Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Between this and the Russians getting hammered over their athletics performance by Dick Pound, we live in an amazing time for sporting names. :allears:

I feel I'm living in a very immature person's fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Darth Walrus posted:

Between this and the Russians getting hammered over their athletics performance by Dick Pound, we live in an amazing time for sporting names. :allears:

I can't believe I just googled "Dick Pound" and that it's a real person.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Badger of Basra posted:

e: the fifth guy is Tokyo Sexwale

Give this man the job, because the only thing that could possibly make the FIFA clusterfuck even more beautiful is hearing a news anchor say the words "according to a statement by FIFA president Sex Whale."

If I were a football executive, my voting strategy at this point would be to maximise hilarity above everything else.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Boris Galerkin posted:

I can't believe I just googled "Dick Pound" and that it's a real person.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

blowfish posted:

Give this man the job, because the only thing that could possibly make the FIFA clusterfuck even more beautiful is hearing a news anchor say the words "according to a statement by FIFA president Sex Whale."

If I were a football executive, my voting strategy at this point would be to maximise hilarity above everything else.

It's not as if this huge scandal has any effect on the normal business of football. The national league competitions are unaffected, the Copa Libertadores or UEFA Champions League continue to print money, everything is fine except that advertising at the next World Cup may be less profitable. So there would be no harm in going maximum hilarity.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

There are no words.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

That image is there because Dick Pound knows what his name entails, and intends to use it to maximum advantage.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
New arrests.

quote:

ZURICH — Swiss authorities began a new series of pre-dawn arrests Thursday in the broad investigation, led by United States officials, into corruption in international soccer. More than a dozen people were expected to be charged, law enforcement officials said, nearly doubling the size of an already huge case that has upended FIFA, soccer’s multibillion-dollar governing body.

At least some of the arrests took place at the same luxury hotel where other FIFA officials were arrested in May. As Swiss police arrived at the hotel, the Baur au Lac, at 6 a.m. local time, a hotel manager told visitors in the lobby they had to leave the property because of “an extreme situation.”

The police were targeting current and former senior soccer officials on charges that include racketeering, money laundering and fraud, authorities said. The new charges were expected to hit South and Central American soccer leaders particularly hard, the officials said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/03/sports/fifa-scandal-arrests-in-switzerland.html

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
God drat, RICO is some pretty deep poo poo to be in.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

They should really stop going to that hotel.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

:unsmith:

At least something nice happened today.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SlipUp posted:

This is what people were saying when this thread started: RICO may be slow moving, but it's some of the nastiest laws on the books in the US.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Sounds like someone in the first wave rolled and they're moving on up the chain.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I am shocked to learn of corruption in South American soccer. Shocked I tell you.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

"At least some of the arrests took place at the same luxury hotel where other FIFA officials were arrested in May."

:lol: :lol:

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Badger of Basra posted:

They should really stop going to that hotel.

But the amenities!

Powercrazy posted:

And this one world government will be a benevolent overseer. Free from corruption, and certainly not an opportunity for people like Hillary Clinton to pursue their own selfish interests of power while helping their donors along the way

Wow you're obsessed with Hillary. I thought that dude in the other thread who noted you talk about her in threads totally unrelated to her was exaggerating, but holy poo poo.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

paragon1 posted:

I am shocked to learn of corruption in South American soccer. Shocked I tell you.

It is a feverish hope of mine that someone in FIFA rolls and in the process namedrops some IOC members. Seeing the IOC get strung up alongside FIFA would be wonderful beyond words since everyone knows the IOC is just as bad as, if not worse than, FIFA when it comes to corruption.

Hopefully after the inevitable disease pandemic that is going to hit Rio-bound Olympians the IOC is at least forced to not pick literal toxic waste sites for future games.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Cythereal posted:

This is what people were saying when this thread started: RICO may be slow moving, but it's some of the nastiest laws on the books in the US.

As someone else already said, RICO cases are when rich white men get told they're being tried like poor minority teens.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, the thread atmosphere change from "oh good, we're arresting some dudes for corruption, it won't really matter" to "Jesus Christ, they're bringing RICO charges, Sepp Blatter and everyone he's ever met are going to the pokey forever" was hilarious.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yeah, the thread atmosphere change from "oh good, we're arresting some dudes for corruption, it won't really matter" to "Jesus Christ, they're bringing RICO charges, Sepp Blatter and everyone he's ever met are going to the pokey forever" was hilarious.

Yeah, I would personally rather be brought up on charges related to the Patriot act or the Alien & Sedition acts than the RICO act.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yeah, that's the thing with RICO. Blatter himself may still be free as of this moment, but the moment RICO was ever mentioned in relation to FIFA then you can rest assured he is going to probably spend the rest of his life in prison once it's his turn.

Evil Fluffy posted:

It is a feverish hope of mine that someone in FIFA rolls and in the process namedrops some IOC members. Seeing the IOC get strung up alongside FIFA would be wonderful beyond words since everyone knows the IOC is just as bad as, if not worse than, FIFA when it comes to corruption.

Hopefully after the inevitable disease pandemic that is going to hit Rio-bound Olympians the IOC is at least forced to not pick literal toxic waste sites for future games.

You know, that would be an interesting turn of events if, when picked up by feds, Blatter has some sort of smoking gun to launch an investigation into the IOC that Blatter uses to try and leverage leniency.

