Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Octatonic posted:

What's happening in Atlanta it's probably perfectly legal, just incredibly racist, which is part for the course. You know what folks in Dekalb County say MARTA stands for right?

Statistically speaking very few people in this thread know what they call MARTA because we don't live in the area, so you may as well just say it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
e: ^^^ Moving Africans Rapidly Through Atlanta.

Octatonic posted:

What's happening in Atlanta it's probably perfectly legal, just incredibly racist, which is part for the course. You know what folks in Dekalb County say MARTA stands for right?

I lived in Atlanta for several years. I'm well aware of MARTA's alternate term (and a few that don't spell 'MARTA') and I see friends in the area posting about the eternal fuckup that is the new Stadium and the impossible logistics regularly. I know Nathan Deal is an incredibly corrupt motherfucker but the stadium is just all sorts of horrible.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 4, 2015

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

I lived in Atlanta for several years. I'm well aware of that MARTA term (and a few that don't spell 'MARTA') and I see friends in the area posting about the eternal fuckup that is the new Stadium and the impossible logistics regularly. I know Nathan Deal is an incredibly corrupt motherfucker but the stadium is just all sorts of horrible.

Fair enough. I don't live down there anymore so maybe I'm just still consumed by the cynicism I built up.

E: it's just that I heard too much bullshit about not wanting to go to "rough neighborhoods" to watch a game.

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 4, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

SlipUp posted:

This is the most high profile RICO case ever.

Nahh, that would be the John Gotti case since he actually managed to dodge the first RICO case against him... by bribing a juror who later served three years after a different RICO case uncovered it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I question how much organized criminality goes on in the NCAA, NFL and other big American leagues. There's tons of disorganized criminality by teams/schools, players and coaches, sure, but thats not what RICO was made for. Like do you think that they go around rigging the Superbowl sites or accepting bribes for advertising contracts? Maybe in individual sports, boxing/tennis/golf and the like, but not in the big four or college sports world.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Cliff Racer posted:

I question how much organized criminality goes on in the NCAA, NFL and other big American leagues. There's tons of disorganized criminality by teams/schools, players and coaches, sure, but thats not what RICO was made for. Like do you think that they go around rigging the Superbowl sites or accepting bribes for advertising contracts? Maybe in individual sports, boxing/tennis/golf and the like, but not in the big four or college sports world.
You can be a sleazy fucker on your own time. It's when your sleazy fucker boss is telling you to do sleazy loving things as a matter of everyday business, and you're not paying taxes or making DAs look bad with your sleazy loving - that's different. You can't do that in America.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Jonked posted:

You can be a sleazy fucker on your own time. It's when your sleazy fucker boss is telling you to do sleazy loving things as a matter of everyday business, and you're not paying taxes or making DAs look bad with your sleazy loving - that's different. You can't do that in America.

The trouble is there are so many sleazy fucker things you can do just this side of legality.

SlipUp posted:

I definitely heard all the stories coming in to this and I knew these guys were screwed. I've just never seen it in action before. The only other time I personally remember it coming up was one of those corrupt juvie judges. Watching it drag a corrupt international organization down to cannibalize itself in real time is pretty loving amazing. This is the most high profile RICO case ever.

I'd be worried if I was the IOC.

Maybe they can do the NFL next.

Formula One :getin:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Formula One :getin:

What's going on that's so corrupt in Formula One?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, at least in F1's case the lovely races in places nobody likes are openly buying their way in.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cliff Racer posted:

Like do you think that they go around rigging the Superbowl sites or accepting bribes for advertising contracts? Maybe in individual sports, boxing/tennis/golf and the like, but not in the big four or college sports world.

I can absolutely see this happening with the BCS games. If there isn't a bunch of shady poo poo going on with that I'd be stunned.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Evil Fluffy posted:

I can absolutely see this happening with the BCS games. If there isn't a bunch of shady poo poo going on with that I'd be stunned.

Well the same cities host that every year and its the traditional ones that had been hosting big bowls for fifty plus years. Unless they changed it up to not just be some of the default big bowl games?

