and hard candy. If they had anything else (cell phone, MP3 player, paper, pencil, etc.) I was supposed to find somebody wearing a safety vest (supervisor) and let them know.

I ended up getting fired because I refused to lock my cell phone in a locker during my shift.

llamaperl2
Dec 6, 2008

MightyJoe36 posted:

Security guard in a call center. My job was to alternate between sitting at the front door checking ID badges (even though the only way they could get in was to swipe their badge to get the door open) and to wander around and make sure nobody had anything at their workstation besides a headset, a water bottle, and hard candy. If they had anything else (cell phone, MP3 player, paper, pencil, etc.) I was supposed to find somebody wearing a safety vest (supervisor) and let them know.

I ended up getting fired because I refused to lock my cell phone in a locker during my shift.

Why only hard candy?

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
A lot of call centers go nuts if you chew gum because people may hear you chew it on the phone. Hard candy is easier to hide the use of.

That job still sounds epically totalitarian. Supervisors. In. Safety. Vests. You've got to be kidding me.

blackmet fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 27, 2015

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

blackmet posted:

A lot of call centers go nuts if you chew gum because people may hear you chew it on the phone. Hard candy is easier to hide the use of.

That job still sounds epically totalitarian. Supervisors. In. Safety. Vests. You've got to be kidding me.

That's not even the half of it. The Senior supervisors (I guess, the guys over the guys in the vests) had their desks up on a platform so they could oversee the whole cube farm. They also had giant flat screen TVs up on the walls that would flash things like "TEAMWORK" and "EMPATHY" and "Diane S. just received a performance award."

Did I also mention that we had to bring out own food/drinks for our break time? They had a break room, but the only way you could buy stuff from the vending machines was by using one of their company-issued debit cards. I took that to mean that that's how these poor suckers got paid.

Security cameras everywhere. I felt like a prison guard with no authority.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Someone in one of my classes shared what her job is. It's some kind of social work thing, working with sex trafficking. She has spent entire days doing interviews with a series of underage prostitutes and the johns who got caught with them.

I bet a lot of those social work jobs are the most :smith: ever.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

canyoneer posted:

Someone in one of my classes shared what her job is. It's some kind of social work thing, working with sex trafficking. She has spent entire days doing interviews with a series of underage prostitutes and the johns who got caught with them.

I bet a lot of those social work jobs are the most :smith: ever.

I think sociologists realize that humans are just sick people all around and find it fascinating beyond moral dilemmas.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

BossRighteous posted:

I think sociologists realize that humans are just sick people all around and find it fascinating beyond moral dilemmas.

A lot of social workers burn out and give up.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

My fiance is a Social Worker handling substance abuse with Women and there are days when she just despairs. Not so much at the crap her clients go through but just at the lovely people who run these programs. I grab her pads and pens at vendor conferences because they make her buy her own stationary.

41BottlesOf
Jun 4, 2011
Underground coal mining. I was a "Bull Gang" boss that had to run a crew of guys that did all of the hard labor that would have human rights activists on fire if such work was imposed on an Alabama chain gang.

I still am a coal miner, but no more belt and power moves or unit dead-heads.

Anonymous Pie
May 9, 2010
Getting paid $10.50 an hour to wipe up a bunch of poop and dirty diapers of the elderly and disabled. Back breaking work. Nursing home CNAs are vastly under paid and over worked. :(

Anonymous Pie fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 18, 2015

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Full time fast food with a Skeleton crew

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I had a 3 week stint where I would listen to two consecutive people saying 'You hit me with a wet and oily rag!'. The distance from microphone, gender, and noise/environment of the recording would vary. I had to chose which one sounded closer. Each comparison took about 15 seconds.

I did it for 7 hours each day. I was too dumb to just walk the gently caress out back then.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Uncle Jam posted:

I had a 3 week stint where I would listen to two consecutive people saying 'You hit me with a wet and oily rag!'. The distance from microphone, gender, and noise/environment of the recording would vary. I had to chose which one sounded closer. Each comparison took about 15 seconds.

I did it for 7 hours each day. I was too dumb to just walk the gently caress out back then.

Which voice did they eventually go with for gitmo?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Anything involving manual labor in humid heat. Spend all day carrying around heavy rear end poo poo in 100 degree heat with thick humidity and you'll be loving begging to sit in an air conditioned call center and have air horns shot into your headphones.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Uncle Jam posted:

What was the point of that?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Microphone and/or codec testing, would be my guess. The phrase is probably the audiologist equivalent of the quick brown fox.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I guess I've been blessed with okay jobs. I once knew a nurse who worked in a high security prison, dispensing methadone. She was only 5 foot tall and told about these 'roided up convicts would scream and threaten her, sometimes throwing her up against a wall, clamping an arm down across her throat.

I couldn't think of anything to say to that.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
I had a whole book about horrible jobs. My personal favourite was the guy who worked in a pea processing factory. His job was to watch a conveyor belt of peas and get rid of the black ones. He said something to the effect of 'eventually you developed a hole in your vision and when you left for the day everything looked red'.

The worst job I personally had was at a major Australian electronics retailer. The job itself wasn't that bad or anything, but there was something particularly soul-destroying about processing peoples orders for Christmas on a two year payment plan and I felt like the shop was taking advantage of people.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Sorry but most of these "worst jobs" are dumb kids mad because they have to do a thing that isn't fun.

Go loving work manual labor in hot and humid heat and you'll be loving begging to listen to the same clip or sort loving peas in an air conditioned room all day.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Sorry but most of these "worst jobs" are dumb kids mad because they have to do a thing that isn't fun.

