Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide

ijii posted:

What happened to the horse riding act in the auditions? That was the only "extreme" outdoor audition that was entertaining. I was blown away how skilled those kids were at doing tricks on the horses.

It seems like a whole bunch of acts that got put through somehow vanished between the auditions and the judge cuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Aphrodite posted:

And the other two options weren't very good.

They weren't great, but in the end they were literally beat by lovely singers that just made a gimmic of wiggling what ammounts to a sock on their hand to set themselves apart. Oh well, having a gimmick works for Piff, I guess it's working for Howie Smith and Christian Anderson.

Either way, I think in the end there's only room for one stupid puppet act in the finals, and Paul Zerdin's got that in the bag.

Time Trial posted:

It seems like a whole bunch of acts that got put through somehow vanished between the auditions and the judge cuts.

At least one was acknowledged, because they gave the quinceañera singer girl a callback because she talked about that in her bio package. I don't even remember her name, if that tells you much about how good she was. :|

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There are always acts that can't make it.

That one in particular is probably pretty difficult to travel with.

That drat Satyr posted:

They weren't great, but in the end they were literally beat by lovely singers that just made a gimmic of wiggling what ammounts to a sock on their hand to set themselves apart. Oh well, having a gimmick works for Piff, I guess it's working for Howie Smith and Christian Anderson.

Well one of the other groups were singers who were just as bad, and I think everyone is sick of video board acts now since the best one already won the first time.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
So DADitude just became the first act to get buzzed out on the live shows. I wish I had a dad joke for the occasion, but the dads WERE the joke.

EDIT: and unfortunately, Silvia Silvia (crossbow mom) had a scheduling conflict and couldnt make it. All that drama over the family competing for nothing.

Singer and comedian didnt do much for me. And a bluegrass act coming.

Oz and Stevie were nice though. I am surprised Howard criticized the sacred cow though.

And finally with Freelusion: I wanted to like it, but I feel like the spot where the third guy was supposed to be was obvious, and it suffered by not having him there. I hope they fix that for next time.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 26, 2015

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

somekindofguy posted:

And finally with Freelusion: I wanted to like it, but I feel like the spot where the third guy was supposed to be was obvious, and it suffered by not having him there. I hope they fix that for next time.
Yeah, what was the reason he wasn't there? I was watching kinda half eyed on vidya game and the show. The act was still quite impressive... not Sino-A impressive but up there.

Oz was pretty cool but that transaction code on the receipt had to be done via a slight of hand or prop switch. His act should be on Penn & Teller's Fool Us so we shed a little more light on how the trick is done without a full on reveal.

The Regurgitator continues to impress and he still hasn't done his best trick yet.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Voting for the Regurgitator and I hope he wins the whole show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Robnoxious posted:

Yeah, what was the reason he wasn't there? I was watching kinda half eyed on vidya game and the show. The act was still quite impressive... not Sino-A impressive but up there.

He got hurt after their first audition I think.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

They briefly mentioned it in the package for Freelusion that the third guy was supposed to be using a flying harness during the act, but just couldn't get the hang of it in time for the show, so they just rolled with the two that we saw instead of trying to make a new routine.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Robnoxious posted:

The Regurgitator continues to impress and he still hasn't done his best trick yet.

Eh I don't know if it was just the camera getting lucky or him getting a little sloppy but if anyone didn't see exactly how he did that trick I'd be surprised. There was one really unfortunate shot where it was all right in front of you.

It bummed me out because with everything he does, if you see his setup, then it just comes down to the same gimmick over and over again (how and where he hides all that poo poo). The rest of it is just flair.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'm guessing they just quietly bumped the girl who shouts lyrics from Frozen songs while sometimes taking a break to do the two tapdancing steps she knows between auditions and the live shows, which is too bad. I was really looking forward to voting against her.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Jake Armitage posted:

Eh I don't know if it was just the camera getting lucky or him getting a little sloppy but if anyone didn't see exactly how he did that trick I'd be surprised. There was one really unfortunate shot where it was all right in front of you.