It won't help him, mind you, but it would be interesting none the less.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

DeathSandwich posted:

Yeah, that's the thing with RICO. Blatter himself may still be free as of this moment, but the moment RICO was ever mentioned in relation to FIFA then you can rest assured he is going to probably spend the rest of his life in prison once it's his turn.

You know, that would be an interesting turn of events if, when picked up by feds, Blatter has some sort of smoking gun to launch an investigation into the IOC that Blatter uses to try and leverage leniency.

Leniency for bosses in RICO cases is like getting 1-2 of the 10 life sentences taken off.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Leniency for bosses in RICO cases is like getting 1-2 of the 10 life sentences taken off.

Hence the line "It won't help him, mind you" :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DeathSandwich posted:

If someone at FIFA said "hey I can give you evidence that lets you nail the IOC to the wall but I want a sweet plea deal" they're going to get it. Maybe Obama and others care enough about the Olympics to not want to destroy the IOC but even if that's the case I strongly suspect that'll change after Rio if/when Olympians contract a bunch of nasty illnesses since the water in the competition area is basically sewage.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Any prosecutor worth their salt would happily provide a very generous plea deal for the right kind of evidence against the IOC.

Bonus comedy if it somehow circles around and hits Romney for SLC.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Evil Fluffy posted:

If someone at FIFA said "hey I can give you evidence that lets you nail the IOC to the wall but I want a sweet plea deal" they're going to get it. Maybe Obama and others care enough about the Olympics to not want to destroy the IOC but even if that's the case I strongly suspect that'll change after Rio if/when Olympians contract a bunch of nasty illnesses since the water in the competition area is basically sewage.

RICO don't stop for nobody once it gets rolling. Obama will be gone in a year and this RICO case will still be dragging people in, if they can get IOC people, great, screw those guys too. That might actually get more world wide good will to the US than FIFA.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Feds just pulled a senior Guatemalan judge off a cruise ship docked in Florida.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/12/0...www.google.com/

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

A athlete who was doing test runs in preparation for the Brazil summer olympics got a bad case of flesh eating bacteria.

SlipUp posted:

RICO was so devastating to the mob since it focuses on peeling organization bottom to top using incentives such as plea bargains or immunity.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

etalian posted:

A athlete who was doing test runs in preparation for the Brazil summer olympics got a bad case of flesh eating bacteria.

I know. There's a few others with a bunch of illnesses and rashes/sores/etc due to the horrific conditions of the places they're practicing in. Like if Olympians die due to the conditions there I'm not going to be surprised. :sigh:

e: TI'd be ok with the NFL getting hit next instead of the IOC. Surely someone in some city crossed a line with the tax incentives and other billion dollar handouts.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 4, 2015

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
I definitely heard all the stories coming in to this and I knew these guys were screwed. I've just never seen it in action before. The only other time I personally remember it coming up was one of those corrupt juvie judges. Watching it drag a corrupt international organization down to cannibalize itself in real time is pretty loving amazing. This is the most high profile RICO case ever.

I'd be worried if I was the IOC.

Maybe they can do the NFL next.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have a hard time imagining anyone in Justice hates their career enough to go after the NFL.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ocrumsprug posted:

I have a hard time imagining anyone in Justice hates their career enough to go after the NFL.

Who are they going to piss off going after the NFL? They aren't goign to be cancelling games, they are going to be arresting team owners, who people generally hate anyway.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powercrazy posted:

Who are they going to piss off going after the NFL? They aren't goign to be cancelling games, they are going to be arresting team owners, who people generally hate anyway.

Private money isn't building those stadiums.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ocrumsprug posted:

I know the Patriot's is built with private money, surely its not the only one.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

ocrumsprug posted:

If a mayor or even a congressman gets caught up in a RICO case it's not the Justice department who should be worried. They just pulled the Guatemalan equivalent of a supreme justice off a cruise ship and slapped him with a racketeering charge. I doubt they're afraid of Jim Dear or who ever the gently caress.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

SlipUp posted:

I definitely heard all the stories coming in to this and I knew these guys were screwed. I've just never seen it in action before. The only other time I personally remember it coming up was one of those corrupt juvie judges. Watching it drag a corrupt international organization down to cannibalize itself in real time is pretty loving amazing. This is the most high profile RICO case ever.

I'd be worried if I was the IOC.

Maybe they can do the NFL next.

To be honest if we're talking about hypothetical dream scenario I'd rather them go after the NCAA before NFL. The amount of exploitation happening to college athletes ought to be criminal.

Granted Last Week Tonight isn't considered a high brow source but I still feel this is relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX8BXH3SJn0

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Yeah, the NCAA is super hosed up too.

The fact that every major sports organization is corrupt as gently caress at the highest levels has been the worst kept secret in sports for almost a century.

The argument has always been "Who has the time or energy to go after the NCAA/NFL/whoever." Well luckily the justice department certainly does!

SlipUp fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 4, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Jarmak posted:

Boston is the only city in the nation where the arenas/stadiums used by pro sports teams are privately owned/funded IIRC. There has to be some illegal poo poo going on in places like Atlanta with the new stadium garbage going on there.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jarmak posted:

Boston had to play hardball with the Patriots to avoid paying for the stadium and for a time the Patriots were going to move to Hartford as a result. Boston has a fairly good negotiating position because it is essentially the only city in New England and you just can't ignore that whole market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

What's happening in Atlanta it's probably perfectly legal, just incredibly racist, which is part for the course. You know what folks in Dekalb County say MARTA stands for right?

• Locked thread