Go loving work manual labor in hot and humid heat and you'll be loving begging to listen to the same clip or sort loving peas in an air conditioned room all day.
Sorry, having to read your posts is worse than doing manual labor in hot and humid weather.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I do this. It is oaky, but the winter is nice when it comes.

Working for the census was way worse. So was retail.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

working as a welder's helper for poo poo pay can be pretty bad, especially if you start out working pipeline jobs. Don't know what you're doing, so you're slowing down the welder who is being paid piece work, so he's pissed off at you. All kinds of toxic fumes, big doses of UV, and getting burned by hot slag. Also: Pipeline welders tend to be primadonnas.

Still not as bad as working in a call centre cold calling people to ask if a certain political candidate can count on their vote.

Annoyed person on the other end: "How dare you ask me who I'm voting for! We've got a secret ballot in this country."
Me: "Honestly I would answer the same way. I just really need the money to eat" :suicide:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Secks Cauldron posted:

Anywhere that's a family business.

:agreed:

I'd go one step further: any company where a group of people will be given preferential treatment over others regardless of their competence.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

:agreed:

I'd go one step further: any company where a group of people will be given preferential treatment over others regardless of their competence.

So, any company ever?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Hauling shopping carts for Costco wasn't a ton of fun, especially in summer heat or during thunderstorms. Although it definitely could have been worse, we were paid properly and management did provide water and sunscreen. I can't imagine doing it in real snow or desert heat, or for an indifferent employer. Plus if you have any sense they'll train you up to cashier.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
Making bricks is pretty terrible. Hot, stuffy atmosphere and back breaking labor. A great one my fathers good friend had as a young man was cleaning the outside of a train. Doesn't sound so bad but the train would come in completely covered in black soot every day, he would clean it, and the next day it would be back exactly how it was before being cleaned, repeat until soul is crushed.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
Being a field tech for a land surveyor is pretty awful.

You're out in all weathers, in all locations (usually construction). Its cold in the winter, and you're out in it. Plus the ground freezes and gets covered in poo poo, and half of the job is looking for stuff in the ground, either bars or cut crosses in the sidewalk. So in winter you've got to chip the frozen ground with a bar for hours on end looking for survey monuments. Its muddy in the spring. Its hot, humid, and unbelievably dusty in the summer. Autumn's actually not horrible.

The work is pretty monotonous: look through a total station at stuff over and over and over, as you try to get marks on the exact right spot to the millimeter, or take thousands of measurements (which, at least, you don't have to write down).

Plus like most of the time you're the first people on the site, so its just a field. No washroom, no trailer, nowhere to heat up your lunch. When you are working on a building its at the top, away from the windows. Worst day I ever had was on the 43rd floor of a building right next to lake ontario, in the middle of february. It was about -20 on the ground, -40 upstairs, plus incessant, gale-force wind. No windows. We'd put up sheets of plywood in hallways to avoid the instrument getting knocked over.

You'd ride a hoist to the floor (sometimes, sometimes they don't have them and you're carrying a 10 pound survey instrument on your shoulder up and down 40 flights of stairs), a hoist is just a metal box on the outside of the building. Its built to the same tolerances as an elevator, and is really really safe, but its still a bit unsettling, get out, and spend the next 8 hours there, because it would take you like 25 minutes to get back to someplace to eat. Sometimes there'd be a floor with a few windows and you can crouch in between them to eat your lunch cold. Its really weird, because your body takes all the blood to your stomach to digest the food and the rest of you gets unbelievably cold.

Oh yeah also you need to wear really thin gloves because you're making fine adjustments all day and typing data in to the instrument. You get these ridiculous cracks in your fingers because they're always going warm-cold-warm-cold as you put on and take off your gloves.

Sometimes you get to go through forests in summer and its like 95 degrees and humid and you're practically in loving Cambodia but you're just off the 401 and yonge. Plus you get to set bars, which is like, a challenge. You get to swing a 10 pound sledge to wack a 4' iron bar into the ground, which is pretty fun, but each one is about 12 pounds and has to be carried to where you're setting it. I once had to do a golf course, we were barring, and the closest place to park compared to where we were working was about a kilometre away. So you'd put 15 bars on a sled, strap it across your chest, and just loving walk. Sometimes you get snowshoes. That's actually kinda fun, but gets old fast.

Yeah so being an articling lawyer isn't so loving bad by the way.

olylifter fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 24, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

So, any company ever?

Not really. It may apply to individuals, but entire groups rarely benefit from blanket favoritism.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

enraged_camel posted:

Not really. It may apply to individuals, but entire groups rarely benefit from blanket favoritism.

Yeah they do, what are you even taking about. Although living in this world where companies make logical decisions does sound nice.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

B33rChiller posted:

Still not as bad as working in a call centre cold calling people to ask if a certain political candidate can count on their vote.

Annoyed person on the other end: "How dare you ask me who I'm voting for! We've got a secret ballot in this country."
Me: "Honestly I would answer the same way. I just really need the money to eat" :suicide:
I hate telemarketers, but will always answer political surveys. "Why, yes, I do believe my opinions are representative of the general populace; let me tell you about mincome..."

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Did it, it was better than listening to the audio clips. At least with humid manual labor you get to eat gigantic lunches without worrying about weight gain.

stickykeys
Sep 9, 2015
Worst job: Worked in a restaurant doing 16 hour shifts and on day 6 the boss told me it wasn't working out and I couldn't be paid since I hadn't done a full week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Hmm, yes, that doesn't sound flagrantly illegal at all.

• Locked thread