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Cliff Racer posted:

Yeah, at least in F1's case the lovely races in places nobody likes are openly buying their way in.

Bernie's stroke of genius: it's not corruption if it's openly a pay-to-play scheme!

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

That's how they'll reorganise FIFA. Just auction the world cup off. Make a big party out of it.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Cliff Racer posted:

Well the same cities host that every year and its the traditional ones that had been hosting big bowls for fifty plus years. Unless they changed it up to not just be some of the default big bowl games?

It could be a bigger deal if or more likely, when, they expand the playoffs. Either they'll have to continue having bowls represent semis/quarterfinals, or it'll just be a thing bid on like who and where host the March Madness games.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cliff Racer posted:

There's a rotating schedule of the New Year's bowls to host the playoffs (Rose, Sugar, Orange, Cotton, Fiesta, and Peach Bowls). The championship game is apparently by bid though, so there's some potential for corruption there.

foobardog posted:

It could be a bigger deal if or more likely, when, they expand the playoffs. Either they'll have to continue having bowls represent semis/quarterfinals, or it'll just be a thing bid on like who and where host the March Madness games.

You won't really see an issue with that unless they expand the playoffs beyond 12 teams due to the above rotation, and I don't think anyone really wants that (at most people want 8 teams).

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
They chose the loving Peach Bowl over the Citrus Bowl? Well, I guess the CB lost any cache it had after it renamed itself after an insurance company.

Despatcher
Nov 26, 2007
Generously Syndromed
Shut the gently caress up about rubbish American Sports and get back to commenting on the crushing justice that is going through FIFA like a righteous cleansing.

BBC article on the scandal:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35007626

It mentions this tonight:

Panorama: Fifa, Sepp Blatter and Me is on BBC One at 20:30 GMT on Monday, 7 December and available to watch later via BBC iPlayer

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Apparantly the UEFA found an old note showing FIFA was aware of Platini's extra million of swiss franc salary/bonus since 1998. Looks like he could dodge any indictment and should be able to be candidate to the presidency?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
More like "found" an "old note" I bet.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

blowfish posted:

More like "found" an "old note" I bet.
Still if Platini out-blatters Blatter and get the presidency it will be hilarious.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

We shall live in a state of permanent FIFA prosecution.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

blowfish posted:

We shall live in a state of permanent FIFA prosecution.

Welcome to RICO bitches.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Fifa president Sepp Blatter and Uefa boss Michel Platini have been suspended for eight years from all football-related activities following an ethics investigation (he's still FIFA president however).

quote:

They were found guilty of breaches surrounding a £1.3m ($2m) "disloyal payment" made to Platini in 2011.
The Fifa ethics committee found Blatter and Platini had demonstrated an "abusive execution" of their positions.
"I will fight for me and for Fifa," Blatter, 79, said at a news conference.
Platini said the decision was a "masquerade" intended to "dirty" his name.
Both men continue to deny wrongdoing and intend to appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas).
Swiss Blatter and 60-year-old Frenchman Platini have also been fined £33,700 ($40,000) and £54,000 ($80,000) respectively.
Fifa boss since 1998, Blatter had already announced he was quitting with a presidential election in February.
Platini was tipped as a future leader of football's world governing body and is a three-time European Footballer of the Year.
He is also a former captain of France and has been in charge of Uefa - European football's governing body - since 2007.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
This thread went quiet for awhile so I was like :geno: oh I guess it all petered out.

I'm now feeling a combo of :munch: for what's happening to FIFA specifically and :stare: that the US Dept. of Justice can do this kinda thing.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Xibanya posted:

This thread went quiet for awhile so I was like :geno: oh I guess it all petered out.

I'm now feeling a combo of :munch: for what's happening to FIFA specifically and :stare: that the US Dept. of Justice can do this kinda thing.

These aren't technically related to the DOJ investigation.

Still, RICO charges don't gently caress around. Once the lower levels of an organization start to go down, it's only a matter of time before the top goes as well, so you might want to get your affairs in order.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I imagine an 8 year ban for Sepp might as well be a life ban, he's like 80 years old right?

