Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
LOL if only now, at the end, do you know about Tokyo Sexwale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

A sexwale is the deck of a cruise ship that had been reinforced for carnal debauchery.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just to be clear, it's pronounced "sex whale", right?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

mobby_6kl posted:

Just to be clear, it's pronounced "sex whale", right?

Sadly I think it's pronounced "sekwalay"

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Spangly A posted:

Tokyo Sexwale, a man mysteriously rich from gold and diamonds after being locked up alongside Mandela in Robben Island, is the favourite.

Its not really mysterious how he made his fortune, when the ANC came to power they pursued a policy of black economic empowerment (BEE) and specifically targeted the mining and extractive sector in the early days. In order to secure new prospecting or mining licences companies had to have a certain percentage of shares owned by black run investment vehicles. At the same time the big five mining companies launched an unbundling/restructuring of their assets encouraged by the government to try to break apart the massive unwieldy super corporations like Anglo American that had developed under Apartheid when foreign companies weren't too keen to set up shop in South Africa.

Suddenly mining companies needed to find black entrepreneurs as partners and considering the resources available to the average black citizen the only individuals with the connections (and political capital) to raise the kind of funds needed to create the new black investment vehicles were well placed party cadres like Sexwale. Sexwale made a lot of his money as the black economic empowerment partner to the massive Rembrandt group, owned by the billionaire Rupert family.

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 24, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Kurtofan posted:

Sadly I think it's pronounced "sekwalay"

Doesn't mean you can't mispronounce it :sun:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Reviving this thread because FIFA's General Secretariat is now being run by Fatma Samba Diouf Samoura, whose main experience comes from working for the UN Development Program and running UN food programs, and will hopefully have no time for all this soccer boys' club corruption bullshit. :c00lbutt: (Not as if the UNDP and WFP don't have corruption problems of their own, of course :un:)

It's also worthy to note that the Secretary General position was Sepp Blatter's stepping stone to the Presidency.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Oh, hey, FIFA got raided again.

Though in fairness, I suppose it is pretty easy to tell yourself that giving yourself an$80 million bonus is a good idea.

• Locked thread