Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm pretty sure every picture of kastein that exists shows him swapping a rear end, destroying a jeep, or fixing his house.

Plus lots of videos of him swearing and throwing tools everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SouthsideSaint posted:

Its always nice to see other people who had the ford power steering whine as a part of there childhood. My dad had a 95 f-150 and a 02 ranger and both whined the same. The F-150 my dad babied and replaced anything that went wrong. And no matter what that power steering pump just had to sing its heart out. He got the ranger and once it started it never stopped. By then he just gave up on trying to fix the noise and drove that ranger into the ground.

My first vehicle was a 1980 F-150, and my stepdad had a 92 F-150 at the same time. Both whined like mad. He also once owned a carpet cleaning company, and every Ford van in their fleet (4 Fords, 3 Chevys when he sold the company, if I remember right) whined, ranging from the rusted out 1977 that only got rolled out when another van was broken, to the (at the time) one year old 1992. The power steering never gave any issues on any of the mentioned Fords, just got loud.

He has an 01 F-150 now, and it's starting to whine. About drat time. Never change, Ford.

ExecuDork posted:

Also, I bought a 4x4 97 Ranger about 6 weeks ago - which is why I'm following this thread - and I'm wondering if I should be dreading that sound in anticipation.

It's not if it'll make that sound... it's when. Something with Ford power steering pumps just makes them whine like crazy. They've changed them enough in the past decade that it's rare to hear anything newer than about 02 or 03 whining, but it's a very distinct sound that you associate with Ford.

Even if it's whining away, the pump will be one of the last things you have to replace on it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Noise Complaint posted:

Looking at Bronco graveyard shows different lengths for Broncos with the C6, E4OD, AOD, M5OD, and the 4 speed. Does anyone know if these are close enough to be swapped in?

An 88 351 will have a C6, unless some chucklefuck swapped an AOD into it. The AOD is a 4 speed automatic though, so you'd probably have noticed that. It's impossible to swap the E4OD in without the 1990+ ECU/TCM.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Noise Complaint posted:

I know it's a C6, STR. I've driven it to tims place on the highway. :-P
I'm ordering a new shaft. Screw it. And no, that's not innuendo.

But I have a perfectly good shaft ri... oh.

Seriously though, wasn't sure if you didn't know what trans was in it or not. I honestly thought it'd be an AOD until I looked it up, but apparently they never put one behind the 351 (in trucks, anyway?). The E4OD did wind up behind them, but was basically an AOD with wires.

SFH1989 posted:

I have an '89 F-150 and I honestly couldn't tell you for sure if it has the PS whine, I've been around enough Fords I don't even notice it.

I can hear it whining from here. :colbert:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Noise Complaint posted:

ACEofsnett and I were looking at the truck last night and discovered substantial coolant leaks as well as oil leaking out of pretty much every major seal, so it looks like I'm starting an engine swap project this weekend. Sigh.

Any chance it's leaking coolant from the thermostat housing area? Or the intake in general?

The 4.6 and 5.4 both have plastic intake manifolds, and they tend to crack. Causes a lean condition (tripping the CEL), eventually a misfire or two, and also causes a coolant leak. Dorman makes a much beefier replacement.

• Locked thread