Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let us Play Dark Souls I & II! TOGETHER!

keep posted for other cool contests

What is this?

It's Dark Souls, the story is vague, the combat is mostly pattern recognition, and the difficulty is artificial (if you post on reddit.) I mean it's an action JRPG made to imitate the western style of ARPG, and the story is purposefully vague because the creator used to read American Comics that were poorly translated, and thought it was wonderful how he had to glean info. The game is the same way, where you only get dialogue that is random snippets of conversation from madmen, and sometimes a few items with lore backgrounds. The gameplay is weighty, most "attacks" can take a while to actually go through, and you're locked into it, so you have to be careful when you attack or dodge. You can beat this whole game at level 1 if you want too, because it's got a huge skill ceiling.

What's the Gimmick

I'll always be human, and always stream while I play, this is so if you're interested you can hop on and gently caress with me. Warning, I'm bad.

I'll be taking votes on decision, and there will almost always be random vote up somewhere.

I'm starting off as the deprived, so halfway through the game I can skill into a completely separate build.

You vote on who lives and who dies! More on that in the second post.
You vote on how I level up! Also More on that in the second post.
I'll always be human and stream when I play so you can invade me OR be available for summoning! http://www.hitbox.tv/Turtlicious

I want to talk over your gameplay

PM / Add me on steam http://steamcommunity.com/id/turtlishus , we'll set something up!

Cool but who are you?

I'm Turtlicious and my Co-commentator is my Cissy Life Partner, GlassLotus. She teases me constantly, and I mostly try to keep things on track.

And the style?

Funny, Informative, with a focus on secrets and Lore, there's 2 version, cut and uncut commentary, and I'll be editing cool things into the feed as well. Post Commentary as watching me die constantly will get boring but I'll add in the funny deaths, or a montage depending on how often I die. I've watched both Geop's and Zain's lp and I'm going to try and give something different, and show things off they might have missed, it'll be fun I promise.

Here is our first video, I'm open to criticism and it's my first VLP, so I'm expecting a ton of it!

Latest Uncut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AGUE00HDEM

Latest Cut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlcedOu9VeI

Thanks for watching!

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cut Playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pGTn4P9egU&list=PLVYm3oWye5wMDYyxUBhkAwarC5f1lhNz4&index=1

Uncut Playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7beqO_84JLA&list=PLVYm3oWye5wNEH8A1DbwYCwWPJSHb_rk5&index=1

Uncut Episodes

Episode 1

Episode 1.1 - You may want to skip this one, the quality is poo poo.

Episode 2

Episode 3

Episode 4

Cut Episodes

Episode 1

Episode 1.1You may want to skip this one, the quality is poo poo

Episode 2

Episode 3

Episode 4

Reserved for Polls!

Lautrec Live or Die!? http://goo.gl/forms/b3ycXG3LYJ
Oswald Live or Die?!!??!? http://goo.gl/forms/BwF43HGgXE
Andre the Blacksmith? http://goo.gl/forms/XSvyO4kzGS

Poll Results!

Build: Strength!

Petrus: Dead so so dead!

Crestfallen Warrior: Will be living.

Solaire: We've got to save him

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 12, 2015

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Ground floor of a truly epic adventure

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:
Voted PUT EVERYTHING INTO RESISTANCE, which is the true Dark Souls.

Also, you didn't immediately go for the Gravelord Sword and you're not starting as a class that can use the Zweihander quickly, so while I'm not mad I'm already a little disappointed in you.

E: Also, why can't we see the results of the polls? :colbert:

Fridurmus fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 24, 2015

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Fridurmus posted:

Voted PUT EVERYTHING INTO RESISTANCE, which is the true Dark Souls.
You drive a hard bargain, goon sir. Sold. Put everything into resistance.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fridurmus posted:

E: Also, why can't we see the results of the polls? :colbert:

because I don't know how, also a lot of that stuff will be happening next vid.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I voted strength so you can fix that lack of USGs

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I'll start playing Tuesday so you guys have a chance to get your twinks and what not in order, also does anyone have a name suggestion?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Turtlicious posted:

So I'll start playing Tuesday so you guys have a chance to get your twinks and what not in order, also does anyone have a name suggestion?

I usually call my first character in Souls games "Guy Diealot" even though I've over been over the "oooh it's hard, let's tell everyone how hard it is and pretend its difficulty is the only recognizable feature."-thing for a while.

It seems like a good name nonetheless.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Turtlicious posted:

HANK

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
please tell me when you're streaming next so that I may relieve you of your humanity

seriously, calling counter damage a riposte? that there are only two weapon moves available? are you fuckin with me?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Chad. :colbert:

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Not an emptyquote.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Polls end tonight friends, here's the results currently.

Petrus

Live: 3
Die : 17, with a vote to buy all his miracles, and another to become him.

Crestfallen

Live : 6
Die : 12

Build

Cleric: 3
Dex : 4
Hex : 3
Hybrid: 3 (With a request for a paladin style hybrid)
Pyromancy: 5
Resistance: 4 (lol I'm not doing this.)
Snowman: This isn't even the right game
Strength: 5 (with 2 requests for Fists)

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Polls end tonight friends, here's the results currently.

Build
Resistance: 4 (lol I'm not doing this.)

What a wuss.

E: Seriously though I am curious, if Resistance won, why wouldn't you do it?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Resistance effects Physical Defense, Fire resist, and Poison Resist. It's a trap stat mostly to screw with new players and is not viable in anyway.

Resistance doesn't scale with armor, it's additive, and you don't get much for high levels of resistance, those points are better spent making it so you can take a hit with your shield, increasing damage, or getting your rolls up so you have more I-frames.

You would actually be easier to kill if you had 50 resistance as opposed to 50 vitality, because on a point by point basis, the amount resistance negates, is less then the amount of health you'd gain via leveling up vitality / endurance not only that it soft caps pretty low, once at 15 cutting your total gain per point by half, and then again at 30, cutting it by another half per point.

Hell, the game doesn't even think Resistance is a real stat. Resistance isn't factored into initial Soul Level for starting classes. As in when you do the math of points per level per whatever, any points in resistance are bonus points because the game didn't count them at the start.

e: Also, I've never been able to do an SL1 run before.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 26, 2015

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Resistance effects Physical Defense, Fire resist, and Poison Resist. It's a trap stat mostly to screw with new players and is not viable in anyway.

Resistance doesn't scale with armor, it's additive, and you don't get much for high levels of resistance, those points are better spent making it so you can take a hit with your shield, increasing damage, or getting your rolls up so you have more I-frames.

You would actually be easier to kill if you had 50 resistance as opposed to 50 vitality, because on a point by point basis, the amount resistance negates, is less then the amount of health you'd gain via leveling up vitality / endurance not only that it soft caps pretty low, once at 15 cutting your total gain per point by half, and then again at 30, cutting it by another half per point.

Hell, the game doesn't even think Resistance is a real stat. Resistance isn't factored into initial Soul Level for starting classes. As in when you do the math of points per level per whatever, any points in resistance are bonus points because the game didn't count them at the start.

Yeah, and I know how the game works, but if you're gonna ask people to make decisions like that for you why wouldn't you do it

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I am upset at your opposition to the notion of democracy, after waving it like a dangling carrot in front of our lustful eyes and our hungry mouths. We deserve justice, no, reparation for your insolence, and I demand you honour the rules you yourself set forth!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol someone is refreshing the thing and voting resistance over and over.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

If you want invaders, you still have to give your Download Region. Or just set it to Luxembourg like everyone else.

Yes that still matters.

ThePsychoGamer
Dec 5, 2013
If the character you're going to be using for this run looks the same as then one used in the introduction video, then how about the name Archduke Beergut.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tallgeese posted:

If you want invaders, you still have to give your Download Region. Or just set it to Luxembourg like everyone else.

