Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Why is The Martian down $8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
They found water on Mars and now the movie's ruined.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Crossed the $100m in fake money mark today! Couldn't have done it without this group making me gain interest in the game again.

Also couldn't have done it without shorting every single movie coming out this weekend. I made a million off Paranormal when it went from $22 to $29 and now I get to make even more as it goes from $29 to $22!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

gj crindy

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

CRINDY posted:

Crossed the $100m in fake money mark today! Couldn't have done it without this group making me gain interest in the game again.

Also couldn't have done it without shorting every single movie coming out this weekend. I made a million off Paranormal when it went from $22 to $29 and now I get to make even more as it goes from $29 to $22!

Congrats on joining the 9 digit club! What was your net worth when you started playing in this league?

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Congrats on joining the 9 digit club! What was your net worth when you started playing in this league?

Somewhere in the 60s or low 70s? I'd been a member since the late 00s but never checked more than once a month before now.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

woke up 18 million cash positive. Martian delisted :)

sunk it all in JB24 and some more LEGO2, that thing is way undervalued right now at $160

currently up $12 million on STAR7 and almost $6 million on NCRD2.

Almost time to pay the monthly stipend to Fisty...

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Those are some seriously sick gains. How long were you holding onto The Martian?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

It's hard to tell because i have the memory of a swiss cheese but i think i maxed it right after I heard Ridley Scott was directing. I can only see transactions a month back but I know I held that one a while.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Exciting news, everyone! Miyamoto Musashi is now on top in league gains. I'm not a shoe-in to win this month!

I'm actually doing pretty poorly because it's a slow month for StarBonds. October was really disappointing at the box office, so all the movies and stars delisting now are giving me tiny gains every week.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Prometheus Deux got a release date

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

...aand Musashi takes November. I just reset the league; sorry, I don't think the October prize went out. Both will go out in the next week, here

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Musashi, what's your secret man?

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

Musashi, what's your secret man?

A few things.

1. Load up on lots of movie funds. They're not too expensive and almost guaranteed to grow over time. When you have a bunch of them, it adds up.

2. Blockbuster warrants seem almost guaranteed to get you money for a cheap investment. I don't think I've lost money on one yet.

3. Be on the lookout for good IPOs. I made a couple million off Ant-Man 2 a couple weeks ago when it started out at H$80 and jumped to almost H$120....given that the original made $180,000,000, you know the sequel is going to be comparable. Just made a good profit off Gigantic a day or so ago. Given that it's a Disney retelling of a fairy tale and directed by the guy that did Tangled...well, Tangled did pretty well, I recall. So $H60 seemed low and sure enough, it's up to over $H70 right now.

Efexeye, do you need a mailing address from me?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Aye, PM it please.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Miyamoto Musashi posted:

A few things.

1. Load up on lots of movie funds. They're not too expensive and almost guaranteed to grow over time. When you have a bunch of them, it adds up.

2. Blockbuster warrants seem almost guaranteed to get you money for a cheap investment. I don't think I've lost money on one yet.

3. Be on the lookout for good IPOs. I made a couple million off Ant-Man 2 a couple weeks ago when it started out at H$80 and jumped to almost H$120....given that the original made $180,000,000, you know the sequel is going to be comparable. Just made a good profit off Gigantic a day or so ago. Given that it's a Disney retelling of a fairy tale and directed by the guy that did Tangled...well, Tangled did pretty well, I recall. So $H60 seemed low and sure enough, it's up to over $H70 right now.

Efexeye, do you need a mailing address from me?

Cool, thanks. I haven't looked into movie funds but I will now. I agree that BWs are great and everyone should buy max shares for each one on the day they debut.

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

Cool, thanks. I haven't looked into movie funds but I will now. I agree that BWs are great and everyone should buy max shares for each one on the day they debut.

Glad I can help out a bit. By the way, the Animation Fund is debuting today. Seems like a good place to park $H200,000.

Next thing I've really got to figure out is how to profit off StarBonds. I know quite a lot can be made off those, but figuring out how they adjust can be a bit tricky.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's at least one website out there dedicated to making StarBond picking really easy. It's fairly easy to find, so...

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I still think Star Wars is way undervalued at $494 a share. It's going to go up at least another hundred, I think

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

Just joined your league, wish I had seen this before.

I'm not a super active player, I generally check the site once a day and reinvest any profit. I agree with the fellow above who posted about funds, I always get a new fund shortly after its debut, I've made lots of fake money off of funds.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Gotta say, randomly picking up The Disaster Artist a few weeks ago when it cost $2 because I like The Room was truly a good idea.

1,307 percent gain and counting.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
the NominOptions are live for Picture, Screenplay(s), and Director. They are still unadjusted/all at $5.00 (nominees get like $9-13 or something, ones that don't get $0), I don't know how much longer till they start adjusting for activity or whatever, but a lot of them are free money if you just pay a little attention to the Oscar buzz

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

stunt casting Idris Elba as Roland and a January release date should tank The Dark Tower pretty effectively before it ever gets off the ground

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Pet Rock Band posted:

the NominOptions are live for Picture, Screenplay(s), and Director. They are still unadjusted/all at $5.00 (nominees get like $9-13 or something, ones that don't get $0), I don't know how much longer till they start adjusting for activity or whatever, but a lot of them are free money if you just pay a little attention to the Oscar buzz

yeah I grabbed the two or three guaranteed nominations for each category, it's a free $100k for every one you get right (for instance, steve jobs has no shot at best picture but, based off current standards, will see nominations for fassbender and sorkin)

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Betting REAL big on Star Wars this weekend. Hope all the predictions for the film breaking records are true.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I haven't been been much attention to HSX for the pat few months but I saw this recently about disney's IRL stock. http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/12/star-wars-box-office-records/421377/?utm_source=SFFB

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

October and November prizes went out today; sorry for the delay but lots of clients like to forget to pay in december

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
No worries! That you're giving out prizes for a free, fun thing to do is icing on the cake, really.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

No worries! That you're giving out prizes for a free, fun thing to do is icing on the cake, really.

it helped rekindle my interest in the game, so it's all good. however, i wish there were a fairer way to calculate a winner- % gain is a lot easier to get at the lower end of the scale. anyone know of a weighted formula that'd make it more realistic for someone with a large portfolio to be competitive? I made like 32 mil on star wars and i'm still in 4th, haha

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I finally understand what you mean when you say the more money you have, the harder it is to make money. I've gained ~15 million net worth this month, and the limitations of my hugely profitable StarBond strategy are starting to become apparent. In order to maintain the same percentage of value within my portfolio, I would have had to start buying up bonds that were projected to do under 1.5% daily ROI, and that's after grabbing everything that's more highly valued until next August.

So instead I rebought 20,000 shares of Star Wars in the hopes that there's a little more gains to be had before its value levels off for good.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
My portfolio hit $50 million today :toot:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Congratulations, that was quick!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i am up 44 million on star wars :tipshat:

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
AwardOptions are now trading, in case anyone wants to bet big on Oscar winners.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

The Cellar aka Valencia aka 10 Cloverfield Lane is at 87 percent growth today.

(Really glad I was up late enough to see everyone flip a poo poo over the trailer and pick it up. :smug:)

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

CRINDY posted:

The Cellar aka Valencia aka 10 Cloverfield Lane is at 87 percent growth today.

(Really glad I was up late enough to see everyone flip a poo poo over the trailer and pick it up. :smug:)

:hfive:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

:tipshat:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Sitting here feeling pretty smug for having bought in on Deadpool at an average of H$115 :c00lbert:

Also sitting here feeling like a dumbass for only having bought like 4000 shares in it. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

TetsuoTW posted:

Sitting here feeling pretty smug for having bought in on Deadpool at an average of H$115 :c00lbert:

Also sitting here feeling like a dumbass for only having bought like 4000 shares in it. :smith:

Oh so that's your secret.

• Locked thread