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
How can you keep a straight face banning a dude from the sport for 8 years and leaving him the loving presidency of the organization.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SlipUp posted:

How can you keep a straight face banning a dude from the sport for 8 years and leaving him the loving presidency of the organization.

That's FIFA!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SlipUp posted:

Money and practice.

To an outsider (i.e. football-illiterate American that I am) it mostly sounds like they're just using all the noise to air some dirty laundry. The lower downs get to wag their fingers at Blatter while not actually taking any action, and Blatter gets to look like he's being punished without being actually punished.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Alkydere posted:

Money and practice.

To an outsider (i.e. football-illiterate American that I am) it mostly sounds like they're just using all the noise to air some dirty laundry. The lower downs get to wag their fingers at Blatter while not actually taking any action, and Blatter gets to look like he's being punished without being actually punished.

He had a press conference where he basically said "Suck it nerds, I'm still the President of FIFA."

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Fifa president Sepp Blatter and Uefa boss Michel Platini have been suspended for eight years from all football-related activities following an ethics investigation (he's still FIFA president however).

I like how the fine for an 1.3m payment isn't even 6 figures.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Xibanya posted:

You'll be hearing about this stuff for a while - as in, literally years. Some RICO cases have spawned subsequent RICO cases that circled back around to the original case, because somebody new had old dirt. In a bit we'll get a whole bunch of excitement when more people get arrested... then another burst of excitement has people go to trial... and then another burst as people start getting convicted. But there's going to lots and lots paperwork and legal bickering in between all of it, enough that people'll forget that stuff is going on anyway.

So think of it as a random Christmas with a Santa whose a little demented.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

He had a press conference where he basically said "Suck it nerds, I'm still the President of FIFA."

He's still the president of EVERYTHING

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

FIFA disagrees with him on this and the weird thing is, I think he genuinely believes his word is more important than the entire organisation.

He's not active president. He holds an honorary position and isn't capable of exerting authority. Also it's FIFA, literally all they do is pick the world cup, bribe each other, and pay the tax skim off their massive cash reserves to Switzerland.

Toplowtech posted:

Apparantly the UEFA found an old note showing FIFA was aware of Platini's extra million of swiss franc salary/bonus since 1998. Looks like he could dodge any indictment and should be able to be candidate to the presidency?

It's completely irrelevant. If Platini didn't hand in requests every year, Swiss law says it's not allowed to be part of the accounts. It is a payment against the interests of the organisation you are legally responsible for, as far as the Swiss are concerned. A "disloyal payment" is a criminal action. Platini is done forever.

Tokyo Sexwale, a man mysteriously rich from gold and diamonds after being locked up alongside Mandela in Robben Island, is the favourite.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 23, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Spangly A posted:

FIFA disagrees with him on this and the weird thing is, I think he genuinely believes his word is more important than the entire organisation.

He's not active president. He holds an honorary position and isn't capable of exerting authority. Also it's FIFA, literally all they do is pick the world cup, bribe each other, and pay the tax skim off their massive cash reserves to Switzerland.
Blatter probably got used to FIFAs main purpose being turning millionaires into multimillionaires that he forgot about the never publicly admitting it part.

quote:

Tokyo Sexwale, a man mysteriously rich from gold and diamonds after being locked up alongside Mandela in Robben Island, is the favourite.
Name recognition bonus best bonus.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Tokyo Sexwale sounds like the name a goon would choose for themselves.

edit: mods please change fishmech's name to Tokyo Sexwale.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Discendo Vox posted:

mods please change fishmech's name to Tokyo Sexwale.

seconding this motion

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Discendo Vox posted:

Tokyo Sexwale sounds like the name a goon would choose for themselves.

edit: mods please change fishmech's name to Tokyo Sexwale.

There is a Tokyo Sexwhale on the forums, I believe.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

You can't have too many Sexwales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Subjunctive posted:

Can we instead petition to change Fishmech's name to honor governor Butch Otter?

• Locked thread