It bummed me out because with everything he does, if you see his setup, then it just comes down to the same gimmick over and over again (how and where he hides all that poo poo). The rest of it is just flair.

When? I didn't see it.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

You can look it up but it doesn't make it any less impressive. Magic is not actual magic and can be amazing to watch even when you know the trick.

There are still a lot of bad acts making it through. I didn't think the blind kid would make it this week. It's inspiring, but not really entertaining.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Victorkm posted:

When? I didn't see it.

There are actually two really tragic angles. First when he takes the ring, the camera cuts to his left side, showing his hand holding the mic palm out. Second is when the camera faces him straight as he puts the ring in his mouth, he leaves his mouth far too open. So much so that a stage light reflects off what's going on and really ruins the whole thing.

edit: removed. why ruin it for anyone :)

I think it does make it far less impressive in this case, because the trick he's doing doesn't require much skill -- except for the hiding it all in his mouth or deformity or whatever the hell he's doing there, of course. In my opinion the beauty of what he does is that the average viewer won't really view him as a magician. They seem him as some oddball weirdo who can do magical things with his stomach. So if the trick is done sloppy, to the extent that the audience realizes its a trick, then he just becomes a birthday party magician.

Jake Armitage fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 27, 2015

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Yeesh that was a pretty bad show. The only act I liked was Freelusion or however they're spelled and even that seemed a bit subpar. During the live results episode I was so ecstatic when Steve the Regurgitator and Oz the stupid mentalist were called up because I was almost certain that Steve was going through and Oz going home. I think even Oz thought the same thing being called right after Steve, because the look on his face was "Oh poo poo." Stupid me fell for the swerve. I'm getting really sick of these magic/mentalist/illusion acts. Stevie was okay, but not that great, I prefer Piff because he's funnier.

Also Howie hosed up big twice, once in the live show episode, and then in the live results. First one he commented how Stevie made bulimia entertaining, then he called Benjamin the blind dancer, Jonathon.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ijii posted:

Yeesh that was a pretty bad show. The only act I liked was Freelusion or however they're spelled and even that seemed a bit subpar. During the live results episode I was so ecstatic when Steve the Regurgitator and Oz the stupid mentalist were called up because I was almost certain that Steve was going through and Oz going home. I think even Oz thought the same thing being called right after Steve, because the look on his face was "Oh poo poo." Stupid me fell for the swerve. I'm getting really sick of these magic/mentalist/illusion acts. Stevie was okay, but not that great, I prefer Piff because he's funnier.

Also Howie hosed up big twice, once in the live show episode, and then in the live results. First one he commented how Stevie made bulimia entertaining, then he called Benjamin the blind dancer, Jonathon.

His last name is Jonattan, not really a big gently caress up there. The bullimia thing was super hosed though, Howie was acting way more over-the-top than normal all night like he hosed up his meds/forgot to take them. I was honestly not surprised to see him finally take it a few steps too far. Was surprised that he realized it and tried to apologize within the same show though.

ijii posted:

I'm getting really sick of these magic/mentalist/illusion acts

I'm pretty sure David Blaine & John Edwards being popular at the same time permanently put me off from self-serious magic acts that pretend like they really have mystical abilities. Regurgitator only gets a pass because he's so weird and funny.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I made sure to cast at least three votes for every act tonight, even the ones I didn't like, just to make the 0 for Ira count more. Death to that loving puppet.

SIRO-A were the only really amazing act, I thought, although Opera Girl was really good. Oz's trick with Howard was really loving obvious (of course he was being signalled, he just had a buzzer strapped to his arm or leg) and Derek did one minor "tear up a card and then reveal it whole again" trick gussied up with I'M A DAD bullshit.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

SIRO-A were the only really amazing act
It's really just a formality at this point... give 'em the check.

quote:

Oz's trick with Howard was really loving obvious (of course he was being signalled, he just had a buzzer strapped to his arm or leg)
Oh for sure but writing down the dirty martini before Mel B said it could have gone pear shaped unless she was maybe steered that direction or perhaps Oz knows that's her goto booze. That wouldn't be very hard to research. But Oz is not exactly amazing in any stretch of the imagination.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
One of the puppet dudes is from my hometown and it makes me sad that you all hate him and that Howard buzzed him tonight. :smith:

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

skaboomizzy posted:

One of the puppet dudes is from my hometown and it makes me sad that you all hate him and that Howard buzzed him tonight. :smith:
I don't hate Ira like other goons... it's just that much like The Stutterer, it's just an average act from where I sit.

