Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
hello YOSPOS

I'd like to welcome you to the first inaugural yospos pittsburgh thread 2015. this is the place to discuss pittsburgh (the city in pennisylvania) and the various issues and concerns surrouding the city.

before we begin here are some facts about Pittsburgh:

-Pittsburgh is known as the "Steel City" due to it's steel manufacturing in the 1800s. it hasn't produced any steel since before world war 1, but people still cling to the history.
-As noted YOSPOS Super Poster Tori CMOS has called it, Pittsburgh is also known as the "Paris of the Appalachians" because it is the only inhabited area with partial electricification in the entire Ohio Valley. the glow of it's street lights can be seen all the way to Louisville on a dark night.
-Mr. Fred Rogers (of Mr Rogers Neighborhood) is from the Pburgh. That's right, the formal vietnam era black ops soldier is born and raised in the p-town. we all love him.
-Primatni bros Sausage Company makes sausages you can find in 7-11s world wide and is quite a good specimen of american cured meats. great on any sando.
-The Robot Hall of Fame is located in Pittsburgh and in 2012 WALL-E became an inductee. EVE must have been so proud.
-it has a population in 2014 of 305,842, making it half the size of Plano, TX.

Here are hte major issues surrounding Pittsburgh:

Sports. - The pittsburgh sports teams are modestly successful.

the penguins (the NHL hockey team)

have usually lost in the semi or quarter finals, not bad for a team from the deep south! their lead scorerman was out for over 3 years due to massive career ending brain injuries, and his shattered husk is still brought out for each game as sort of a sick mascot. even though he has no higher brain function, he is the highest scorer on the penguins, and that is enough to bring them to the semifinals every year. Go 'guins!

the pirates (mlb) are a baseball team who is sometimes okay. they play in 3 rivers stadium which is the only underwater stadium in the MLB and quite an impressive engineering achievement.

the steeler (NFL) are lead by 3-time convicted rapist Tom Roethlisberger, who has raped more women in the off-season than has super bowl rings (3-1). the steelers are usually a contender in the post-season.
Dan Marino, noted Miami Dolphines superstar is from pittsburgh. to this day, pittsburgh residents curse his name.

Industry - Pittsburgh was made famous by the Robocop movie for having it's dilapidated abandond downtown Steel Mill feature in the Robocop movie.

this was considered the height of pittsburgh industry and has only gone downhill in the last 30 years.

other major industries in the "p-town" as the locals call it are salvage followed by figs and then rolling rock beer.

The Civil War:

Pennsylvania (the state Pittsburgh is located in, but just barely) was a major battleground in the War of Northern Aggression. Gettysburg, a suburb of Pittsburgh, was the location of the High Water Mark of the confederacy, when Robert E. Lee slew most of the north's soldiers and then gracefully retreated to allow them to collect their dead. Widely considered a tactical mistake, in some circles though of as the turning point in the war, it shows how the South "won" the war of northern aggression even though it was militarily defeated. to this day the pittsburgh arsenal flies the confederate flag, honoring it's almost-conqueror.

Furries:

the p-burgh is home to anthrocon, the world'slargest furry convention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T291jwBFLvA

Education:

In the heart of downtown Pittsburrg lies Penn State Universty, noted haven for pedophiles Joe Paterno and Jerry Sandusky. pittsburghians revere the names of these 2 sports legends and view the trial and conviction of Pittsburgh's 2 Greatest Hometown heroes as both an affront to justice and to God's Vision for Pittsburgh. 1000 years of Big 10 supremancy was promised to them in a vision to Joe Paterno and now they have been forsaken b y man.

so these are the facts for pittsburgh, what do you goons think?
tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
gas and ban

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

this thread is the pits

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

everything i know about pittsburgh i learned from the fallout 3 dlc "the pitt"

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
mods plz sticky for educational purposes

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ground floor

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
nice call out thread

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i went to plano last year and they introduced me to some of their small town hobbies like shooting guns and eating barbecue (not mcribs).

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
this is weak even as an ironic troll and smythe should probably ban you for such a stupid call out

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

born on a buy you posted:

this is weak even as an ironic troll and smythe should probably ban you for such a stupid call out

lol did ur butler type this out for you?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
the t is good pittsberg has lots of stairs especially in their houses go hockey football baseball chicken wings

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
if someone wants to type out some stuff on the food, i'll be happy to add it to the OP

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

hello YOSPOS

I'd like to welcome you to the first inaugural yospos pittsburgh thread 2015. this is the place to discuss pittsburgh (the city in pennisylvania) and the various issues and concerns surrouding the city.

before we begin here are some facts about Pittsburgh:

-Pittsburgh is known as the "Steel City" due to it's steel manufacturing in the 1800s. it hasn't produced any steel since before world war 1, but people still cling to the history.
-As noted YOSPOS Super Poster Tori CMOS has called it, Pittsburgh is also known as the "Paris of the Appalachians" because it is the only inhabited area with partial electricification in the entire Ohio Valley. the glow of it's street lights can be seen all the way to Louisville on a dark night.
-Mr. Fred Rogers (of Mr Rogers Neighborhood) is from the Pburgh. That's right, the formal vietnam era black ops soldier is born and raised in the p-town. we all love him.
-Primatni bros Sausage Company makes sausages you can find in 7-11s world wide and is quite a good specimen of american cured meats. great on any sando.
-The Robot Hall of Fame is located in Pittsburgh and in 2012 WALL-E became an inductee. EVE must have been so proud.

