Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

NikkolasKing posted:

So I have a bad habit of "dabbling" shall we call it. I'll find a topic I'm interested in, read a bit about it, then something new and shiny will show up and I go off to examine that instead. The result is I know a little about a lot of things but it all adds up to not much of anything. However one of the topics I've never really delved into whatsoever is philosophy. Topics I have read books about though are Religion, Politics and Psychology and what I'm curious about is if there's an overlap?

I think it's fairly well accepted that some theologians qualify also as philosophers. Say, Thomas Aquinas maybe. Meanwhile "political theorists" like Jean-Jacques Rousseau or Edmund Burke wrote quite a bit about human nature and its relation to society. Finally, for psychologists, you mainly need the psychoanalyst branch of thought and I know many do not hold that in high regard. However, not all schools of philosophy are probably held in completely high regard either so I don't see why they should be shut out just because they're unpopular. Your Freud's, Jung's and Lacan's were all attempting to understand the human condition too and it certainly wasn't in a very "scientific way." Although Freud at least I think tried for that to some extent.

So my question. Does philosophy encompass all these things? Is Freud or Burke a philosopher in the same way that Heidegger or Plato were? And again it has nothing to do with being right or profound - just that they can be called philosopher.

I am not sure you chose the right forum for this discussion. SAL has a Philosophy megathread, and they have just recently taken up this subject, so you might want to start there. It's probably going to lead to a higher rate of useful responses if you do have more questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread