Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Gyges posted:

So you're saying Obama's playing some 12 Dimensional chess over both the Ukraine and the Middle East.

That's not what I'm saying at all...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
The feds also raided CONCACAF HQ in Miami a couple hours ago.

If I'm on the IOC I'm torching documents.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

The feds also raided CONCACAF HQ in Miami a couple hours ago.

If I'm on the IOC I'm torching documents.

SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Dr. Tough posted:

Please tell me that Qatar and Russia will have the World Cup taken away. That would be so loving funny.

For as much benefit as they bring they should be forced to host the World Cup there as punishment. We should all be grateful the bidding is as corrupt as it is. Otherwise honest and earnest, but ignorant, countries that want it would get it.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I read the headline last night just before I went to bed and was convinced I was hallucinating.

With so many senior officials indicted in this round, many of whom have served on the executive committee, there's no way that some of them don't provide more material to the FBI. If I were any FIFA official who'd done something shady in the past twenty years, I'd start looking very closely at who has extradition treaties with the US and Switzerland.

On another note, Michael Garcia is probably having the time of his life.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Morrow posted:

I read the headline last night just before I went to bed and was convinced I was hallucinating.

With so many senior officials indicted in this round, many of whom have served on the executive committee, there's no way that some of them don't provide more material to the FBI. If I were any FIFA official who'd done something shady in the past twenty years, I'd start looking very closely at who has extradition treaties with the US and Switzerland.

If the US federal government brings me up on RICO, I'm gonna sing like a bird.

Holy poo poo they got CONCACAF too?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Best news I've read with my morning coffee in a long time.

Happy RICO to you
Happy RICO to you
Happy RIIIIICCCOOOOO dear FIFAAAA
Happy RICO to you!

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Morrow posted:

On another note, Michael Garcia is probably having the time of his life.

Yeah, I think a lot of RICO cases 'encourage' people in the middle of the chain to snitch upwards.

Sleep well, Sepp.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I've been hearing for years about how terrible FIFA is despite having no interest in soccer. Your organization has to be particularly terrible to find their way into other conversations in life. Enjoy our star spangled justice.

I learned about RICO from BCS too :shobon: good god they are hosed.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

I've been hearing for years about how terrible FIFA is despite having no interest in soccer.

Should you wish to learn a lot more:

quote:

Some of the worst offenses have gone unpunished. On the afternoon of Jan. 12, 2010, an earthquake rocked Haiti, right as the board of the nation’s soccer association was meeting in its ­Port-au-Prince headquarters. The president, Yves Jean-Bart, escaped lightly injured. As the building collapsed, rubble pinned coach Jean Yves Labaze, who died along with at least 31 others. The next day, when the phones were back up, Blatter called Jean-Bart and pledged help. FIFA said it sent $250,000 in aid to the head of North and Central American soccer at the time, Warner, in Trinidad and Tobago. A contributor from South Korea sent an additional $500,000. Jean-Bart says he got only a fraction of it. At first, “we got a small shipment of rice, but if you count it up it was worth less than $10,000,” he says. Additional assistance, for reopening offices, running matches, and other items, brought the total aid received to just $429,000, he says.

After Jean-Bart complained to FIFA and the regional confederation, Warner drew up an accounting of how the money was spent. A copy obtained by Bloomberg Businessweek shows receipts of more than $229,000 for generators, food, blankets, and other supplies from a Trinidad company whose address doesn’t appear to exist. Jean-Bart says he never received those supplies. More than $366,222 went toward bringing two Haitian soccer teams to Trinidad and other countries for matches, according to the ledger. Their flights were arranged by a Warner family travel agency, and their lodging was at Warner’s conference center—the one he built with FIFA money. Warner dragged Jean-Bart into it, too. The final section of the accounting shows $30,000 ­allocated to pay for Jean-Bart’s daughter’s medical school bills. Christina Jean-Bart says she didn’t receive any money and didn’t pursue medical school. Almost five years later, FIFA says it’s still investigating the Haitian matter.

quote:

For his 1998 campaign tour, Blatter relied on a Qatari named Mohamed bin Hammam, who ran Asia’s soccer confederation. Bin Hammam supplied cash and the use of a private jet for Blatter to crisscross Africa in pursuit of votes. In his book How They Stole the Game, David Yallop writes that cash bundles of $50,000 were handed out to African delegates in Paris before the vote.

quote:

