Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Spiteski posted:

So... the rest of whatever money is there is spent on games, takeaways (lunches etc) and energy drinks.

Dude. You have 2 kids, and are living at your parent's house. Are games, takeaways, energy drinks and $8,000 parties really the biggest priorities you have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Spiteski posted:

No. But being able to study is. Moving out of parents removes the possibility of studying as both me and my partner would need to take poo poo paying dead end jobs to afford living anywhere near family or friends. We've done that for the first 4 years of our oldest kids life. Studying is the only way we're gonna get out of that cycle.
Even if we were debt free and spent nothing on games food or anything other than bare necessities more than one of our total incomes would be gone just on rent. Let alone utilities.

I think you're missing the point. You don't need to spend your spare money on games, food and parties in order to study.

Studying is a way to help increase your future income, but to get out of the cycle of debt you need to change your mindset.

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Spiteski posted:

We've been gifted 5000 for the wedding, if we don't spend it on the wedding we don't get to spend it on other things.

Fine, spend $5,000 then, and don't add $3,000 that you don't have.

What are your long term goals for your family? It helps to plan out the future expenses (your own place sometime in the future, emergency savings) as a guide for sticking to a budget.

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Spiteski posted:

At the moment, the long term plan is to save money for a wedding in January, and then continue saving to get debt free by the end of my study period (3 years from this July) Our own place. If the rate at which we are saving for the wedding is sustainable for the length of time I am studying then any money we save will go towards our own house at the end of study/start of work,

If spending $3,000 on a party when you have two kids and a current net worth of -$48,600 sounds like a good plan, I'm not sure how much this thread will be able to help you.

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Spiteski posted:

While yes, a wedding is just a party it is also very important to both myself and my partner.

I've never been to New Zealand, but I am pretty sure that it doesn't cost $8,000 to get married. You can still have a pretty great party to celebrate for $5,000.

The fact that you have two children and no emergency savings is really irresponsible. What would you do if any kind of major expense came up? Ask mom and dad for (more) money?

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Spiteski posted:

I've not ever had income that has allowed for saving above and beyond day to day living, so no emergency savings to speak of.

Yes you have, you just wanted to spend money on fun things like games, takeaways and energy drinks. You're spending money on dumb things but don't want to be told they're dumb. Sorry, saving money and being an adult are boring.

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Spiteski posted:

Yea I have since we've been here at my parents studying. Which has been since this year. Sorry I haven't saved 20 grand in 5month? I don't know why you're so angry. I've laid out clearly that I am aware my spending while living here is poo poo, asked for help setting some spending guidelines for achieving a goal yet you've said nothing of value except restate what I've already admitted to but angrily.

You're right. Instead of telling you to cut back on unnecessary expenses and put money in the bank, I will tell you the One Weird Trick to save money!

You know what you need to do. You just don't want to do it because it kinda sucks, and there isn't an easy shortcut.

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Spiteski posted:

Surely by now you understand that I HAVE thought of spending less on takeaways and games.

Now that you've thought about it, you need to do it. Put the money in the bank instead. Voilą!

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Spiteski posted:

Yea this is correct, having two kids puts us in eligibility for it, and its sweet F-all anyway.
Working for families has two aspects, family tax credit, and in work tax credits. The former you are eligible for under any circumstance based on income, the latter you get if you are also working 30h+ a week. We only get the former part.

Also it should be noted that we have cancelled the wedding ceremony and reception and are going to do a registry office thing and have a 5yr re-wedding when we're both working. So no more over-5g budget to save for. All savings are now going on credit card first (as partner is about to be interest free for duration of study once more)

Sorry for not posting up the tally, had studying to do last night for an assessment, so here is the tally

Starting money monday morning: $26
Tuesday Pay(WFF): $157
Wednesday Pay: $361
Carpoolers Pay: $80
Total after Income for week: $624
Petrol cost total: $133.20
Credit card payment: $160
Vodafone bill(monthly came out both phones): $79.14
IRD repay: $20
Fines repay: $10
Supermarket shopping: $68 (this included slightly more than normal with my take-in lunch items)
1x Weak rear end moment where I got a bakery breakfast and coffee: $9.70
Remainder at end of week: $153.96

So I had one day where I didn't resist, which was poos but miles better improvement than previously. After taking away my starting cash I am pretty much $124 saved and if you include the payment on the credit card I have saved a pretty decent chunk of cash this week. I'm thinking if I can continue at this pace, then whatever over 100 I have at the end of week I can increase as payment on credit card to help that go quicker. Obviously weekly expenditures will ebb and flow with timing of bill payments (IE, my phones dont come out weekly, and other weekly shops / doctors visits can through this off)
I will say it was loving hard this week not buying stuff. Energy drinks are goddamn tempting. I also don't know how we'll go resisting using some of this money each weekend.

Two things:

1. I think it's very smart of you to cancel the big wedding reception. At this point, you cannot afford it. Are you also canceling the honeymoon trip?

Just because you are cancelling the formal reception doesn't mean you can't celebrate. Some of the best wedding celebrations I have ever been to are backyard bbqs with tons of friends and family. You could save up for a modest party and still celebrate this big event in your life.

2. You should set savings goals per week and put money away at the beginning of the week - before you are tempted to spend it on crap or on the weekend. Put $150 away and make it a game for everyone to get through the week on that amount. If you have leftover $, you can save that up for fun stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

It's good that you got that new loan, but you should still create a reasonable budget and focus on not wasting money on junk.

• Locked thread