Ira will get a special somewhere... he'll be fine.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
The one I know (the voice of the mom) was on the Broadway production of Avenue Q, I'm sure he won't be hurting for work.

Also someone from my HS co-wrote a Night of the Living Dead musical. So there's that.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Early on I had high hopes for Ira, only because I've been wanting a good puppet ensemble act for years. I was hoping it would grow into something similar to the Dracula musical from Forgetting Sarah Marshall, but instead it's way too much of a cruise ship act.

Everything else, with the exception of Siro-A, has been pretty average this year.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

I made sure to cast at least three votes for every act tonight, even the ones I didn't like, just to make the 0 for Ira count more. Death to that loving puppet.

SIRO-A were the only really amazing act, I thought, although Opera Girl was really good.

I thought the guys that did Change Gon Come were pretty fantastic too. Sure, a lot of that is because they did a really good song, but they did it really frikkin' well. SIRO-A's production, meanwhile, didn't get recorded very well and you could see guys running around holding poles and poo poo, which takes a lot away from the illusion. Quite probably that was the AGT production crew's fault, and it was an amazing act to see live, but it still made it less impressive to watch on the couch.

Even so SIRO-A would be the only act that I'd pay to see.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
That shadow puppet guy needs to tryout for next year's AGT show, despite already having a gig that's probably the zenith of shadow puppetry.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
My goondolences to skaboomizzy's friend.

On the other hand, YAY MAGIC :neckbeard:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Burn. This. Season. DOWN.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
What the actual hell man. Is this real?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Even the stuttering comedian couldn't believe he got through

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Ehud posted:

Even the stuttering comedian couldn't believe he got through

his shock was great, it was his funniest performance yet

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
drew lyn ch beat siro-A?

LMAOOO what a fuc king joke this competition is this year.

mountain faith bands version of shut up and dance was one of my favorite parts all season. surprise america got it wrong.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

This.

I Had to DVR this week but got caught up. What the gently caress America?

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

CapnAndy posted:

The thing I still can't wrap my mind around is that our 3 'dunkin save' singers all apparently got more votes than SIRO A

I just threw up my hands when stutter-kid went through and I think I'm going to go back to dedicating my tues/wed night entertainment time to Diablo 3 or something because I really don't care who wins now.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Wow, I'm amazed Siro-A didn't get through, but I agree that it wasn't filmed very well and the dancers had some sloppy transitions if you ask me.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
What the gently caress. Siro-A was the best. This is going to be the first time since I started watching in AGT in season 3 that I'm not going to watch the show anymore. I'll probably watch Freelusion and the ladder climber guy in Hulu clips but that's it.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

That last bit from Freelusion was pretty insane.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Not one to tout singing in this competition but two good singers missed out and Siro-A, what the gently caress!? Didn't think stuttering guy would make it and thank god that loving puppet is done.

This season loving hurts. Go magic dragon guy.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Ladder dude falling sucks so bad. Although that act is boring to me after a few times.
Comedian was really funny tonight.
The ventriloquist was hilarious I thought. Hope he has another funny gimmick for finals.
Piff's first act is still the best but I've seen it outside of AGT.

I hope none of the singers make it through. Nothing was great with any of them tonight.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Three singing acts down, and Piff is through. Ladder man, comedian and Freelusion are on the bubble.

Apparently Penn and Teller tweeted out that Piff has something special for the finale, so I'm looking forward to it. Two singers to go though, and part of me thinks Stevie is going home.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RIP another singer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RIP all singers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I don't think a singer is going to win this year, and I doubt Freelusion are going to make it. Crazy effects and mediocre dancing aren't enough anymore.

• Locked thread