Before the election in 2002, FIFA’s secretary general, lawyer Michel Zen-Ruffinen, compiled a report alleging abuse of power and mismanagement that was signed by 11 executive committee officers. “FIFA today is run like a dictatorship,” he wrote in the report. “It has been reduced to the Blatter organization.” Among the allegations were unauthorized payments by Blatter from FIFA accounts. All FIFA financial records from 1998 and earlier had vanished, making it impossible for FIFA staff or its KPMG auditors to assess the ­organization’s true finances, the report said.

quote:

A group of Europeans persuaded Issa Hayatou, the head of soccer in Africa, to stand against Blatter. At a meeting to discuss FIFA’s finances, the men from the Caribbean moved to put down the mutiny. Blatter backers, including the Caymans’ Webb, spoke up in Blatter’s favor. Boos and jeers rang out as dissenting voices were kept from the podium. A call from the Norwegian soccer association’s general secretary at the time, Karen Espelund, that Blatter’s opponents be heard was ignored. Blatter didn’t intervene, Espelund says. As she recalls it, the support for Blatter became strident. Libyan dictator Muammar Qaddafi’s son ­Al-Saadi, wearing a beret, took the stage to add his backing. A day later, Blatter wiped the floor with Hayatou, winning 139 to 56.

quote:

Less than a month before the ­election, members of the Caribbean Football Union gathered at a hotel in Trinidad to hear from bin Hammam. After he addressed the group, Warner took the stage and announced there would be gifts from bin Hammam for those in attendance. Later that day, delegates lined up at a hotel room door and entered one at a time. Inside, Caribbean soccer administrators handed each ­delegate an envelope stuffed with four stacks of $100 bills, each worth $10,000.

I could keep on keeping on quoting from that article forever. It's all one giant :staredog: of insane corruption.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This is also apparently Loretta Lynch's first big case as Attorney General, so I can't see her treating this one lightly. :getin:

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
Haha, can't think of a better way to reverse popular anti-american feelings about all those wars in ME than this.

Of all the countries, it is the US that ends up saving football.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Glah posted:

Haha, can't think of a better way to reverse popular anti-american feelings about all those wars in ME than this.

Of all the countries, it is the US that ends up saving football.

Sometimes, only Nixon can go to China.

Other times, only Nixon can bomb the hell out of Cambodia.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Really, the only bad thing about this is that the court documents will insist on calling the sport "soccer"

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

V. Illych L. posted:

Really, the only bad thing about this is that the court documents will insist on calling the sport "soccer"

Did just have that thought. Maybe this is all an American ploy to get the rest of the world to finally acknowledge the term "Soccer".

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

This is cool and good, friends.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

V. Illych L. posted:

Bear in mind that the British coined the word and we inherited it from them. Not our fault Europe later decided not to call it that. :v:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Okay in exchange for this Spain Argentina Italy Brazil England have to draw straws. The US gets to pick the best young striker/forward from the short straw's pool okay? Please it's ugly over here we need help.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Junior G-man posted:

Should you wish to learn a lot more:

I could keep on keeping on quoting from that article forever. It's all one giant :staredog: of insane corruption.

So do we know yet what the Justice Department is looking for exactly or are they just pulling what ever bullshit they can find.

Also, no records exist after 1998? What are the odds it turns out FIFA isn't exactly financially solvent?

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

V. Illych L. posted:

Do any other countries besides the US and Canada use the word "soccer"? I'm guessing that Australia does since they have their own sport that they call football.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

BigRed0427 posted:

So do we know yet what the Justice Department is looking for exactly or are they just pulling what ever bullshit they can find.

Also, no records exist after 1998? What are the odds it turns out FIFA isn't exactly financially solvent?

practically negligible, recording is almost certainly intentionally sloppy to make it easier to skim funds from the top and do back-room allocations

there is a frankly obscene amount of money in international football

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Hadaka Apron posted:

Do any other countries besides the US and Canada use the word "soccer"? I'm guessing that Australia does since they have their own sport that they call football.

the irish may also do it, since they also have their own perverse not-football, i dunno

the important point is all these nations are dumb and wrong

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

I think specifically they're looking at bribery by sports & betting companies related to contract acquisition with FIFA and the different World Cups.

The Swiss investigation seems to be more about how the hell Qatar & Russia got the WC nod.

And yeah, the destroyed records are much more likely about hiding corrupt payments etc than about hiding insolvency. FIFA made something like 5bn dollars during the last World Cup and has a 1bn+ reserve; they're not broke any time soon.

