Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Kirbys really aren't that great though. Better than the $200 vacuums at Wal Mart, but not better than any comparable Serious Vacuum Brand like Miele or Riccar.

Sort of like how the stamped Cutco knives don't stand up to Serious Cutlery Brands in any meaningful way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Someone in one of my classes shared what her job is. It's some kind of social work thing, working with sex trafficking. She has spent entire days doing interviews with a series of underage prostitutes and the johns who got caught with them.

I bet a lot of those social work jobs are the most :smith: ever.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Subvisual Haze posted:

It's home health agencies. All the messy and awful parts of healthcare, with none of the upsides. Basically it's cleaning poo poo off the disabled and demented elderly who can take so little care of themselves that they have no business living anywhere outside a nursing home. Everyone in this country is terrified of being put "in a home" though, so they'd much rather waste away in squalor in their own home, enter HHA! The pay tends to be not great, the benefits are usually non-existent, and eventually you will permanently injure your back from lifting and moving around your clients at which point I guess you're put on permanent disability and get to pay for your own HHA? It's a self-perpetuating cycle of misery.

An insane family friend of mine works 3 Home Health Agency jobs. She has no benefits, but makes "too much" money to qualify for any sort of subsidy to buy healthcare insurance on the insurance marketplace. So she doesn't have any health insurance, and she's also injuring herself regularly on the job.

Yep. I know a nursing student who was puzzled to see how competitive hospital jobs were in nursing, when the media has been ringing alarm bells about a shortage in nurses.
Turns out the shortage is changing diapers in jobs like that, and the high status kind of jobs that nurses actually want are still super competitive.

• Locked thread