Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I'm confused what you want to do with setting your goals in your situation. Are you trying to reach a specific point? Reduce debt by X amount by Y date, save 3000 dollars for wedding by this point, or is it to be financially responsible?

A lot of people in this thread are going to teach you how to be financially responsible, and although that's the best thing to work toward, unless you're on board with achieving your goals you're not going to get really far into this process. I recommend coming up with reasonable and feasible goals in concordance with the thread before bickering back and forth over what you or anyone finds acceptable.

Set your goals, then work on adjusting them, then use the thread as a resource to plan your actions in reaching your goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Spiteski posted:

Yea fair enough, I guess that's on me for being ambiguous. Or at least seeming like I just want to save money then continue being bad with it after January.
I guess the best thing I would hope for from going forwards is to set some weekly saving goals, reduce erroneous spending by a huge amount, and make the target of paying the extra money for the wedding and reducing non-student-loan debt completely by the end of next year. If I can stick to that then the remaining two years of study should yield a decent savings to help with moving costs or interim costs when starting post-degree work.

You're still being vague about what you want to accomplish, and the goals you want to set for yourself. Take a step back and think about what specifically you want to accomplish not how you want to accomplish it. Setting weekly savings goals is a procedure, along with "the extra money". What is the extra money, how much is that, what does it look like? Reducing non student loan debt completely is a goal. You said something specific, you gave a timeline that you want to hit it by, and it's measurable. So we'll write that down.

Goal number 1: Have zero non-student-loan debt by 12/31/2016

Over that amount of time that's about 4300 dollars so you'll have to pay about 250 a month toward your card, which brings you down to an average of 88 dollars a week toward your extras.

If your goal is that and 3 grand for the wedding it's probably not happening especially if you want to reduce student loan payments or be responsible and save money. If my math is off let me know.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Spiteski posted:

Is 4300 the 3600+ interest until the end of next year?

Yes it's a rough calculation of principal and interest

• Locked thread