Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
These officals getting off the hook with a fine because of their power is pretty laughable. Rothstein was extremely well connected in the American financial and legal sectors and as an individual had at least $1.2 billion in illegal funds alone. He cooperated well beyond good faith. He owned his own loving ace legal firm:

wiki posted:

His firm had 70 lawyers and 150 employees, with offices in Boca Raton, West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Tallahassee, Florida, New York and Caracas, Venezuela. The firm focused on labor and employment matters, civil rights, intellectual property, internet law, corporate espionage, personal injury, wrongful death, commercial litigation, real estate, mergers and acquisitions, and governmental relations.[7] His client list included: Citicorp, J. C. Penney, Ed Morse Automotive Group, National Beverage, Silversea Cruise Lines, Supra Telecom, and Wells Fargo.[8] Until he was permanently disbarred by the Florida Supreme Court on November 25, 2009, Rothstein was a member of the Florida Bar and admitted by the United States Supreme Court. He had been given an "AV" peer review rating by Martindale-Hubbell.

50 years, federal prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Michael Conahan and Mark Ciavarella are two more good examples of modern RICO cases. They took money in exchange for giving guilty verdicts. This very simple crime alone is consider an act of wire fraud, mail fraud, tax evasion, money laundering, and honest services fraud. After the federal investigators went through everything with a fine tooth comb and a microscope those two ended up with 48 counts total for 20 and 30 years federal time respectively.

Also as far as I'm aware no RICO sentence has ever been reduced, and some have gone to some extreme extents w/g/t good behaviour, acts of contrition, or money invested to try.

SlipUp fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 28, 2015

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
At this point if you are a FIFA official under indictment you should spill everything ASAP, these deals are in extremely limited quantity. HSBC already got the sweet deal for tipping off the DOJ and providing records. That's enough to indict these people and definitely have them see jail time. Historically, anyone who rolls at this point is looking at a 15 year sentence instead of 30 sorta thing.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Despatcher posted:

Can they really secure a 30 year jail term in the states for a Football association president/representative from another nation? Seems unlikely.

These guys they already have. There's no bail going to be set (Typical in RICO cases) because of extreme flight risk. If someone else took a bribe and were fortunate enough not to get picked up in the initial raid, they could conceivably flee to a country that doesn't have extradition, and hopefully the diplomatic arm of their government will try negotiating something. Of course the Swiss and the Brits smell blood in the water and have their own charges they want to bring now, so you can assume Interpol is in on this now so the EU is a no go, and everywhere there is extradition with the USA or the EU. Oh and there has been zero indication any of these guy's home country is willing to go to bat for them, a lot of these guys might even end up arrested if they go home.

So basically flee to Qatar and hope they set you up with a sweet penthouse instead of making you a slave laborer to die an indignant death on the construction site of the stadium you commissioned through fraud for a quick buck.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Gorau posted:

Am I reading that wiki article about the RICO statute right? If these people want bail they're going to have to cough up triple the amount they're accused or enriching themselves with? As in collectively they'd have to cough up 480 million dollars?

Yes, but that's only if they don't consider you a flight risk. There's no bail at all in that case. These guys will almost definitely be considered a flight risk.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
God drat, RICO is some pretty deep poo poo to be in.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
I definitely heard all the stories coming in to this and I knew these guys were screwed. I've just never seen it in action before. The only other time I personally remember it coming up was one of those corrupt juvie judges. Watching it drag a corrupt international organization down to cannibalize itself in real time is pretty loving amazing. This is the most high profile RICO case ever.

I'd be worried if I was the IOC.

Maybe they can do the NFL next.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

ocrumsprug posted:

Private money isn't building those stadiums.

If a mayor or even a congressman gets caught up in a RICO case it's not the Justice department who should be worried. They just pulled the Guatemalan equivalent of a supreme justice off a cruise ship and slapped him with a racketeering charge. I doubt they're afraid of Jim Dear or who ever the gently caress.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Yeah, the NCAA is super hosed up too.

The fact that every major sports organization is corrupt as gently caress at the highest levels has been the worst kept secret in sports for almost a century.

The argument has always been "Who has the time or energy to go after the NCAA/NFL/whoever." Well luckily the justice department certainly does!

SlipUp fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
How can you keep a straight face banning a dude from the sport for 8 years and leaving him the loving presidency of the organization.

• Locked thread