Yes that still matters.
Let's do Luxembourg or West Africa (if I want to be invaded by only goons I guess?) I'll have to think that one out.

ThePsychoGamer posted:

If the character you're going to be using for this run looks the same as then one used in the introduction video, then how about the name Archduke Beergut.

I like this name! Oh and poll results!

Cleric: 3
Dex: 4
Hex: 3
Hybrid: 3 (+1 for a Paladin Vote)
Pyromancy: 5
Strength: 6 (+1 for a Caestus Vote)

also someone voted for resistance once every 7 seconds for 2 minutes straight, lol. I went ahead and took all the votes that happened with-in 10 seconds from each other and counted them as one, which means 4 votes for resistance, still I was never going to do that I'm not good enough.

Looks like Strength wins! Too bad I love showing off the Great Scythe, but Zwei, Caestus, and Claymore has it. I'll be showing off a ton of weapons as long as they scale with strength! (I will also be showing off Pyromancy that way I'm making the hybrid and 5 pyromancers happy!)

As for Petrus and the Tutorial Guy, well you'll find out soon enough.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's not a region lock, it's more a region priority.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alright Guys, I'm streaming WOot! http://www.hitbox.tv/Turtlicious

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 27, 2015

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Getting the first kill off on the lper is a glorious sign for this. It's gonna be fun keeping up on this lp.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And that's it for streaming! I died about 13 times, and only managed to kill 1 invader.

e: Yeah no, it's funnier that way, I was expecting to be invaded a lot more. The humanity is the only thing I'm editting in tho, and I'm not using it to heal.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 27, 2015

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Sen may have been my doing... I don't feel guilty knowing how much humanity you have now though.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

How far did you get? I ended up going to bed at 10pst. Man I've been playing a ton of souls recently.

E: Also if this ends up getting to Dark Souls 2 it's going to be much more annoying to invade and gank you.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 27, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got to Capra Demon I won't say anymore because I've got like a metric ton of video to leaf through, cut up, and talk over, again steamchat / pm me if you want to be in on a vid!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Episode 2 up!

New Poll about A mysterious man of the sun...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Episode 2 up!

New Poll about A mysterious man of the sun...

Kill him. I don't know what the poll says, but you should totally kill the guy of the sun. Sounds like a whackjob of a guy

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

double nine posted:

Kill him. I don't know what the poll says, but you should totally kill the guy of the sun. Sounds like a whackjob of a guy

Not an empty quote.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Update and a new poll!

Also, Solaire lost the right to live 11:12

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

:spergin: The big guy in black armor isn't Black Iron Tarkus, it's a Berenike Knight. They have similar but different armor and the only possibility where you fight Tarkus is if you invade someone who has summoned Tark :spergin: I mean god how don't you know every minute detail of this massive game by heart I don't even know ;) it's literally the least important thing to know about dark souls though

double nine fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 31, 2015

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Honestly looking back maces aren't that bad of a weapon. It's the fact that it's a one handed weapon that doesn't start out with great damage at all. PVP gets much better when you get actual damage improvements like weapon upgrades or strength, which the mace has a B in str scaling by the way.

Edit: Also you're wrong about the whole it being at level 20 faith making it so strong. It's a strong ability due to the fact that so little things in the game resist lightning damage compared to magic or fore.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 31, 2015

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

I don't actually hear any in-game audio in the uncut version.

Most weapons, like the mace, are serviceable, just most are awful at +0.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Koobes posted:

ugggggh, I think it rendered with the audio muted. lame. I'll have to re-render / upload

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
im gonna beat you up in the videogame, OP

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Koobes posted:

Yeah, it's what makes early gankers really unsided besides the whole having maxed out weapons. Even if you're good you're barely going to be dealing damage to them.

Edit: Also I would like to apologize for constantly standing in Turtle's way while being summoned by him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
New Video today as well!

(Sidenote: If the lovely quality of the first video turned you off to the LP, I re-did it!)

• Locked thread