Pubbie Spai
Apr 13, 2012

What talent do men value most?

V. Illych L. posted:

As long as they call it soccer, instead of insisting on calling it football or futball im all good. Its a win in my book.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

quote:

FBI director Comey is asked why it took so long for Fifa to be called out on the carpet. He cites the the complexity of the case in addition to the international component.

“You don’t want to bring a case until you have the goods and that takes time,” he says.

I'm sooo close :fap:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tbh russia getting the WC isn't that insane imo, though obviously also corrupt

qatar, though, lol. just lol you can't even play football in qatar in the summer

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

V. Illych L. posted:

tbh russia getting the WC isn't that insane imo, though obviously also corrupt

qatar, though, lol. just lol you can't even play football in qatar in the summer

well, who knows what you can achieve on a literal pile of corpses per game:

quote:

Fifa’s sponsors, though, are deemed more reachable. This week has seen the launch of a campaign by the International Trade Union Confederation, Play Fair Qatar and the NewFifaNow group to shame them with the appalling conditions endured by labourers building tournament infrastructure for 2022. “As things stand,” declares Play Fair Qatar, “more than 62 workers will die for each game played during the 2022 tournament.”

To repeat: more than 62 per game. Perhaps players in every match could each wear 62 black armbands. Then again, that would probably contravene Fifa’s strict rules on what constitutes official kit, infringements of which it punishes ferociously. On infringements such as mass slave death, however, the evidence suggests it is more relaxed.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Hadaka Apron posted:

British upper-class schoolboys who also call rugby 'rugger'.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BigRed0427 posted:

It's the FBI and a RICO case which means they will literally find unpaid parking tickets and add that to the list of charges. Like if the FBI bringing charges against you you're basically hosed. If they bring a RICO case against you then both you and the next several generations of your family are proper hosed.

Bob James posted:

It means the Scales of Justice are going to be rammed up your rear end.

This is not an exaggeration in any way on whats about to happen to those FIFA executive right now.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

This is not an exaggeration in any way on whats about to happen to those FIFA executive right now.

Why do you say this WRT how permissive American corporate culture is and how much legal protections rich people get?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Baron Porkface posted:

Why do you say this WRT how permissive American corporate culture is and how much legal protections rich people get?

Because FIFA used American banks on American soil to commit multi-million dollar fraud. The DOJ is going to protect those banks by burning FIFA to the ground.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guavanaut posted:

British upper-class schoolboys who also call rugby 'rugger'.

rugger is a rugby player

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

MechaStalin posted:

The sick thing about this is that if FIFA were an American organization they would be politically protected and considered 'TBTF'.

The sicker thing is that this is unironically only possible precisely because Americans don't give a poo poo about soccer so FIFA is less untouchable than it is anywhere else on the planet.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Adar posted:

The sicker thing is that this is unironically only possible precisely because Americans don't give a poo poo about soccer so FIFA is less untouchable than it is anywhere else on the planet.

Yeah I think a big part of this is that the U.S. Is most well equipped to take on FIFA because of:

A: RICO
B: lukewarm national sentiment towards soccer. If this were the UK or Germany for example then FIFA could threaten to ban them from International competition as effective leverage

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Sepp and the gang deserve every bit of this, but I hope this doesn't derail the coming vote to expel Israel out of FIFA in two days.

also, fat chance that the NFL ever get nabbed for building bogus stadium projects as political bribes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Al-Saqr posted:

also, fat chance that the NFL ever get nabbed for building bogus stadium projects as political bribes.

Their MO is usually to have the politicians build the stadiums as bribes to the NFL.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
in a move that I'm sure will surprise everyone, Russia is going to bat for FIFA

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Baron Porkface posted:

Money and power don't mean poo poo when it's a RICO case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racketeer_Influenced_and_Corrupt_Organizations_Act#Famous_cases

Read up on the Key West PD, Michael Milken, Scott W. Rothstein, and AccessHealthSource cases. Those are police departments, major corporations, and/or obscenely rich and powerful people that under normal circumstances would be virtually untouchable under the law except a RICO case basically ruins them.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
meanwhile, wall street execs are rewarded for bankrupting half of all Americans. good job, Rico act.

*runs away after trollish statement*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

meanwhile, wall street execs are rewarded for bankrupting half of all Americans. good job, Rico act.

*runs away after trollish statement*

That's actually a stupid statement, not a troll.

• Locked thread