Sports. - The pittsburgh sports teams are modestly successful.

the penguins (the NHL hockey team)

have usually lost in the semi or quarter finals, not bad for a team from the deep south! their lead scorerman was out for over 3 years due to massive career ending brain injuries, and his shattered husk is still brought out for each game as sort of a sick mascot. even though he has no higher brain function, he is the highest scorer on the penguins, and that is enough to bring them to the semifinals every year. Go 'guins!

the pirates (mlb) are a baseball team who is sometimes okay. they play in 3 rivers stadium which is the only underwater stadium in the MLB and quite an impressive engineering achievement.

the steeler (NFL) are lead by 3-time convicted rapist Tom Roethlisberger, who has raped more women in the off-season than has super bowl rings (3-1). the steelers are usually a contender in the post-season.
Dan Marino, noted Miami Dolphines superstar is from pittsburgh. to this day, pittsburgh residents curse his name.

Industry - Pittsburgh was made famous by the Robocop movie for having it's dilapidated abandond downtown Steel Mill feature in the Robocop movie.

this was considered the height of pittsburgh industry and has only gone downhill in the last 30 years.

other major industries in the "p-town" as the locals call it are salvage followed by figs and then rolling rock beer.

The Civil War:

Pennsylvania (the state Pittsburgh is located in, but just barely) was a major battleground in the War of Northern Aggression. Gettysburg, a suburb of Pittsburgh, was the location of the High Water Mark of the confederacy, when Robert E. Lee slew most of the north's soldiers and then gracefully retreated to allow them to collect their dead. Widely considered a tactical mistake, in some circles though of as the turning point in the war, it shows how the South "won" the war of northern aggression even though it was militarily defeated. to this day the pittsburgh arsenal flies the confederate flag, honoring it's almost-conqueror.

Furries:

the p-burgh is home to anthrocon, the world'slargest furry convention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T291jwBFLvA

Education:

In the heart of downtown Pittsburrg lies Penn State Universty, noted haven for pedophiles Joe Paterno and Jerry Sandusky. pittsburghians revere the names of these 2 sports legends and view the trial and conviction of Pittsburgh's 2 Greatest Hometown heroes as both an affront to justice and to God's Vision for Pittsburgh. 1000 years of Big 10 supremancy was promised to them in a vision to Joe Paterno and now they have been forsaken b y man.

so these are the facts for pittsburgh, what do you goons think?
tia

Goldmine

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

mods plz sticky for educational purposes

Done

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Tori awakens at 5:30 EST every day, and does a thorough grooming regimen. then, he will come into this thread. I am eager for him to come here. I will stick this for a day or so. BLess.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
u didnt mention myron cope, op

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Smythe posted:

Goldmine

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so it's smaller than the population of the city I live in..... Jesus

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
I didn't write anything about the P-Towns public transpo because Tori is gonna roll in here and lay down some knowledge on us fools.

I'll deffo add that to the Op.

I want to hear about stairs and the T as well as any ferry traffic on the "Pennsylvania Dutch Riviera" as they call it.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

I've seen its always sunny in philadelphia. is that in puttsburgh?

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
baltimore is basically like pittsburgh only w/ the ocean and john waters

owned, pittsburgh

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
shitsburgh penisylvania :xd:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Smythe posted:

Tori awakens at 5:30 EST every day, and does a thorough grooming regimen. then, he will come into this thread. I am eager for him to come here. I will stick this for a day or so. BLess.
:suspense:

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
voted 1, I hate that place

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Groundfloor

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
pittsburgh is terrible

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
pittsburgh is so small no one cares about it

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
pitssbourgh blows and so does tori

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i still want to pronounce edinburgh so that it rhymes with pittsburgh

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

ground floor just in case

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImkQViL8CLY

except pittsburgh

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Pittsburgh wishes that it was as clean as Detroit and also wishes that it had hipsters gentrifying the poo poo out of it too

Hipsters don't even want to ironically live there that's how bad it sucks

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Elder Postsman posted:

everything i know about pittsburgh i learned from the fallout 3 dlc "the pitt"

its extremely faithful to the real city.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

its extremely faithful to the real city.

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Beast of Bourbon posted:

if someone wants to type out some stuff on the food, i'll be happy to add it to the OP

the official food of pitssburg is the pittsburg cheese steak, named for the city's famous cheese made from the milk of cows grazing in former industrial parks.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Cat Face Joe posted:

ground floor just in case

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
did you know that the fallout 3 expansion "the pitt" is set in a version of pittsburgh that was modernized, improved, and cleaned up during the nuclear holocaust

e: there's only a handful of deformed mutants in it vs. pittsburgh today

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
its actually badassburgh op

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

its........... a pizzburg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

now that I'm awake and refreshed, let's look at some great moments in penguins history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHGMqXQEfw4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcvzqBdCqH0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tit_fbYnmLc

• Locked thread